Yes
    Bebop, Phil V and davholla like this.
  2. Norris-wf

Norris-wf

Name:
    Sean
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Wow. That's incredible, and to see he got business on the back of it is terrible

3. Mr Pid

Mr Pid

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Typical "instafamous" talent vacuum.....

Graham W likes this.
  4. StewartR

StewartR Efrem Zimbalist Jr Advertiser

Name:
    Stewart with a 'w'
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Wow.

The full sordid saga has been documented by the Singapore website mothership.sg, here:
    https://mothership.sg/?s=daryl+yow

I particularly like the bits where people are critiquing his Photoshop skills.

5. EightBitTony

EightBitTony

Name:
    Tony
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Yes, I can't imagine anyone ever lied about their portfolio before Instagram.

6. EightBitTony

EightBitTony

Name:
    Tony
    Edit My Images:
    No
    I wonder if he's any good as a photographer, and found he didn't have enough content, panicked at the prospect of losing his sponsors and just started posting stuff? People do all kinds of things when the stress starts to mount.

davholla likes this.
  7. Cagey75

Cagey75

Name:
    Keith
    Edit My Images:
    No
    "Instagram star" is the saddest part of the story for me. As if 'photographer' means nothing now, more the platform you chose to share on.

davholla, Graham W and Mr Pid like this.
  8. RaglanSurf

RaglanSurf Official Forum Idiot 2013 & 2014

Name:
    Nick
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Interesting if you compare his response to being caught

"I was wrong to have claimed that stock images and other people's work were my own.

"I was also wrong to have used false captions that misled my followers and those who viewed my images.

"Having marketed myself as a photographer, I fell far short of what was expected of me and disappointed those who believed - or wanted to believe - in me."

BBC page

to that of Richard Prince, well known for appropriating established works by other artists.

“Copyright has never interested me. For most of my life I owned half a stereo, so there was no point in suing me, but that’s changed now and it’s interesting … So, sometimes it’s better not to be successful and well-known and you can get away with much more. I knew what I was stealing 30 years ago but it didn’t matter because no one cared, no one was paying any attention.”

Full report here

Mr Pid likes this.
  9. LongLensPhotography

LongLensPhotography

Name:
    Truth Teller
    Edit My Images:
    No
    I hope someone is filling a lawsuit against mr photographer.

The sooner instagram falls under the better. Its a platform of the fake for the fake.

You need bots, and all sorts of unimaginable things to get noticed, and there is the dreaded algorithm, and awful mobile only interface. What more could I say?

Lensflare, davholla and Mr Pid like this.
  10. Nostromo

Nostromo

Name:
    Dominic
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I agree with all you say (although I do use Instagram). But it's not only just for mobiles or tablets. There is a instagram.com, where you can log in to your account and upload photos and comments (admittedly it's not completely straightforward, but it can be done without too much hassle).

11. EightBitTony

EightBitTony

Name:
    Tony
    Edit My Images:
    No
    I didn't think you could post at all from the website? There are third party unsupported options, but not from Instagram's website?

I don't think that's true. There's a perfectly healthy community of folk on Instagram. For example, I follow a bunch of people from around where I live and get to see lots of different takes on the kinds of stuff I shoot. We often find we've been to the same events. As with all social media, it's about how you use it and what you get from it, I don't worry about how other people use it and what they get.

Donnie likes this.
  12. Nostromo

Nostromo

Name:
    Dominic
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Here's a link on how to use Instagram on a pc (i think it's the same with a mac).
    Like I said in my post, it's not completely straightforward, but also not too long winded.

View: https://youtu.be/dcA4qK82Tl4

Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
  13. Donnie

Donnie

Name:
    Paul
    Edit My Images:
    No
    thats quite knacky! Never knew about that. I use a third party one thats a pain.

Nostromo likes this.
  14. EightBitTony

EightBitTony

Name:
    Tony
    Edit My Images:
    No
    I use the Lightroom plugin (until it inevitably gets killed by Instagram) but I'll have a look at that video later. Thanks for that.

15. LongLensPhotography

LongLensPhotography

Name:
    Truth Teller
    Edit My Images:
    No
    As long as it works it would be the most convenient option. I just remember one of the talks at the photography show where the speaker very strongly advocated against any third party solution. It supposedly exposes your login data to developer and / or hackers and some big names we were told had their accounts compromised in this way. If that could be the case the workaround in the video actually may be the the best compromise?

16. EightBitTony

EightBitTony

Name:
    Tony
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Well the Lightroom plugin requires you to login on the plugin screen, no different to the Flickr plugin, I suspect that doesn't go anywhere near the developer of the plugin, although it's always possible they scrape it or see it. I wouldn't use a third party website or third party app which wasn't running directly on my PC and which logged in on my behalf, but I feel pretty comfortable using the Lightroom plugin.

17. Mr Pid

Mr Pid

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    The biggest problem I have with Instagram is remembering to post and keeping photos in order and keeping track of what has been uploaded.

I try and vary the photos between different subject matter eg, aviation/wildlife/airbrushing/tattooing but I always end up loading blocks of the same thing depending on what im working on. There is no easy way to jumble photo's up on lightroom, or when in folders on a mac either from what I can see.

Never used the plug in, and would be concerned about login details being shared. From what I understand these big "hacking" events that occur are usually through the back door of some third party plug in.

18. davholla

davholla

Name:
    David
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    What can Instagram do which flickr can't do? Obviously Flickr has features (albums etc) which Instagram does not have. But does Instagram have any advantages apart from being more popular?

