Critique Californian Summer in Scotland

SFTPhotography

Ranger Smith
Suspended / Banned
Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
Last Friday night was immense with azure blue skies and lovely hot weather meaning it was just a joy to be out and about taking pictures. I make no apologies for being drawn to clear cloudless warm scenes. I just like them and love pictures of them and taking pictures of them. It's now lovely and green now and all the trees have leaves on them. I found myself back at Torren Lochan watching the evening sunlight hits the peak of Bidean Nam Bian. If you didn't know the area you could easily mistake this for California and that in my view, is an extremely good thing. Weather like this just makes life better.

_DSC0525 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

The clouds came in around sunset so went down to Loch Tulla and went for a simple 50:50 and took it to 2:1

_DSC1094 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

Nice evening taking my favourite type of pictures during my favourite season in the weather I just love.

Sadly wind and rain is around for this week so doubt will get out. I hate the wind and rain.

Both pleasant, but not your best.
You should get out in a boat and get rid of the surface weed Steve ;) . I suppose this weed will hang around until winter when a frost will kill it off? . Honestly though the weed must annoy you, your shots are based on perfect reflections and whether you think it's picky or not, the weed does detract especially in the 2nd shot.

Both pleasant, but not your best.
You should get out in a boat and get rid of the surface weed Steve ;) . I suppose this weed will hang around until winter when a frost will kill it off? . Honestly though the weed must annoy you, your shots are based on perfect reflections and whether you think it's picky or not, the weed does detract especially in the 2nd shot.

The weed does annoy me. It'll be there all summer as you say. I don't own a boat sadly otherwise I would. I've been known to fish out the odd thing or two but there's too much.

I'm happier with one. It's just more me anyway with the clear sky and the golden light

1st one really is like glass on that water, lovely shot Steve.
2nd one dont do much for me, looks a bit dull imo.
Everyday here is like a California day :p

i think these are lovely shots
i like them a lot better than your rannochch moor ones you just posted i think the difference in your photos is chalk and cheese
i like definate colours not wish washy / pastel type colours
don't take offence its just the way i see it

Yep I like number one, lovely light, would agree with Neil ref. the weeds a bit, they do detract.

I'd ask though why you feel the need to defend yourself with these images? If you like them and are comfortable shooting them they shouldn't need any justification.

I sense there is a slight machismo about images taken in adverse conditions and a snobbery/elitism about those that aren't. Perhaps I'm wrong but too much social media exposure perhaps.

You see it here and certainly on Facebook , comments made with a derisory tone to the tune of "too nice" or "chocolate box". The best one was "when it's sunny you can't take classy image" or words to that affect. I think that's total BS and not even thinly veiled elitism to somehow tell everyone their works better.

I've had it here before with people on and on about reflections and sunlight. I know what I like and like what I know.

However I think the phrase "defend" is a tad strong. I just thought I'd explain how much I like the summer :)

@SFTPhotography

The reason I ask is it does come across as though you're on the defensive with it without prompt - we all like taking images of what we like otherwise we wouldn't be doing it in the first place, that's pretty much a given. A good image is a good image, whether it's a reflection, a storm, a lone tree, whatever, it just has to be done well. Every type of landscape photography at some point becomes 'cliche' or 'chocolate box' if it's dumbed down to its most basic level, it's all been done before at some point whatever anyone says.

The reason I used the term 'defend' is because you said you make no apology for being drawn to these scenes, when no one was asking you to in the first place, that's all. I'm relatively new to photography and i'm finding there's a lot of delicate little flowers out there who are always trying to deride each others work in one form or another - at the end of the day it's just opinion, nothing else. Wish more people would just take the images they want to take and get on with it.

Last edited:
I love to see the weed in lochs like that, it's home to so much aquatic wildlife and without it the loch would be little more than a rocky hole filled with water. So let's hear it for aquatic vegetation, natural colours, natural looking scenes, natural looking photographs... and just nature in general, really! (y)

Last edited:
Both rather nice but the first would be my pick. I love the clairty of it and of course, it is one of my favourite spots too, although I'm yet to photograph the look from this end. They say images can be taken at "the wrong time of day" and the 1st might qualify for that category but I don't subscribe to that opinion fully. Sometimes, maybe I do as I've been in Glencoe in harsh, afternoon sun and it's not good. Here though, I think the light is just begining to soften and it's working. Blue skies (and reflections) can be marmite but if it works, it works. The 1st does work for me. I like the 2nd image too, the weed doesn't bother me but I'm not so keen on the hazyness on the hills but it's still a keeper.

@SFTPhotography

The reason I ask is it does come across as though you're on the defensive with it without prompt - we all like taking images of what we like otherwise we wouldn't be doing it in the first place, that's pretty much a given. A good image is a good image, whether it's a reflection, a storm, a lone tree, whatever, it just has to be done well. Every type of landscape photography at some point becomes 'cliche' or 'chocolate box' if it's dumbed down to its most basic level, it's all been done before at some point whatever anyone says.

