Buying from Amazon Fr/De/It etc...

Name
Ben
Edit My Images
Yes
I've noticed there's quite a few savings to made when you compare the different amazon sites. I'm specifically looking for a Samyang 8/12mm lens.

Does anyone have an experience of ordering from the EU Amazon sites? anything I should be wary of?

Just be wary of automated translations, sanity check the results to be sure they make sense before purchasing. Be aware that the return policy is that of the country of the store you're purchasing from. Most EU consumer rights are broadly similar, but are not necessarily identical to those in the UK. It's up to you to check first. Some items may not be available for shipping outside the country the Amazon store is based in - I ran into this with a set of brass reduction gears that was only available on Amazon.de but the seller only had the sales territory rights to Germany and wouldn't ship to the UK (fortunately I also have access to several German postal addresses!).

Your .co.uk account is universal and should work on any of the Amazon websites worldwide.

I've used .de several times without problems, and I think I may have used .co.jp once.

I bought a smartphone from amazon.de 3.5 years ago and had no problems during purchase or since. I saved around £120 or more on UK prices at the time. Be aware of differing VAT rates between countries, so the chance of minor price adjustments when shipping to the UK. Also you're better off to pay in Euros and let your bank set the rate rather than Amazon. Prices are cheap on the continent due to the weak Euro, so there are real bargains to be had.

p.s. Try this site in order to find the cheapest Amazon country - http://www.heidoc.net/amazon/amazon_global_check.php?asin=B00I10RHDO&nodb=&button=GO

Last edited:
Ive had similar experience on the US site, but some products cant be sent out of the States - I think as previously said its all about Sales Territories

Getting stuff from the US/Canada is quite frankly a complete pain.

So precious about not sending beyond their own shores. (In many cases they have imported it themselves from the far east anyway)

Is it Govt protectionism or what?

(Luckily some stores like B&H do ship overseas and to the UK.)

Is it Govt protectionism or what?
No, it's probably in part the hassle of Duty and VAT.. but also this this thing called licensed sales territories already mentioned in the thread.

An official dealer for a manufacturer may be limited by their official agreement with the manufacturer as to which territories they can sell the products too. This avoids the official dealer network treading on each others' toes.

Unofficial dealers, or dealers working without such agreements or with less restrictive agreements, or official dealers dealing in goods not covered by the arrangement (used goods and accessories are often not included) have no such restrictions.

But America seems particularly bad at this practice.

Bought from Amazon.de and Amazon.es with no issues whatsoever. As most warranties are EU wide that's not an issue either! I'd have no problems using both again, in fact, I'd recommend them!

Ive just bought some Bose QC 25 from Amazon spain, roughly £110 or so cheaper than Amazon UK and they came from the UK anyway

Last edited:
I bought a coffee machine from Amazon.de a couple of years ago. It was faulty in arrival so returned it. Was a pain as they didn't do prepaid returns label for the UK, so had to pay up about £30 up front for postage. Was refunded this soon enough though and the returns process was pretty straight forward.

I got a film scanner from amazon.de last month. Took slightly longer to arrive than if I had used the uk site as it had to be sent from France, but I saved about £150 over the uk price. I'd definitely do it again.

I just got a samsung 500gb SSD drive from Amazon France for a good discount and received it within 5days.I was apprehensive but no problems with delivery or communication.

Last edited:
I have a Euro prepaid credit card which I use for purchases from either the Spanish or German sites, thus far with no problems and quite a lot of savings.

I am into my movies,brought from most amazon sites around the world with no problems.

Just be careful to tick the postage you want pay,as 1 click usually pick the most expense.

:)

Last edited:
I'm an avid Amazon user, purchased from all the neighboring EU Amazon's with no issues. At times, even if you order from Amazon.DE etc, it will actually ship from within the UK anyway.

This is an interesting thread! Has anyone had experience of making warranty claims, with the non UK Amazon sites?

Fortunately, I haven't actually had to make a claim... Though would be interested to know the answer to this also.

Back