19. LongLensPhotography

LongLensPhotography

Name:
    Truth Teller
    Edit My Images:
    No
    That's my view entirely. I have no idea but I guess FB ownership and peer influence helped IG market share. Feature-wise flickr wins hands down in my view.

davholla likes this.
  20. Mr Pid

Mr Pid

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Instagram is for the cool kids...

Flickr is the people who prefer quality over cool...

davholla likes this.
  21. EightBitTony

EightBitTony

Name:
    Tony
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Okay - that is officially genius. Thank you. For 90% of my workflow, Lightroom plugins will work, but for the few times it's a jpg I've got lying around outside of Lightroom, that is so useful.

Nostromo likes this.
  22. EightBitTony

EightBitTony

Name:
    Tony
    Edit My Images:
    No
    I guess the Magnum photographs I see on Instagram must be terrible then?

Flickr's a photograph platform with badly implemented social media features. Instagram is a social media platform which focuses on images (and now video). They're both fit for purpose, if they fit the purpose you need. I use them both, for different things.

23. Mr Pid

Mr Pid

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Apologies, I shall try not to use metaphors in future.

In short, Flickr is a dead platform - take a look at the analytics and demographical engagement.

24. Nostromo

Nostromo

Name:
    Dominic
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Glad to be of assistance :)

25. LongLensPhotography

LongLensPhotography

Name:
    Truth Teller
    Edit My Images:
    No
    I think he meant the quality of image display, including sizes and desktop friendliness, and not about the quality of the images themselves. There are plenty of good and bad apples on each one.

Thanks Marisa for wrecking flickr's future. We pro photographers have reciprocal feelings towards you too.

IG is still missing a critical feature for me - external links that work on each and every photo. When I post something I want prospective buyers to be able to directly click through to that image on my own platform. The IG cleverly forces you to stay on their platform, just scrolling through and never exiting. I can't see how that's good for us. The big brands may only need to get their product image or their logo in front of people and IG does that well enough. But its not enough for me - in fact it does nothing if they don't follow to my site. You will tell me people can find link in profile. Err that's just one generic link and I doubt people can be even bothered to go looking.

madders and davholla like this.
  26. Raymond Lin

Raymond Lin

Name:
    Raymond
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Disgusting, lazy and amazing it took so long !

Surely these days a quick google image search would ousted him easily.

27. EightBitTony

EightBitTony

Name:
    Tony
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Or CopyTrack / Pixsy. I guess the volume of images being posted every day is the barrier.

28. mark4183

mark4183

Name:
    Mark
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
  29. davholla

davholla

Name:
    David
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I do hope you are wrong, but I fear you maybe right.

Mr Pid likes this.
  30. madders

madders

Name:
    Steve
    Edit My Images:
    No
    I believe they are currently trialling clicking on posts to go to a brand's website to purchase the item. I think a few big brands are testing it, but guess it will water down to everyone. I'm guessing IG will want a percentage though.

31. Musicman

Musicman

Name:
    Rob Telford
    Edit My Images:
    No
    That’s my major problem with Instagram right there - I have never trusted Facebook with any of my data

32. LongLensPhotography

LongLensPhotography

Name:
    Truth Teller
    Edit My Images:
    No
    In which case perhaps it is wiser to just start uploading new images to google Adwords instead. More reach and more profit for sure.

33. TCR4x4

TCR4x4 Wishes he had a couple more Inches

Name:
    Tom
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I remember when Instagram used to be purely phone photos and people actually posted their own work for others to admire rather than to make money.
    I was actually quite popular with 7000 “followers”.... the. It all went downhill and became a popularity contest.

davholla likes this.
  34. madders

madders

Name:
    Steve
    Edit My Images:
    No
    It's certainly worth trying. Hope you find it a success.

35. madders

madders

Name:
    Steve
    Edit My Images:
    No
    I've become disenchanted with Instagram too. I hate the new algorithm. I just want to see the most recent photos from the people I follow in time order and I want my followers to be able to do the same.

36. StewartR

StewartR Efrem Zimbalist Jr Advertiser

Name:
    Stewart with a 'w'
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    You should ask for your money back. Oh, wait....

Graham W likes this.
  37. madders

madders

Name:
    Steve
    Edit My Images:
    No
    I get that it's free and I realise they need to monetise it (so I don't moan about the sponsored posts), but I don't see why I shouldn't have an opinion on the change to the algorithm, free app or not.

imattersuk, davholla and EightBitTony like this.
  38. Lensflare

Lensflare

Name:
    Simon Everett
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Before you load them up to instafame, create a folder called something like 'instafame loadups' and the odd picture from a shoot you want to compromise/waste/lose/have stolen (delete as appropriate) put in there at low res. Then when you have the 5 or 6 needed...just go to the one folder to upload.

I have hardly used instagram because I can't work it out. A friend made me an account, but on my hone I don't know what button I need to get my page and all I see is loads of b*****ks from other people I have no idea how to change what comes up. So I never use it. That video thing I will look at because it might be worth me doing, but somehow I doubt it. I don't want other photographers looking at my stuff, I want my clients to look at them only - and maintaining the integrity between client and photographer is something that is missing seemingly. My client commissions me to produce work for THEM and them alone, it isn't right if I put stuff out there from the shoot before they have used it. That might mean a wait of several months before I can upload from that particular shoot. It is just plain bad manners to release material that has been commissioned. Or am I just 'old fashioned' for being honest. As exposed in this story, and many other instances of 'people helping themselves', it would appear honesty, integrity and honour are no longer valued or adhered to.

Mr Pid likes this.