Busted

Wow. That's incredible, and to see he got business on the back of it is terrible

Wow.

The full sordid saga has been documented by the Singapore website mothership.sg, here:
https://mothership.sg/?s=daryl+yow

I particularly like the bits where people are critiquing his Photoshop skills.

Interesting if you compare his response to being caught

"I was wrong to have claimed that stock images and other people's work were my own.

"I was also wrong to have used false captions that misled my followers and those who viewed my images.

"Having marketed myself as a photographer, I fell far short of what was expected of me and disappointed those who believed - or wanted to believe - in me."

BBC page

to that of Richard Prince, well known for appropriating established works by other artists.

“Copyright has never interested me. For most of my life I owned half a stereo, so there was no point in suing me, but that’s changed now and it’s interesting … So, sometimes it’s better not to be successful and well-known and you can get away with much more. I knew what I was stealing 30 years ago but it didn’t matter because no one cared, no one was paying any attention.”

Full report here

I hope someone is filling a lawsuit against mr photographer.

The sooner instagram falls under the better. Its a platform of the fake for the fake.

You need bots, and all sorts of unimaginable things to get noticed, and there is the dreaded algorithm, and awful mobile only interface. What more could I say?

The sooner instagram falls under the better. Its a platform of the fake for the fake.

You need bots, and all sorts of unimaginable things to get noticed, and there is the dreaded algorithm, and awful mobile only interface. What more could I say?
I agree with all you say (although I do use Instagram). But it's not only just for mobiles or tablets. There is a instagram.com, where you can log in to your account and upload photos and comments (admittedly it's not completely straightforward, but it can be done without too much hassle).

I agree with all you say (although I do use Instagram). But it's not only just for mobiles or tablets. There is a instagram.com, where you can log in to your account and upload photos and comments (admittedly it's not completely straightforward, but it can be done without too much hassle).

I didn't think you could post at all from the website? There are third party unsupported options, but not from Instagram's website?

I don't think that's true. There's a perfectly healthy community of folk on Instagram. For example, I follow a bunch of people from around where I live and get to see lots of different takes on the kinds of stuff I shoot. We often find we've been to the same events. As with all social media, it's about how you use it and what you get from it, I don't worry about how other people use it and what they get.

I didn't think you could post at all from the website? There are third party unsupported options, but not from Instagram's website?
Here's a link on how to use Instagram on a pc (i think it's the same with a mac).
Like I said in my post, it's not completely straightforward, but also not too long winded.

View: https://youtu.be/dcA4qK82Tl4

Last edited:
I use the Lightroom plugin (until it inevitably gets killed by Instagram) but I'll have a look at that video later. Thanks for that.

As long as it works it would be the most convenient option. I just remember one of the talks at the photography show where the speaker very strongly advocated against any third party solution. It supposedly exposes your login data to developer and / or hackers and some big names we were told had their accounts compromised in this way. If that could be the case the workaround in the video actually may be the the best compromise?

As long as it works it would be the most convenient option. I just remember one of the talks at the photography show where the speaker very strongly advocated against any third party solution. It supposedly exposes your login data to developer and / or hackers and some big names we were told had their accounts compromised in this way. If that could be the case the workaround in the video actually may be the the best compromise?

Well the Lightroom plugin requires you to login on the plugin screen, no different to the Flickr plugin, I suspect that doesn't go anywhere near the developer of the plugin, although it's always possible they scrape it or see it. I wouldn't use a third party website or third party app which wasn't running directly on my PC and which logged in on my behalf, but I feel pretty comfortable using the Lightroom plugin.

The biggest problem I have with Instagram is remembering to post and keeping photos in order and keeping track of what has been uploaded.

I try and vary the photos between different subject matter eg, aviation/wildlife/airbrushing/tattooing but I always end up loading blocks of the same thing depending on what im working on. There is no easy way to jumble photo's up on lightroom, or when in folders on a mac either from what I can see.

Never used the plug in, and would be concerned about login details being shared. From what I understand these big "hacking" events that occur are usually through the back door of some third party plug in.

What can Instagram do which flickr can't do? Obviously Flickr has features (albums etc) which Instagram does not have. But does Instagram have any advantages apart from being more popular?

What can Instagram do which flickr can't do? Obviously Flickr has features (albums etc) which Instagram does not have. But does Instagram have any advantages apart from being more popular?

That's my view entirely. I have no idea but I guess FB ownership and peer influence helped IG market share. Feature-wise flickr wins hands down in my view.

Here's a link on how to use Instagram on a pc (i think it's the same with a mac).
Like I said in my post, it's not completely straightforward, but also not too long winded.

View: https://youtu.be/dcA4qK82Tl4

Okay - that is officially genius. Thank you. For 90% of my workflow, Lightroom plugins will work, but for the few times it's a jpg I've got lying around outside of Lightroom, that is so useful.

Instagram is for the cool kids...

Flickr is the people who prefer quality over cool...

I guess the Magnum photographs I see on Instagram must be terrible then?

