Buying a medium format camera

A minute and a half left in the fixer and I will have processed my first medium format film for about 15 years. Haven't got a changing bag yet, so I loaded the film into the tank under the duvet (gets bleddy hot under there).

Quite excited now, just got to give it a wash!

Well, it's come out alright, quite nice negatives for film that was OOD in 2002.

I overexposed by 1/3 stop (ISO 100 instead of ISO 125) and developed in ID11 1+3 for 20 minutes at 20 degrees C. Stop bath was a little white vinegar in some tap water fixed for 5 minutes in Ilford Rapid Fixer and then after washing, one drop of fairy liquid in a litre of water to help the water drain of the negs nicely. now hanging up to dry on the shower curtain rail!

Forgot how exciting it is when you take the top off the developing tank to see if you've arsed it up or not. You don't get that with digital!

Lost, people actaully watch that show?!?!?!?!?!

Dammmm, people need a live and shoot more photos

I started off metering off my DSLR then moving the settings over, pain having take two cameras with you, works quite well though. Save for a nice little light meter ;) Thats the way.

Bet you wish you never had thought about MF photography now :LOL::LOL:

This thread is probably going to make me single. I think I might put the word out that I want a medium format for mah birthday in July. Give the family time to save nad get me a nice un.

Failing that, I'll have to buy one myself. Then the single will come into play I think...

Ladies and Gentlemen!
I'd like to reveal to you the first 2 negatives from my first ever medium format film.

3345508970_af6d9d3d20_o.jpg

3345507874_18ec42be1e_o.jpg

I know what you're thinking:

"I can't believe I wasted my time on this numpty!" ;)

Sorry about the gridlines, I don't think my Dad's laptop worked very well as a lightbox for doing copy slides :p

Edit: Woops forgot to link the pictures :D My bad! Hold your horses!

This thread is probably going to make me single. I think I might put the word out that I want a medium format for mah birthday in July. Give the family time to save nad get me a nice un.

Failing that, I'll have to buy one myself. Then the single will come into play I think...

If there's one thing I've learned from this experience it's this - screw the bloody camera, get a scanner before you do anything!

So, plan for tomorrow!

1. Make a neg holder thingy that doesn't have godawful borders around it (despite the fact they're gritty and real moody like)
2. Get some masking tape to attach the negs to the neg holder thingy
3. Balance the neg holder thingy carefully and line up my camera
4. Get a piece of paper and my flashgun to light the neg from behind
5. Upload the photos onto here so all you guys will be jealous of my powerful talent :)

It's OK - they suck sometimes. :D

So do mine!

One from the roll, jpg scanned at only 600dpi

crocus1-1.jpg

Tyring one now as a Tiff scanned at 6400 dpi (probably take all night though!

Trying one now as a Tiff scanned at 6400 dpi (probably take all night though!

Was quicker than I thought, 384 MB file though. Well pleased with this one, it shows MF has amazing potential even when scanning the negs.

crocus-1.jpg

This is the pond outside my office, the scan of this neg was a 457MB TIFF

Pond.jpg

foodpoison / EdBray,

Great shots :clap: ... thank you for taking the time and effort to show us the steps throughout your whole process. It's been a great learning experience, and something I will read & re-read before I take the jump myself.

It all makes a lot more sense to me now, thanks to you and all those who've posted here.

Great flowers & watercooler (y)

Sorry about the gridlines, I don't think my Dad's laptop worked very well as a lightbox for doing copy slides

I like the grid lines in the context of your pics... however a sheet of greaseproof paper/tracing film/similar translucent material over the laptop screen would have eliminated them altogether.

So far you have succeeded in making me consider an MF film camera rather more seriously than I would have done before... evil person you!

B.

I like the grid lines in the context of your pics... however a sheet of greaseproof paper/tracing film/similar translucent material over the laptop screen would have eliminated them altogether.

So far you have succeeded in making me consider an MF film camera rather more seriously than I would have done before... evil person you!

B.

Of course!

Mr Ben Mottram, you have just made my day by giving me that obvious yet subtle tip :)
Brilliant :)

Dad's gone on a business trip to frankfurt though :bang:

Ladies and Gentlemen!
I'd like to reveal to you the first 2 negatives from my first ever medium format film.

3345508970_af6d9d3d20_o.jpg

3345507874_18ec42be1e_o.jpg

I know what you're thinking:

"I can't believe I wasted my time on this numpty!" ;)

Sorry about the gridlines, I don't think my Dad's laptop worked very well as a lightbox for doing copy slides :p

Edit: Woops forgot to link the pictures :D My bad! Hold your horses!

you say that, but for some strange reason (shoot me if you must) I quite like the chair and watercooler one, from an arty-farty perspective. well done!(y)

you did better than my first go at mf I couldn't get the exposure on the cruddy lightmeter i was using right :-(

Ladies and Gentlemen!

:LOL:

Smells like the 70's, but the water cooler blows its cover.
That texture, from the laptop dots, reminds me of a fad of 70's prints.
The 6x4's you got back from Boots or whatever, had that dotty texture for a while :shrug:
I think these two frames, probably mirror you're Jeans..:LOL:.

9toboi.jpg

you say that, but for some strange reason (shoot me if you must) I quite like the chair and watercooler one, from an arty-farty perspective. well done!(y)

you did better than my first go at mf I couldn't get the exposure on the cruddy lightmeter i was using right :-(

Theme of abandoned icons in England (that chair one doesn't fit 'England' too well, but I think the goal post one did).

I quite like that one too :)

:LOL:

Smells like the 70's, but the water cooler blows its cover.
That texture, from the laptop dots, reminds me of a fad of 70's prints.
The 6x4's you got back from Boots or whatever, had that dotty texture for a while :shrug:
I think these two frames, probably mirror you're Jeans..:LOL:.

9toboi.jpg

Mirror my jeans?!

I'm worried as to what you mean by that!

I guessing you're not an old codger.......*stereotype ON*....so you'll have great big frayed holes in yer jeans........probably...:LOL:

seriously ***.....scissors are maaaaaarvelous..

:)

Haha, nope :)
My line is "Did you pay extra to have them rip holes in your jeans? Or did you get them at a discounted price because they were broken when you bought them?"

I'm into sweatpants and skinny jeans :)
Sweatpants from Abercrombie and Fitch and skinny jeans from topman.
*stereotype ON*
Joxby will say: *waves fist* "Kids these days! No sense of style!" :D

What do you mean kids 'these days'?
Anyone remember wearing your trousers backwards? Trouser-skirts, those nasty t-shirts that changed colour when they got warm, Puffer jackets?
The list goes on. And those are the fads I remember from the 90's (Oh yeah, what about ear piercings on guys and peroxide blonde hair).

Kids never had style.

Back