Buying outdoor clothes from USA.

KJJ

Name
Kevin
Edit My Images
No
I was looking to buy some decent rainwear for photographing stormy landscapes and I was looking The North Face. However, the UK range in, let's say, 'chunky' sizes is very limited but the US range is much better but they dont ship outside of US. Does anyone know of anyway that they can be purchased and shipped to UK?

Know any friends that are going any time soon?

Have a look to see if Maceys sell any of the items you want they ship to the UK

Reactions: KJJ
The North Face has gone downhill in terms of quality over the last 20 years in my experience - I was an avid customer until a few years ago.

Have you heard of sportpursuit.com? They offer big discounts on a huge range of brands, and regularly have outdoor clothing on sale. They offer limited periods to buy, with new lines added daily. It's best to sign up to their newsletters. I've bought Musto and Arcteryx Goretex jackets from them at over 50% off, along with loads of other kit. The service has always been excellent. As lots of their flash sales appear to be end of line/last season's stock, extra large sizes are often readily available.

Another satisfied customer from sportpiursuit.com
I have bought quite a lot of stuff from them over the years and their service has been excellent and the prices are brilliant, often being 50% or more off RRP. Sometimes the products are manufacturers' samples or only available in limited size/colours but they do cover a wide range of gear and sports including walking, climbing, running etc as well as more general clothing. I have bought Arcteryx, Smartwool and Icebreaker, Haglofs and Mountain Hardwear for example. The only downside is that you sometimes have to wait a while until the sale ends before the goods are posted. They are also good at changing items/refunding for wrong sizes etc.

If you are interested you can use the following link which will gain me a small credit with them;

https://www.sportpursuit.com/join/adrian_trendall_44100

I was looking to buy some decent rainwear for photographing stormy landscapes and I was looking The North Face. However, the UK range in, let's say, 'chunky' sizes is very limited but the US range is much better but they dont ship outside of US. Does anyone know of anyway that they can be purchased and shipped to UK?
Depending on the style of clothing you are after perhaps have a look at Country Innovation's range of jackets, etc. https://www.countryinnovation.com/clothing I've found their jacket sizes to be on the generous side and sizes also go up to XXXL for some of their jackets! The other thing with them is that the jackets are made with birdwatchers in mind, so I find that the hem and sleeves don't tend to ride up as much as some other jackets I've tried when I put binoculars (or a camera) to my eyes.

Not cheap, but you get what you pay for, and I've been happy enough with whatever I've bought from them. If you're interested, CI seem to attend a few birdwatching shows (such as the Birdfair at Rutland Water), so you could always have a look at their stuff and try some for size at one of those if you're not local to their shop? Hope this is useful. :)

Last edited:
I've moved away from North Face and onto more Scandi brands - they're normally larger made, from what i've found too. Fjallraven, Haglofs, Klattermusen (as well as some Patagonia stuff) I own. It's expensive, but in my experience, totally worth the outlay in most cases.

Most of my outdoor wear tends to be from Rohan these days.

Just looked at the SportPursuit website, and can't get anywhere without having to join. I really, really hate that.... Not joining anything until I look around...

Back