Wild Buzzard

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
Possibly my favourite Buzzard shot, now given the beginners LightRoom touch!

16006-1469627975-78dca06ef41ba77f8d51ff4ca383cd73.jpg

1000mm, 1/180s, F8, ISO800

Last edited:
Awesome, what lens was this with? Everytime i try and caprure these, they fly off. Either I'm getting too close, or don't have the looks I used too haha

Awesome, what lens was this with?
500mm F4L c/w a 2xiii Mark. Not an easy bird to get close to at all. This was shot from a Land Rover off the road. If I'd got out of the car, he'd have been off. I think the biggest accomplishment here was taking the shot at 1/180s without a tripod!! :eek:

A bit tight in the frame ,but what a pose ,just a quick 20 sec tweak ,exposure +25 ,shadows and highlights ,white and black levels and the WB cooled down ,its only my take on it and not saying any of the images are right or wrong ,just intresting to see what adjustments do what and how etc 20sec edit (1 of 1).jpg

John

I'm only trying to help here - but do we agree or disagree on WB

I've only gone part way on this because I know you prefer "warm"

john_2.jpg

using the post I would probably start with the following and then adjust

again only throwing my ideas in

john_3.jpg

Last edited:
Lovely pose and composition John, I can understand why you like it but WB looks off to me ... maybe the light but the colour looks a bit unreal :)

good image, by the way .. very under=rated birds because they are seen as being "common"

sharp and you have cracked the detail and DOF

Last edited:
Cheers Gents! I'm going to revisit this one, now that I've been shown the way on the Eagle thread. :D

A bit tight in the frame ,but what a pose ,just a quick 20 sec tweak ,exposure +25 ,shadows and highlights ,white and black levels and the WB cooled down ,its only my take on it and not saying any of the images are right or wrong ,just intresting to see what adjustments do what and how etc
OK @den, I've done exactly what you suggested and the result had a bit of a 'wash' about it, so I've used the dehaze to +25 and it certainly pleases my eye. See what you think.

16009-1469631593-ea602348405ba2dcb9f7c0da910ee3bf.jpg

Looking back at my opening post, I can see exactly why everyone thinks my WB is too warm. I'm going to put it down to wishful (weather) thinking on my part - being in a colder climate!! :D

I think this is 'spot-on' now, so thanks all for the tips. Every day is a school day! ;)

May I play along?

Wild%20Buzzardpp.jpg

just show that we all see things differently - my preference is generally cold unless there is sunlight

but I can see that what I would regard as warmer images, (I tend to call them Canon cloudy), seen to prevail

an interesting exercise

maybe we should take this further as WB is extremely important, IMHO anyway

May I play along?
The more the merrier!! :D

You seem to have succeeded in sharpening things up nicely, possibly just a tad too much (?), but who am I to say! Can I ask what you did to acheive this please, as if my memory serves, you are not a fan of LR (or am I mistaken?).

Edit: Looking again, it's not over-sharpened at all, I think......

Last edited:
mine would probably be this

which is way different from yours or Daniels, John

john_4.jpg

Last edited:
but who am I to say!
You are a members rightfully entitled to opinions
that may prove right or wrong… just like I am. :cool:
Can I ask what you did to acheive this please, as if my memory serves, you are not a fan of LR (or am I mistaken?).
As always, I never use sharpening but work my way
through DRL and tonal separation as in this case.

I do not like the way LR works: colours and more.
Two words are taboo in my book: vibrance and preset.
More likely, it is Adobe I hate! :mad:

Edit: Looking again, it's not over-sharpened at all, I think......
Correct! :)

Back