Buying a New Canon (DSLR)

Name
Jade
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, I've recently decided to sell my old Nikon and get a new (second hand) Canon as I can share lenses with my partner.
I was wondering which Canon DSLRs you guys would recommend? I need one with a fast shutter speed and good aperture.
My budget is probably around £300-£500.
Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Your old Nikon is a crop body.......

What do you like to photograph?

If full frame is of interest then the Canon 6D second hand would be in your budget.

Older Canon crop bodies like the 80D were/are well regarded.

Plus what lenses does your partner have, because EF-S ones will not fit the FF 6D.

Last edited:
@Box Brownie its EF lenses.
At the moment I do a bit of street photography, portraiture, nature, and animals.
But I really want a camera that can take decent photos in the darker buildings as my current Nikon (D3200) and the lenses I have aren't great for it and I'm photographing a theatre for a uni project.
Thank you for your suggestions! I think 80D is the camera my partner has and I find it so much better than the camera I currently use

Last edited:
I use a Canon 80D and I love it, it's improved quite a lot compared to the previous Canon bodies I've owned,
ISO handling is a lot better which will help you taking photos in dark buildings but a faster lens may help you as well.

The only Canon that fits your budget and requirements for lowlight is a secondhand 6D. The 6D still does well for lowlight even compared to its modern FF counterparts . The Canon crop sensors aren’t better than Nikon probably a little noisier at higher iso.

Last edited:
As you're probably aware, the aperture is determined by the lens, and all will have a fast shutter.

If you're shooting in dark conditions, f/2.8 lenses or faster are often preferred, but its always a compromise between shutter speed, aperture and ISO.

@andrewc yeah I just don't have quality lenses with the camera I have now so I'd rather get a Canon and use the better quality lenses my partner has.
Thanks for your response!

For theatre subjects IMO the 6D would serve you well.

Also, as mentioned faster lenses(f2.8) would be good but bear in mind all things are a compromise. 6D and f2.8 aperture and depending on the focal length & distance to subject the DoF will be narrow... so stopping down will be needed if not 'isolating' your subject. But as for noise the 6D should for sure have the edge over the likes of the 80D or any other crop sensor camera.

Ultimately only you can decide what you can afford that will 'do the job for you'.

Ah ok so it works one way not the other?

Canon designed it that EF-s lenses can’t fit on the EF Mount but you may find that third party lenses like sigma might. It was designed this way to prevent damage to the camera.

Last edited:
Back