Caddy for Acer travel mate 4050 HD

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, I am wanting a caddy for an hard drive I have removed from an old Acer travel mate 4050 laptop, but not sure what caddy to look for, advice please.

Attachments

• Acer Travel Mate 4050 Hard Drive   (2).jpg
    Acer Travel Mate 4050 Hard Drive (2).jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 10
  • Acer Travel Mate 4050 HD   .jpg
    Acer Travel Mate 4050 HD .jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 10
On the surmise that it is 2.5 inch drive then you should seek out caddy sizes for that size drive.

However, it looks like you will need to remove the Samsung housing before transferring it to a caddy....and though hard to tell from the picture the single bolt/screw retaining it does look like a Torx slotted head???

I see what you mean, the black bit top of the photo (pic 2).

I think that's a PATA drive rather than SATA, judging from the number of pins and the master/slave jumper. In which case it's really only fit for recycling.

Oh, BB, why do you think that caddy is USB 1.1 as it clearly says USB 3.0? Or are you getting muddled with all the various flavours of USB 3?

I don't know if this helps, there is a block of 43 pins a space then 4 more pins.

I presume you just want to copy any data that is on that HDD to another machine as opposed to getting a new HDD for the same machine.

If you just want to copy the data this should work

"Multibao SATA IDE to USB Adapter Cable for Hard Disk HDD, USB 2.0 to SATA/IDE Converter HDD Cable for 2.5''/3.5'' Hard Drive CD DVD RW Rom : Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Multibao-A...d=1647250991&sprefix=usb+to+ide,aps,79&sr=8-3

I think that's a PATA drive rather than SATA, judging from the number of pins and the master/slave jumper. In which case it's really only fit for recycling.

Oh, BB, why do you think that caddy is USB 1.1 as it clearly says USB 3.0? Or are you getting muddled with all the various flavours of USB 3?

Ah! just read the info more fully........but my comment was based on the "Product Details" copied (sorry formatting gone awry.

Product details
Compatible devicesLaptop, Desktop
Hard disk interfaceUSB 1.1
BrandSabrent
SeriesEC-UASP
Specific uses for productNo
Connectivity technologyUSB

Not the first time I have seen confused information on Amazon about a product ~ I even bought a power supply brick described as suitable for my battery powered label printer. But the power supply output was the wrong polarity!!!

Is a PATA drive same as a IDE drive ?
It is an old Laptop that my daughter in law is scrapping, so I suggested saving the hard drive and place in a caddy/enclosure for saving files too, Taking the rest of the laptop to the local refuge tip.

Technically, no as both PATA & SATA have Integrated Drive Electronics (IDE). But in common parlance, yes. The P is Parallel which is why there are so many pins; the S is Serial which needs just seven wires.
That drive is so small and so old (almost 17 years) it's hardly worth the effort. You'd be much better off buying a 64GB USB flash drive instead.

Last edited:
Back