1. Ldutch

Ldutch

Name:
    Lesley
    Edit My Images:
    No
    i bought my camera nearly 2 years ago as a body only as it came half price in a closing down sale. It gave me the opportunity to add new lenses as and when. So far I have a nifty fifty plus a 10-18 mm wide angle lens. I took both lenses on a trip to India last year and they were ok for what I wanted to do at the time (I.e close up and middle distance). We are going back again to a different part of India and have the opportunity to take photos of the Himalayas. We have been told that, on a good day, we might just catch sight of Everest. We will be in the tea plantations and Sikkim so I want to make sure I cover all bases when it comes to lenses. I am looking at a telephoto (55 -250 or 70-300 or thereabouts perhaps) and have seen so many that I have confused myself. Do I stick to Canon or will a Sigma or Tamrin do just as good a job? I don’t have a great deal of money to spend (up to about £150) so do I get a cheaper new one or go for a pre-owned one. So far, I have not really gone off auto as I find it very easy to use and get great pictures. Can anyone advise me on best options?

2. wardy07

wardy07

Name:
    chris
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I would recommend the Tamron 70-300 f4-5.6 DI VC USD lens, it’s a great lens and definitely not a compromise over the Canon version.
    You may find one secondhand at your budget, certainly not too much more.
    Just make sure it’s the VC version though as Tamron do have a cheaper version that is not as good.
    This has a great reputation and from personal experience it really is a good lens with a Canon body.

3. Ldutch

Ldutch

Name:
    Lesley
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Thanks for that advice wardy07. I will have a look online and see what's on offer.

wardy07 likes this.
  4. GeeJay57

GeeJay57

Name:
    Glenn
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    The Canon 55-250mm IS STM is well regarded, not expensive and compact. Used my daughter's USM version recently and it was pretty good.

Recently picked up a Canon 70-300 IS USM II Nano for my other half's 80D. I am really quite impressed with this lens which focuses even faster than my EF 100-400mm II. We got it with £85 cash back and a Black Friday £85 discount.

Neither come with a (stupidly expensive from Canon) lens hood.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
  5. Ldutch

Ldutch

Name:
    Lesley
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Thanks for your advice GeeJay. I can see that i will have to keep at it but it is good to get advice from those who have had practical experience rather than from a salesman.

6. newbie1

newbie1

Name:
    Tim
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    @Ldutch Hi Lesley it will be a great shot to have it the weather conditions are favorable (y) Looks like about 100km away from where you will be? I'm about 80km away from the Eiger and on a clear day can see that, looks like this with 200mm lens.
    [​IMG]
    PS3A9928-Edit-2
    by Good Lux Photos, on Flickr

7. Ldutch

Ldutch

Name:
    Lesley
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Have been searching the internet and have found an online company selling a used Canon EF75-300mm f/4-5.6 lll USM for £84 - described as nearly new condition. Is it worth a punt?

8. GeeJay57

GeeJay57

Name:
    Glenn
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
  9. Ldutch

Ldutch

Name:
    Lesley
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Have found the 55-250 +is stm cheaper than amazon with a company called eglobal central and also with another called e - infinity online. Has anyone had experience with either of these companies?

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    Dave70D likes this.
  10. Tom Green

Tom Green

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Get the 55-250 IS STM - you will not get a better telephoto lens for that money on any camera anywhere.

Hugh Jarse, GeeJay57 and Dave70D like this.
  11. Dave70D

Dave70D

Name:
    FujiDaveXX
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    While I had the 70D, two of my best lenses were 70-200mm f4 IS L and the 55-250mm imo both were fantastic lenses. You won`t go wrong with either one. My biggest mistake was getting the Sigma 150-600mm C as after a while I thought, that`s it had enough and changed systems.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    Matt- likes this.
  12. Dave70D

Dave70D

Name:
    FujiDaveXX
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    :agree: 100%

Hugh Jarse and Tom Green like this.
  13. Ldutch

Ldutch

Name:
    Lesley
    Edit My Images:
    No
    The two online companies I have mentioned above are selling the 55-250 IS STM for £111 post free which is £30+ cheaper than amazon who are already cheaper than most other companies. I just wondered if anyone had any experience of either of those 2 or if it could be a case of ‘if it looks too good...........’.
    Nice photos btw, Tom Green.

14. Dave70D

Dave70D

Name:
    FujiDaveXX
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Hi Lesley I can`t say I have heard of the ones you say, but if you have the money I`d get it from Amazon. Yes it might be another 30 odd pounds, but at least you will have some sort of protection buying from Amazon :)

GeeJay57 likes this.
  15. GeeJay57

GeeJay57

Name:
    Glenn
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Personally I think I'd go with Amazon in this case.

Dave70D likes this.
  16. Dave70D

Dave70D

Name:
    FujiDaveXX
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Agree, with Amazon you can`t get conned/ripped off as you will get your money back from Amazon if the seller rips you off.

GeeJay57 likes this.
  17. Tom Green

Tom Green

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Thank you.

Those two companies you mentioned are grey importers - some say they will pay taxes for you, some mean you may have to pay an extra 20% when it arrives in the UK.

If I was you I'd just pay £129 and get it from Amazon, its a bargain at that price anyway.

I sold my last one used for £120 on eBay.

18. Ldutch

Ldutch

Name:
    Lesley
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Thanks for all your advice. I don’t want any nasty surprises from grey imports and there might be a problem with repairs if things go wrong so I will steer clear. I have a few weeks before I need to make a definite decision but it looks like 55-250 IS STM is the best bet. Prices on amazon seem to vary on a daily basis and the cheapest is currently around £145 new. I will keep track for another couple of weeks.

HoppyUK and Dave70D like this.
  19. Tom Green

Tom Green

Edit My Images:
    Yes

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-EF-S...8&qid=1515788993&sr=8-2&keywords=canon+55-250

that one is £129 and fulfilled by Amazon so gives you some protection.

20. Dave70D

Dave70D

Name:
    FujiDaveXX
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    You will not go wrong with that lens, and on the 70D it`s a cracker to use.

21. GeeJay57

GeeJay57

Name:
    Glenn
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
  22. Tom Green

Tom Green

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Ahh yeah, just noticed. My apologies

23. Matt-

Matt-

Name:
    Matt
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Looking on camera price buster, the best price that lens has ever been is £148.35 on Amazon in Apr 2016..

24. Grumps1974

Grumps1974

Name:
    Martin
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Another vote for the Tamron 70-300VC. I had one and it is a lot of bang for the bucks. Well worth considering and near your budget second hand.

25. Hadron

Hadron

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I’ve just picked up a Canon EF 70-300 USM IS to replace a Tamron 70-300 (non vc). I’ve not had much chance to test but from the brief play I had with it yesterday I’m so far very, very impressed with it. I managed to get it for just under £200 so if you shop around or can stretch your budget that little bit it might be worth a punt :)

26. Ldutch

Ldutch

Name:
    Lesley
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Eventually went with the Canon Ef-s 55-250mm IS STM from HDEW cameras for £129. I know they could be classed as a grey importer and the warranty card is for US and Canada but all the reviews on them were good, they hold stocks in the UK and it arrived within a couple of days. They use a Canon approved repairer and I paid on my credit card so hopefully have covered all the bases should something go wrong. I will get some good pics of the Himalayas.

27. GeeJay57

GeeJay57

Name:
    Glenn
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Congrats! I hope you enjoy your holiday and get some great shots.