Bulk scanning - who can do it?

Name
Geoff
Edit My Images
Yes
I have about 600 odd (developed) rolls of slide that I'd like scanned for easy of cataloging and to use on my website...

Anyone recommend a good company who could do this for me?

I have about 600 odd (developed) rolls of slide that I'd like scanned for easy of cataloging and to use on my website...

Anyone recommend a good company who could do this for me?

Depends if you have plenty of money....a possible solution is to buy a S\H scanner and after DIY scanning sell it and get you money back.

Photo Express did a roll of cut negatives and a roll of transparency strips for me for the base price and the result was excellent. If you've got mounted slides the price might go up. At one point I was looking at places like "Treasured Memories" that do this sort of stuff; for quantity the price per unit goes down, but the total bill goes up and up. I bit the bullet and got my own scanner (then sent it back and got a proper one!). Saved a bucket and enjoyed the process, too (which not everyone does, for that sort of quantity). The thing for me was, I'd forgotten a lot of stuff, and going through the slide boxes and neg envelopes sorting them out for scanning and then seeing them come alive, really brought things back to me. I still remember the feeling when I saw my Australian friend, met over there, standing braced against the wind on the Quantocks, hair streaming, must have been in the early 70s. I'd completely forgotten that he'd come down to visit my parents at a time I was home from Oz too. I think you miss some of that sort of feeling if they're done elsewhere and you only get to see the results, in the same random order as sent.

(ETA: worth asking if Photo Express will give you the 50p per film discount off scanning that they do off process and scan...)

Last edited:
there are a few products and diy projects for doing that with a dslr or mirrorless,

thanks all - over the years I have bought scanners and started the project myself, but I'm flat out with other projects, and travel a lot so for me to do it is unpractical.
I'll check out a few of the options and hopefully post some of the photos here at a later stage!

Are they rolls of slide film or mounted? And what sort of age?

I've just had a look around a few people who offer scanning. 600 films seems to imple somewhere between 14,000 and 21,000 slides depending on whether the films were 24 or 36 exposure. I'm sure that there are people who can undercut this, but the cheapest rate I found was 25p per slide, which puts the cost at £3,500 upwards. Hopefully, given that the ones I've looked at seemed to think 500 slides was the point to make the next rate drop, you may find a reduction for this somewhat larger number. If not, and you do only want index images, it might be cheaper to buy the equipment and hire a temp to do it!

Back