Flickr's a photograph platform with badly implemented social media features. Instagram is a social media platform which focuses on images (and now video). They're both fit for purpose, if they fit the purpose you need. I use them both, for different things.

Apologies, I shall try not to use metaphors in future.

In short, Flickr is a dead platform - take a look at the analytics and demographical engagement.

Okay - that is officially genius. Thank you. For 90% of my workflow, Lightroom plugins will work, but for the few times it's a jpg I've got lying around outside of Lightroom, that is so useful.
Glad to be of assistance :)

Flickr's a photograph platform with badly implemented social media features. Instagram is a social media platform which focuses on images (and now video). They're both fit for purpose, if they fit the purpose you need. I use them both, for different things.

I think he meant the quality of image display, including sizes and desktop friendliness, and not about the quality of the images themselves. There are plenty of good and bad apples on each one.

Thanks Marisa for wrecking flickr's future. We pro photographers have reciprocal feelings towards you too.

IG is still missing a critical feature for me - external links that work on each and every photo. When I post something I want prospective buyers to be able to directly click through to that image on my own platform. The IG cleverly forces you to stay on their platform, just scrolling through and never exiting. I can't see how that's good for us. The big brands may only need to get their product image or their logo in front of people and IG does that well enough. But its not enough for me - in fact it does nothing if they don't follow to my site. You will tell me people can find link in profile. Err that's just one generic link and I doubt people can be even bothered to go looking.

Disgusting, lazy and amazing it took so long !

Surely these days a quick google image search would ousted him easily.

Apologies, I shall try not to use metaphors in future.

In short, Flickr is a dead platform - take a look at the analytics and demographical engagement.
I do hope you are wrong, but I fear you maybe right.

I think he meant the quality of image display, including sizes and desktop friendliness, and not about the quality of the images themselves. There are plenty of good and bad apples on each one.

Thanks Marisa for wrecking flickr's future. We pro photographers have reciprocal feelings towards you too.

IG is still missing a critical feature for me - external links that work on each and every photo. When I post something I want prospective buyers to be able to directly click through to that image on my own platform. The IG cleverly forces you to stay on their platform, just scrolling through and never exiting. I can't see how that's good for us. The big brands may only need to get their product image or their logo in front of people and IG does that well enough. But its not enough for me - in fact it does nothing if they don't follow to my site. You will tell me people can find link in profile. Err that's just one generic link and I doubt people can be even bothered to go looking.
I believe they are currently trialling clicking on posts to go to a brand's website to purchase the item. I think a few big brands are testing it, but guess it will water down to everyone. I'm guessing IG will want a percentage though.

I believe they are currently trialling clicking on posts to go to a brand's website to purchase the item. I think a few big brands are testing it, but guess it will water down to everyone. I'm guessing IG will want a percentage though.

In which case perhaps it is wiser to just start uploading new images to google Adwords instead. More reach and more profit for sure.

I remember when Instagram used to be purely phone photos and people actually posted their own work for others to admire rather than to make money.
I was actually quite popular with 7000 “followers”.... the. It all went downhill and became a popularity contest.

I remember when Instagram used to be purely phone photos and people actually posted their own work for others to admire rather than to make money.
I was actually quite popular with 7000 “followers”.... the. It all went downhill and became a popularity contest.

I've become disenchanted with Instagram too. I hate the new algorithm. I just want to see the most recent photos from the people I follow in time order and I want my followers to be able to do the same.

I've become disenchanted with Instagram too. I hate the new algorithm. I just want to see the most recent photos from the people I follow in time order and I want my followers to be able to do the same.
You should ask for your money back. Oh, wait....

The biggest problem I have with Instagram is remembering to post and keeping photos in order and keeping track of what has been uploaded.

I try and vary the photos between different subject matter eg, aviation/wildlife/airbrushing/tattooing but I always end up loading blocks of the same thing depending on what im working on. There is no easy way to jumble photo's up on lightroom, or when in folders on a mac either from what I can see.

Never used the plug in, and would be concerned about login details being shared. From what I understand these big "hacking" events that occur are usually through the back door of some third party plug in.

Before you load them up to instafame, create a folder called something like 'instafame loadups' and the odd picture from a shoot you want to compromise/waste/lose/have stolen (delete as appropriate) put in there at low res. Then when you have the 5 or 6 needed...just go to the one folder to upload.

I have hardly used instagram because I can't work it out. A friend made me an account, but on my hone I don't know what button I need to get my page and all I see is loads of b*****ks from other people I have no idea how to change what comes up. So I never use it. That video thing I will look at because it might be worth me doing, but somehow I doubt it. I don't want other photographers looking at my stuff, I want my clients to look at them only - and maintaining the integrity between client and photographer is something that is missing seemingly. My client commissions me to produce work for THEM and them alone, it isn't right if I put stuff out there from the shoot before they have used it. That might mean a wait of several months before I can upload from that particular shoot. It is just plain bad manners to release material that has been commissioned. Or am I just 'old fashioned' for being honest. As exposed in this story, and many other instances of 'people helping themselves', it would appear honesty, integrity and honour are no longer valued or adhered to.

Back