Built in flash with Nissin Di866 question.

Name
Joe
Edit My Images
Yes
Hey all
Due to getting a bit dis heartened with portraits I haven't played with my flashes etc for a bit but I've decided Im going to give it another go and not wimp out so easily this time.I've got a couple of lencarta lights and a background set up in the garage but tonight I was just going to have a play in the dining room with 1 umbrella and a a nissin di866 flashgun.My problem is that I need to use the built in flash on my D90 to remotely fire the nissin but is there anyway to stop the built in flash firing ? I've tried everything but no joy.
Thanks in advance
Joe

If you are asking can you fire your Nissin with your pop-up flash without the pop-up having any effect on the exposure then yes you can by entering -- in the commander mode menu, in the built in flash mode box.

Yes, though what may be confusing the OP is the pop-up will still fire - that's how it transmits the command signals - but that happens before the shutter opens.

It will also fire during the exposure, even when theoretically disabled, but only on very low power. This will not affect the exposure (unless you're very close) but you might see it reflected in shiny objects, possibly the subject's eyes.

If you are asking can you fire your Nissin with your pop-up flash without the pop-up having any effect on the exposure then yes you can by entering -- in the commander mode menu, in the built in flash mode box.

Aaah ok thats great thanks.So the built in flash will still fire but have no effect on anything ? I did enter -- in the mode menu and I thought that was meant to stop it altogether so when it still fired I got confused.

Yes, though what may be confusing the OP is the pop-up will still fire - that's how it transmits the command signals - but that happens before the shutter opens.

It will also fire during the exposure, even when theoretically disabled, but only on very low power. This will not affect the exposure (unless you're very close) but you might see it reflected in shiny objects, possibly the subject's eyes.

Thanks a lot hoppy you just answered my post above perfectly.
(y)

Back