Buying kit in Las Vegas

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
Yes
I've got a business trip coming up in a few months to Vegas, and wondered if it would be worth my while picking up a nice shiny white lens while over there. Does anyone know if the savings are worth it, or should I just get one here in the UK?

Thinking of a 24-70 f2.8 L or a 70-200 f2.8 IS USM L to replace some of the cheaper glass in my bag

How much are they over there? Kerso on here has good prices - just got a 24-70 L from him :)

just check prices on glass here in UK before you travel and once you get there you will know if it is worth it....
Last time Ive checked for some Nikon lenses it was not :)
L.

I think the new Nikkor 70-200 VRII works out at about £1480 so a saving of a few hundred pounds.

I bought a memory card in Vegas that went faulty, and I couldn't return it! Just make sure the warranty is worldwide rather than country specific.

Just remember, what happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas ;-)

Vegas is definietly not the cheapest place to buy kit from in the US.
If you have an office or friend there, get it shipped from out of state and pick it up.

Also, it's best to stay away from the chains and dodgy grey market shops in tourist areas.
I popped into Sahara Camera Center‎ but they didn't have a 24-70L in stock, so they 'phoned the nearby B & C Camera Inc‎ for me (a competitor!) , confirmed the price and I drove up and bought it there. All very friendly. They are both small out-of-the-way camera shops.
I'd recommend B & C.

Saved a bit on UK price, but I'd work out a way to ship from out of state to avoid sales tax in the future.

I tried to buy in Vegas last September the shops just didn't stock the decent stuff or they were out of stock. Prices were ok but not fantastic but if the exchange rate is up near $2/£ it works out a lot better. I did loads of research before heading out there even talking to a freind who is a tog living in Vegas she boys hers and hubbys kit from Samys camera who have a few shops in and around the LA area. I went to one of their shops and same sort of thing the prices were better than Vegas and they had the better kit but the exchange rates were sort of low so the savings were not that great. But definatly check out kerso before going.

Simon i'm not sure about the lenses but i bought a set of Ping golf clubs from the golf shop in ceasars palace and had them shipped to scotland for £320. An absolute steal. I am not sure if they had any camera equipment in the other shops as i wasn't really looking back then.

Back