Building a website - using flash gallery (Autoviewer)

Edit My Images
No
I recently took shots at an anniversary party for a friend's parents. It went well and I actually got paid for my work (woohoo!). This was a first for me, so bolstered with confidence I'd now like to take on a few other small projects and hopefully make a few quid along the way.

So I'm looking to build my own (very basic) website showcasing some of my photos,

I've already created a flash gallery using the free software Autoviewer and this looks really great.
I'd now I'like to feature it in a pretty basic site.

I'm keen on the style of something like this:
www.mawsonsnet.co.uk
It uses the Autoviewer too, and is very simple and clean-looking.
At this stage I don't need so many pages- it's more the look and feel I'm after.

Can anyone advise me how to create a site like this?

Preferably in as simple (non-technical) language as possible! And preferably using free tools if that's possible. Without Dreamweaver/Front Page etc. can this be done? Excuse my ignorance!

Alternatively what about creating a blog page in something like Wordpress? Could their templates be adapted to look 'professional' enough? Would I need to be a rocket scientist to incorporate an Autoviewer gallery in it?

All help greatly appreciated.

That is pretty much what I want from my site, although I will be coding the XHTML/CSS myself so can't really help with a non technical way of doing it...

If there are no better suggestions a good HTML book from your local library should be able to give you the skills you need, as the bulk of the complicated stuff is happening in autoviewer...

I'm incorporating simple viewer into my site as well.

I like the site the OP has posted, it makes me keep wanting to go to the next image, which is cool.

Only problem with simpleviewer is it can't handle large quantities of pics.

I like the site the OP has posted, it makes me keep wanting to go to the next image, which is cool.

So do I. SimpleVeiwer looks good when you want to post a lot of shots up, but for me I think I just want to have a limted portfolio up and the OP's example site is great for that.

Can anyone advise me how to create a site like this?

Hi Steven,

Creating a site like this is fairly staright forward, if you have a bit of webdesign expierience. If you don't, then it could be a bit tricky.

Do you have any expierience using xhtml & CSS, or even tables (despite the fact that they are old technology and slowly on their way out!)?

if you do, then using autoviewer is fairly easy, just creat a div and add it to it.

this can be done without dreamweaver or the dreaded ms frontpage!!! if you know how to code you can just use text pad, or something like .edit

If you don't then i suggest you find someone that does and ask for their help!

People think that webdesign is easy, it is reasonably, but building a site like that, despite its simplicity, takes some practise.!

HTH,

if i can be of any further help please let me know.

oh one thing i forgot to say was that updating your photos using autoviewer is brilliant, they are all controlled using .xml sheets!!! ;)

Hi
Yes I really like that site too.
Unfortunately I don't have any experience using html/css etc.
I'm sure if you do have an understanding of these matters, then producing a site like that is relatively straight-forward. But as an utter novice in that regard I'd be totally lost!
I also love the Autoviewer - it does make you want to see more pics and like you say it's easy to use/update.
Anyhow a very kind soul has responded to me on another forum I posted this question on and he's a computer science student and wants some experience building websites. So he's offered to have a crack at it for me.
The wonders of the internet eh?

If he manages it, I'll post it up here when done.
Cheers...

Or you can just buy a template :p

Mine is flash and each gallery can handle around 150 pics...which is plenty ! And I have unlimited Galleries.

Back