The reason I used the term 'defend' is because you said you make no apology for being drawn to these scenes, when no one was asking you to in the first place, that's all. I'm relatively new to photography and i'm finding there's a lot of delicate little flowers out there who are always trying to deride each others work in one form or another - at the end of the day it's just opinion, nothing else. Wish more people would just take the images they want to take and get on with it.

I've had a bit of incoming in quite a few threads over the ages suggesting I do something different. Why would I when I don't want to? It was also to pre-empt some of the inevitable comments that are made.

I'm glad you've had your 2ps worth.

I've had a bit of incoming in quite a few threads over the ages suggesting I do something different. Why would I when I don't want to? It was also to pre-empt some of the inevitable comments that are made.

I'm glad you've had your 2ps worth.
Steve if you start your post pre-empting criticism before anyone has even commented it's fair cop that you might get asked why. I'm not getting at you, simply saying just post the image(s) without the other stuff, your type of photography doesn't need justification. Carry on shooting what you like, it's a critique forum people will have opinions just like you do with not liking certain things.

Having lived half my life in San Diego, and half 45 miles south of St. Louis, I have come to love those who have man made lakes stocked with fish for eating. Here a small lake meeting this ability will be clean over a even smaller holding pond made out in the fields. A habit I picked up from Calif. because of the droughts, "lets go out and keep an eye out for water, and later in the day after the sun has just gone down, I would wait a few minutes for the reflection off the Ocean up to the hemisphere crawl across the semi dark landscape. A picture like Stephen has would make my heart pump to feel just having the chance to take reflections of this kind of goodies. I like um and can remember praying for rain and finding collection ponds. Cheers as this is a good conversaion.

Nice work Steve I like both with the reflection in the first making it stand out.
The colours in the second are very nice.

They are very much your style keep enjoying taking them.

Nice work Steve I like both with the reflection in the first making it stand out.
The colours in the second are very nice.

They are very much your style keep enjoying taking them.

Fear not. I have 3 reflection images from yesterday and one curveball I was forced to take as the wind chopped up a reflection. Lovely evening it was but sadly a bit colder. Definitely trousers and long sleeves as opposed to tapps aff and shorts. By the time I finished at the Buachaille the car said 6.5c which is ridiculously cold for the time of year. It was touching 18c this time a fortnight ago at dusk.

I might be in the area tomorrow as it looks a still evening with a chance of light. Will keep reviewing forecasts though.

Having lived half my life in San Diego, and half 45 miles south of St. Louis, I have come to love those who have man made lakes stocked with fish for eating. Here a small lake meeting this ability will be clean over a even smaller holding pond made out in the fields. A habit I picked up from Calif. because of the droughts, "lets go out and keep an eye out for water, and later in the day after the sun has just gone down, I would wait a few minutes for the reflection off the Ocean up to the hemisphere crawl across the semi dark landscape. A picture like Stephen has would make my heart pump to feel just having the chance to take reflections of this kind of goodies. I like um and can remember praying for rain and finding collection ponds. Cheers as this is a good conversaion.

I like the heat and the sun. I far prefer to be out when it's 30c and opposed to 3c...

But I don't think I'd enjoy the lack of water. There's something enchanting about still water that I'd know I'd miss in a desert like climate. I hate being out in the rain but I know without it the places I like wouldn't hold the same appeal. Plus I'd be thirsty

Fear not. I have 3 reflection images from yesterday and one curveball I was forced to take as the wind chopped up a reflection. Lovely evening it was but sadly a bit colder. Definitely trousers and long sleeves as opposed to tapps aff and shorts. By the time I finished at the Buachaille the car said 6.5c which is ridiculously cold for the time of year. It was touching 18c this time a fortnight ago at dusk.

I might be in the area tomorrow as it looks a still evening with a chance of light. Will keep reviewing forecasts though.
Cairngorm Mountain posted a short video of the snow fall yesterday... :)
It's on their Facebook page, posted at 4.52pm on Wednesday:
https://www.facebook.com/CairnGormMtn/

Cairngorm Mountain posted a short video of the snow fall yesterday... :)
It's on their Facebook page, posted at 4.52pm on Wednesday:
https://www.facebook.com/CairnGormMtn/

That's insane. There shouldn't be snow at this time of year. It should be shorts and T shirt weather. Winter needs to hold off for 5 months.

I had planned to go up tonight but the forecast is looking a bit dull. I may review later today.

Can we post pictures in this thread, I am new and have picked up feel of the thread and that no one posts expressive pictures of the elements and other aspics of water reflection ?

Thanks for the fast response SFTPhotography. I see now that this is a Critique thread. It slipped, good stuff going thru the air here. I already started one thread you have been kind enough to respond in. I have few reflection pictures and post in "post your best reflection photos"
Cheers

Sorry SFTPhotography, I should have said "I have been involved in threads your active in",. Sorry about that. I started a thread named "Small towns and main streets". It has Gathered some black and white early pictures that are full of great content that leaves me in a wonder, with some good stories that make up with small towns. Very happy with the photographers who can see life stories with small places.

Last edited:
No.1 Steve for me. For me, thats the type of shot you're known for.

@SFTPhotography

:agree:

Back