Business help with tennant problem?

But how can you repair something (and have a specific value for this repair) if you can't say what was damaged in the first place? I'm not meaning quoting every corrupted file but surely a fairly accurate report could be given covering various areas of data type?

Wouldn't the backup procedure would have kept a log of some sort?

Also, isn't it a little odd that they would be backing up just before they start work, surely it would be done overnight instead? (unless it just takes a long time?)

yeah itll have a log but comparing that to whats on the server to find out whats missing is going to take a while :D

doesnt really matter when the backup is done.

The backup software I use produces a file in under a minute telling me the differences before I run the actual backup, wouldn't this be possible for them?

The backup software I use produces a file in under a minute telling me the differences before I run the actual backup, wouldn't this be possible for them?

depends on the software.. the one we use only shows you whats on the backup for example. at home i use allway sync, that doesnt give you anything.

Syncback, it's free as well! lol Gives a full report showing every file that's not identical on both drives.

I can't help but come back to the fact that how can you fix something when you don't know what's broke? But if you do know what's broke (hence being able to quote a repair cost) then why can't this knowledge of what's broken be presented to the landlord?

Equally valid surely even if nothing is broke but it took staff time to establish the fact and run all of the necessary checks and precautions.

Absolutely. Address a document to them stating that you agree to pay in the amount of £XXX for Blah Blah....but begin the letter Without Predjudice....

No don't begin the letter that way. All that means is you can't show it to a judge if it ever came to court. Why do you want to make an agreement to settle confidential to a court if you ever need it?

The £300 is not a great deal, my time is charged at £750 / dayto external customers. If they don't have on site support £300 could easly be made up of traveling time, say an hour each way and a min of 1 hour on site for the server engineer.

Down time on some of our servers are measured in £xx,xxx per hour so it all depends on what the servers are being used for.

And yes they should have suitable protection against power outages.

What a load of crap, your not responsible for there inability to protect there equipment, if the power board knocked off the power would they try to sue them of course not.

Tel,them it's not your responsibility. 20 years in IT and I have never had a data loss or hardware failure due to power failure.

If they are dumb enough to have no backups, and or power protection, that's there look out, power fails, it's a fact. Your mad if you pay them.

Studi0488 said:
What a load of crap, your not responsible for there inability to protect there equipment, if the power board knocked off the power would they try to sue them of course not.

Tel,them it's not your responsibility. 20 years in IT and I have never had a data loss or hardware failure due to power failure.

If they are dumb enough to have no backups, and or power protection, that's there look out, power fails, it's a fact. Your mad if you pay them.

You must be blessed.

definitely a grey area this one.

it may well be the tenant is 'trying it on'. but if you fight and it goes to court it may well be more expensive in the long run. You are right in that a business should have a back up solution, but that does not (imho) mitigate you from your responsibilities as a landlord to inform them of power cuts you instigated.

I think a fair offer would be to split the (alleged) costs, and chalk it up to experience.

The other thing that we've not really addressed is do you want to fall out with the tenant if they are a good long standing, paying on time one..

Tension between landlord and tenant can run into problems later down the line.

How did they know the power outage was you, how can they prove the loss or damage was due to a power outage ? They have zero chance to prove that the alleged loss happened due to power going off, almost impossible to prove.

No excuse for business critical systems not to be ups,ed and backed up properly.

Studi0488 said:
How did they know the power outage was you, how can they prove the loss or damage was due to a power outage ? They have zero chance to prove that the alleged loss happened due to power going off, almost impossible to prove.

No excuse for business critical systems not to be ups,ed and backed up properly.

Not everything can be covered, see what I said earlier about finite ups life and IBM not accepting shutdown commands from a ups for example. And I doubt many "Bob and Sons" have any concept of UPS, redundant systems and disaster recovery..

Moving away from the IT side, what if they had a freezer on site which subsequently defrosted causing water to meet a nearby power lead starting a fire and burning the unit down...

Too many what ifs to just kill any power on purpose. I wonder if building insurance would cover a wilful switch off of power leading to damage?

Back