Cadwell Park - Disaster in more ways than one!

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
Went to Cadwell Park on Sunday 22nd to watch a family friend compete in the No Limits bike racing event, and the day didn't go as planned, in more ways than one!

My friend competes in the Newcomer 1000 series. The event takes place over 2 days of racing, with 1 race on the Saturday, and 3 races on the Sunday (there's an endurance race on the Saturday hence the un-even split). I couldn't go both days (6 hour round trip) so elected to go up on the Sunday.

In the Saturday race my friend fell off the bike on the 2nd lap (having been leading for a while on lap 1, after starting in 6th on the grid). Fortunately only his ego was bruised, although the bike needed some work.

I got to Cadwell on the Sunday just before his first race was due to start. I was at the "mountain" corner (along with loads of other togs). He started dead last after Saturday's disaster, but was up to 10th by about the 4th lap, then disaster struck again. Going for 9th he went wide at Mansfield and lost the bike (the guy in 9th went down as well but don't think they touched). He went down heavy but still got to his feet OK, but then as he went to go pick up his bike it burst into flames! Here's the bike back at the paddock after the marshall's recovered it (and this is after a bit of clean up!):-

On arriving home later that day he went to hospital and it seems he's fractured his wrist, so that's the season over already.

I can't compare my day to his of course, but things didn't go swimmingly for me either. I have a Nikon D3300 (absolutely not the right camera for motorsports but all I could afford at the time) and 2 lenses, a Sigma 150-600mm (a xmas present to myself) which I bought specifically for circuit photography and have already used to good effect at Snetterton, my "local" circuit, and a 18-200mm zoom that I bought to replace the kit lens and use as my everyday walk-around lens (a job it does very well).

Cadwell however is not Snetterton, you can get very close to the track (great for spectators), there's load of access (although not to the spot where the iconic "over the mountain" shots can be taken), and the Sigma was just too big for the job (bearing in mind 150mm on a crop-sensor camera = effective 225mm), so like an idiot I thought I could use the 18-200mm for everything, including the bikes on track. I took about 1600 pictures with it, but when I got home and loaded them up into Lightroom to say I was disappointed is an understatement. Most were horrible. It seems at 200mm (and wide open) the lens is just bad! But even the closer shots (some at less than 50mm) are not a lot better, seems this lens is only good for static subjects! I was in shutter priority mode all day because I wanted to experiment with shutter speeds and I've been caught out with manual mode and not adjusting the aperture to prevent over-exposure (it was a very bright sunny day for the most part). If only I'd gone manual and stopped it down when I could've done, or found a spot where I could've used the Sigma (I'm sure there are some).

Oh well, it was a learning experience (I learned serious togs don't buy f2.8 70-200 pro-sports-zooms for nothing!). I've uploaded the few decent shots I took to Flickr, albeit most of them have been PP'ed to within an inch of their life, but I'm too embarrassed to post them here for proper critique because they don't come close to the kind of quality anyone else around here is capable of.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmigEeny

From my perspective your photos seem acceptably sharp. I wouldn’t call it a disaster more a learning experience as a disaster would be more appropriate for a situation in a happen once only scenario.

I love Cadwell but haven't been much since they moved bsb from the Bank Holiday weekend. I did use a D300 with a Sigma 70-200 2.8 and a Sigma 100-300 and even at 70mm i found it too restrictive in places. I now use a D3 with a 70-200 f4 and a 300 f4 plus 1.4 tc on a D500 although last time would have been the D300.

My last trip

Last edited:
Foggy, wow, see what I mean, your pictures are stunning! 1/80th on the straight, I didn't dare attempt that low, I thought I'd done well to get some at 1/125th coming out of a slow corner! :banghead:

Here's an example of what I'm talking about ...

As shot (although cropped) :-

Sharpened in Lightroom, as much as I dare without ruining it :-

I guess in some ways I'm beating myself up by trying to compete with images I simply can't compete with, crop-sensor camera -vs- full-frame, "consumer" -vs- "pro" lenses. There's a discussion around here about how better gear doesn't make you a better photographer, and maybe it doesn't, but better gear sure as hell takes a better photo, I think my next purchase has to be a f2.8 of some sort, maybe a 24-70 to cover those really close shots, and stick to the big Sigma for the long range shots.

I don't know why you are beating yourself or your lens up.
sharpness during pan shots is largely down to the accuracy of the pan. Almost any lens can achieve the necessary sharpness. if it can do so on a static subject.
During a panshot you are smearing the image on to the sensor. Only those that keep in exact sync with the subject can look sharp.

Your best bet would be to look for a 70-200 f2.8. Would cover most of the focal distances you want and would be fast.
I shoot with a D5500 and used to used kit lenses. (55-300) Since buying the 70-200 my keep rate is way higher and the pictures are much sharper. Win win all round.
Have bought a 1.4x tele converter for use this year so I can extend my range slightly.

Thanks, I've had some practice over the last 10 years.
The big difference between mine and yours is I had glorious sunshine and yours are overcast.
I'm on the phone atm so can't really judge your last 2 examples.

sharpness during pan shots is largely down to the accuracy of the pan.

I don't disagree, but I took some at 1/2000th, and even they look softer than I was expecting!

Your best bet would be to look for a 70-200 f2.8.

Yeah I did before I bought the Sigma 150-600, Wex (which is an hour up the round from me) had a few, but the trouble is even a 2nd hand 70-200 f2.8 is many £100's more than a new Sigma 150-600, and throw in a TC for the extra reach and it was more than I could afford.

The big difference between mine and yours is I had glorious sunshine and yours are overcast.

I had glorious sunshine as well for some of the day, though the examples I posted above were later in the day when the sun had gone in, plus it's near Hall Bends where the tress cast a shadow over the track.

I guess I just went to Cadwell thinking I'd come away with a stonking set of photos, and am disappointed they didn't come out as well as I'd hoped.

There is a sigma for sale on this forum for less than £500 I believe. Will be perfect for the job as it is exactly the same as mine. Yes it hasn't got OS but you can manage fine without.
It might be something you can build up to. I am jealous of those with longer reach. Would love a 300mm f2.8 or f/4 which I can use with the 1.4 TC.

I guess I just went to Cadwell thinking I'd come away with a stonking set of photos, and am disappointed they didn't come out as well as I'd hoped.
I feel the same no matter what I shoot but always feel next time will be better.

There is a sigma for sale on this forum for less than £500 I believe. Will be perfect for the job as it is exactly the same as mine.

You have the Sigma f2.8 70-200? The Nikon version is out of my reach at the moment, but if that Sigma is even close to being as good it might be worth it ... (my Sigma 150-600 is brilliant, night and day better image quality than any of my other lenses, wish I'd used it at Cadwell)

Yeah I have the EX DG Macro version. I was like you, I couldn't justify the cost of the Nikon variants, and whilst they are better lenses, in my hands the difference wouldn't really be so noticeable.
I was amazed at how fast it focuses and how crisp the photos are compared with the 55-300mm kit lens I had been using previously.

Hi Mark . I think this is a great shot! well done. I use Affinity software and know little about Photo shop or Lightroom. I did a little play about with your image and by applying a little more clarity and vibrancy it lifts your picture.(y) My humble opinion of course.:)

Thanks Charles, I never really know where to go with vibrancy, even a little seems to make things like green grass too green, for example, so I try to avoid going too mad in that direction, although the grass at Cadwell is actually very green, it's a great circuit and will definitely be going again.

Back