Buying used gear...

Edit My Images
No
I know some people love to have nice and shiny new things, but personally I have no problem buying used stuff, especially things that are normally well cared for, like a lens or a flash.

However, what I can't stand is waiting.

I came on here to check out the community and it has been really helpful. It really is a great place, and I've learned stuff already.

It's just the kind of place you'd find people that you'd want to buy used gear off.

Alas, if I'm right, I have to wait two months before I can do that. Is that correct?

:thinking:

I understand the reasons why, but that doesn't stop it being annoying.

I had a look on MPB. They don't have the FLASH I'm after, or either of the two lenses I'm thinking of :(

Last edited by a moderator:
I do hope that the pm is not about dealing outside of classifieds......

;)

That's good then as I'm sure you don't want an infraction when you've only just joined

Because if either of you were dealing outside of classified there would possibly be the need for it. But as it's not, then we're all ok in here

:LOL: please don't give the Admin ideas for another name changed:LOL:

It's not like the Admins can't read PM's to check what was sent. But I understand the reasoning.

actually i believe the MOds cannot read the PMs

hence the word PM..................:thinking:

anyway there's always eBay if you need something in a hurry ...works for me,,,,,,,:D

And you wouldn't believe the amount of cheap flashes and lenses being offered for sale to members from folk wanting christmas money just now!

Lol...

The thing is,we buy from other guy's onsite with a great deal of trust,and it is a trust 99.9% of the time well rewarded.
So I would sooner wait to buy here than some bloke on flea-bay that says things like " I think the camera ,lens is OK ,but I don't do photography."

PS
And everything I follow on F-bay is going for stupid prices.

Last edited:
tomah said:
It's not like the Admins can't read PM's to check what was sent. But I understand the reasoning.

No one can read PM's but the sender and recipient. Not even Admin. Hence why they are called Private Messages :)

so if the PM wasnt to offer product, what was it about?

/goes back to bad mood

No one can read PM's but the sender and recipient. Not even Admin. Hence why they are called Private Messages :)

Well all information is stored in tables in a database, so they can be read if they wished.

Furthermore, there's a hack available for vbulletin forums that give admins access from the control panel.

@Matty
If you must know, the PM suggested another site where there are classifieds selling camera gear. A site suggestion, that's all. No product mentioned or pointed to.

tomah said:
Well all information is stored in tables in a database, so they can be read if they wished.

Furthermore, there's a hack available for vbulletin forums that give admins access from the control panel.

@Matty
If you must know, the PM suggested another site where there are classifieds selling camera gear. A site suggestion, that's all. No product mentioned or pointed to.

There is a hack, but we don't have it installed, the idea being PrIvate messages stay Private.

Patience is the watch word here...

There is a hack, but we don't have it installed, the idea being PrIvate messages stay Private.

Patience is the watch word here...

Like I said, I understand the reason. It makes the community more confident in who they're dealing with and I'll no doubt appreciate that in the future.

I've got my flash now anyhow, and I've a couple of options for a lens outside this forum that I may be able to see in person. So I may have something by the weekend anyway it seems.

Keep up the good work, mods.

The 2 months will fly by, theres always plenty of choice in there to tempt you :LOL:

To be honest I'm not sure I'm looking forward to reaching the two months as I know I won't be able to resist the urge to buy! :LOL:

You may be joking but its very true, I really ought to stay out of there but its just too juicy!

I like the way it is at the moment, it gives me more confidence buying through here, but also people buying from me when I need a clearout :D

Just look at people trader feedback to see how much one person trades on here! I love it! bought and sold probably 90% of my stuff on here and not had 1 issue at all!

Back