buttercup

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
On the allotment.
taken in manual with a sunagor 80-200 macro - laughably labelled super compact. Its huge and heavy compared to the 40-150 kit lens.

both have been resized and sharpened to fit the 800 pixel rule.

this is a buttercup growing in a shaded area but the flower just caught a beam of sunlight. The bees are still too fast for me. need to get up v early I suppose.

2567640268_b0d67ec3bb.jpg

2566817151_0ec8496a86.jpg

Last edited:
You've caught the colours of the flower beautifully but the shot looks a bit odd with the stem so dark that it's barely visible :shrug: Compositionally it would look a bit better if the flower wasn't quite so central to the frame IMO :)

EDIT: I think DD is right, that's two of the same shot isn't it?

Honest crit this time

I think they look a little LL'ed, and the angle is abit distracting.

Tony (y)

Last edited:
Thanks!

I had to check :) they are (slightly) different - honest.

I take your point about the stem, but it was fully in shadow. This really was a single bright point in a patch of dark vegetation. Perhaps an excuse to look into all this PP stuff and see about lightening the stem a little.

Could I ask how you would recommend I set the composition? I very much liked the daisy that visualisetheworld posted, with the daisy off to the side. But I thought that he has a nicer background. With this pic the background is so dark that I thought it would be better as a central frame. Do you think I could lighten the background in PP and reframe? Or would you reframe as is?

Until I bought this camera all I've used is a P&S for holiday snaps. I've found this forum very very useful and inspiring.

Personally I would set the flower about 2cm to the left of where it is at the moment. I take your point about the dark background but usually this kind of shot works best if you follow the "rule of thirds" :) You could quite easily recompose the shot in PP, although personally I wouldn't lighten the background, I like it as it is. I would, however, try and bring out a bit more of the stem. HTH :)

Honest crit this time

I think they look a little LL'ed, and the angle is abit distracting.

Tony (y)

LL'ed ? sorry dont know what that means? They've just been resized and then sharpened in Krita because the resize blurred them. The angle is just as it was, I havent tilted it at all. Would you prefer it straighter?

I always prefer full crit. I'm a beginner, I'll never improve if I don't get feedback (and the engineers all know that negative feedback is a damn sight more useful than positive feedback :) ).
I'll post my honest opinions on other peoples stuff, and I hope it is taken as being constructive.

Grendel, thanks, I'll have a play.

LL = LowLighted

I'll have a go in photoshop when i get home from my driving lesson yeah?

cheers, my post processing knowledge doesnt extend past the sharpen and resize tools.

Ah i see, I would have a go for you but i am busy now. Shout me today (tonight) if you want it done (y)

Tough flowers to photograph as yellow is one of those colours that struggles not to blow out. They are a little centered and as it is just a single bloom moving it onto thirds would help the interest a bit. ;)

Back