Buying used; how important is shutter count?

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
Yes
Apologies if this is the wrong forum, I’m looking to by a second hand camera. I’ve seen a couple on the likes on MBP and Park, one is listed as VGC with a high shutter count (109k) the other as good condition with a lower shutter count (24k) and a few bits missing (battery grip contact cover is missing etc)

Price wise they are roughly in the same ball park.

Any advice on buying second hand?

109k would be a lot for many cameras, perhaps beyond what they are rated for, though there might still be a fair bit of life left in a flagship pro camera. See for example:

and this site with actual failure data for some older cameras:

Agreed - 109,000 for an entry level camera is a lot, for an enthusiast mid range camera then fairly high, and for a pro camera less than half expected life.

You don't say what the camera is.

For a normal consumer camera @ 109k I wouldn't touch with a barge pole. For a Nikon D3 / D4 / D5 its just been run in.

I'd buy from an individual in the first instance. The resellers is the first place to go if you want to get rid of dodgy kit and then you pay for their profits and extra vat on top

depends what camera. I have one rated for 400K and one rated for 500K so 109K is nothing to worry about.

but then you have cameras rated for 100K so 109K then becomes a concern.

another think to remember is they are harder to sell if you want to switch, nobody wants them unless dirt cheap.

there are also many other things to think about, you can get cameras with dirt viewfinders and sensors and batteries and chargers that are not original etc

Replacement shutters are relatively cheap

Shutters can pack up at 1 thousand or 1 million... what the manufacturer gives you is just a guide

Actuations dont work like millage on a car

Your question can't be answered properly wihtout knowing the camera in question :)

Back