Beginner buying off gumtree

Name
Amanda
Edit My Images
No
Hey all, thinking of buying an LA-EA4 adaptor off gumtree. Haven't bought anything there before, so looking for some advice!

1. if i am unable to collect item in person, is asking seller to send item by post reliable? any scam stories?
2. is there a secure way of payment to ensure safety for both parties?

Any tips most appreciated!

safer would be buy from ebay but safest way is to look at classifieds section on this very forum :)

You have no come back whatsoever if you send money to someone.
At least with Paypal you're protected and here there's something to lose (your account) if someone stitches you up.

Personally I wouldn't do it but obviously it's up to you Amanda.

You have no buyer protection on Gumtree so it would be best to collect in person if at all possible.

Failing that you could try to pay with Paypal. Have a read of this: http://help.gumtree.com/articles/General_Information/Using-Paypal-to-buy-on-Gumtree?allfaqs=false. Quoted from this link: "Use 'PayPal - Service' when sending money to people you don't know. You need to have used the 'Purchase' option on PayPal. ‘Personal’ payments don’t count – they’re for paying money between friends and family."

Gumtree themselves recommend that you buy in person and check the item carefully before agreeing to buy. They also don't (as far as i'm aware anyway) offer any kind of seller protection if you do decide to buy any other way. Personally, I would stick to ebay, or to wait until there's something on gumtree local to you.

Caveat Emptor!! I prefer Amazon. I suggest this:-
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-LAEA3...F8&qid=1493155056&sr=8-2&keywords=sony+la-ea4
I've bought many items, including expensive glass from Amazon and this is "Sold by Amazon". Never had a problem with any items I've bought which have been "sold by Amazon", (nor any other Amazon dealer). Never had a problem with any returns I've had to make either, (of which very few).
No need for Paypal.
Your Gumtree deal may be very attractive, but you really have to inspect the goods before purchase.

I have on one occasion bought a lens from Gumtree by post. It was advertised in as-new condition and so it was.
you have to consider:
- if things go wrong what's the money limit you are willing to risk? (High risk high reward ;-) ). I was willing to risk £100. I even made £20 profit when I sold off all my gear to switch mounts.
- always pay by PayPal (*not* gift)

Good luck.

I see... decide to not go ahead with the purchase. Thanks everyone for the input!

safer would be buy from ebay but safest way is to look at classifieds section on this very forum :)

just a question, how does buying off classifieds differ from gumtree in therms of safety? I see that the mode of payment is still BT or PayPal?

No difference at all.
Its best just to check the feedback of the seller, how long they have been active on the forum etc.
Still offers you no protection though. Often if its a high value item i will pay by PP but ensure i pay the fees.

The main reason I prefer to use a credit card, is that when you make purchases, you have the right to a refund even if you're turned down by the retailer or service provider, as UK law considers your credit card company equally liable if you suffer a breach of contract. The transaction is between the card company and the seller and not a direct transaction between you and the seller.

But from what I understand you can't go through chargeback process if you used credit card via. paypal? Can someone confirm this?

The responsibility is with the credit card company if you are sold faulty goods or services. But it takes time to go through the system. However in many years of buying on Amazon and E Bay, I've never had a problem.

I often buy and sell from Gumtree, tho I also use our selling website to advertise anything for sale, I've bought and sold there many times using both PayPal and BT, prior to making a payment via BT I get the sellers phone number and give them a call requesting their address (email them if you prefer) threaten with police if items don't turn up, it usually wakes the seller up. Gumtree are happy as are the police as long as the item sent / bought can be traced online, otherwise you're not covered.

Personally I don't use eBay at all, I use Amazon tho

I have bought and sold Via Gumtree, with no problems. I always get a landline and address and have only gone to homes to purchase items, never met in the street etc.

I buy and sell in gumtree as well, but mainly selling and buying music instrument. I always deal with collect in person and deliver by person. If it sound too dodgy don't buy or sell to that person. If meeting outside that is not yours or his home, do it in a super market car park where there are alot of people.

I personally choose train stations with plenty of cameras and security ;-)

I normally have their phone number. Even I knew where they lived, what can I do with that information anyway if they refuse to help or refund the purchase.

When I buy used from such places I normally don't expect any after sales support. If I needed that I'll buy from a proper dealer not gumtree of all places. Like I said above high risk high reward ;):p

Last edited:
I normally have their phone number. Even I knew where they lived, what can I do with that information anyway if they refuse to help or refund the purchase.

When I buy used from such places I normally don't expect any after sales support. If I needed that I'll buy from a proper dealer not gumtree of all places. Like I said above high risk high reward ;):p
If someone sold me a dud, or a stolen item etc. I would politely ask for a refund and I would keep calling at their home, till I got my refund. ;)

But from what I understand you can't go through chargeback process if you used credit card via. paypal? Can someone confirm this?

The one time I had reason to check with my CC company they told me to deal with Paypal direct as it had a finance license and whatever else, i.e. it was up to paypal to refund. Beyond that, I believe the paypal chargeback or whatever trickery applies to ebay transactions.

The responsibility is with the credit card company if you are sold faulty goods or services. But it takes time to go through the system. However in many years of buying on Amazon and E Bay, I've never had a problem.

There is no Section 75 protection if you use a money transfer service such as Paypal. What you are purchasing is the transfer of funds, which Paypal has carried out correctly.
You are not directly purchasing the good with the credit card.

Correct, if you go through a third party such as PayPal then section 75 credit card protection doesn't apply.

Back