Calling all Canon 450d Users!!

Then hurry up Karlm and come join the revolution!

Had mine for about 6/8 weeks now. Hopefully have a 55-250 on its way for xmas.

Evil: what did you think of the field guide book ? I was pondering the david busch book, amazon US customer review say that it tells you why you want to use a certain setting rather than just telling you how to turn it on/off, which I think is more what I need right now - if I get to understand why in examples I can go and re-apply to other situations.

Someone asked about a macro lens, a friend uses a 100mm f2.8 on his 40D and he does some nice stuff with that, have a look at his flickr www.flickr.com/photos/niddler
I would look at that, about £320 new I think.

Damn! I bought Understanding Exposure on tuesday on Amazon Marketplace, email came today. It will be with you in 14 days or more, seller is from the US :(
So annoyed, i need to understand ISO, etc to get my C/W. Ill have to search the web

I bought a 450d yesterday! Off to Harrisons in Sheffield to get hold of another memory card and a shoulder bag.

I like the look of the Nifty Fifty for indoor use and will probably pick one up in the New Year, but can anyone recommend a good, budget, wide-angle lens for landscape photography?

By the way, what is the standard warranty on these 450D's?

I believe it's 12 months. I paid a bit extra to get the John Lewis Warranty extension to 3 years. The best bit being that the warranty is dealt with by John Lewis and not Canon directly as is the norm. Many years ago, I used to work in tech support and had the extreme misfortune of dealing with Canon and therefore the chance to let someone else take the pain was a Godsend for me.

I got mine on monday. Got the jessops bundle, 450D 18-55 is, Tamron 70-300, 4GB card, spare battery, & i added an 8GB card & made them give me a pack of screen protectors free. I'm waiting for the sales to start on boxing day to get a bag & tripod. I'm also thinking of getting a flash aswell. I already have a tripod from 1986 but i think i should get a new one. I've only been taking snaps around the flat (not thinking of subject) to understand the features & see how the various WB settings & playing with shutter speeds etc affect everything. I love it's night pic ability. I took a shot out my flat window last night (hand held) & i was amazed at how vibrant the colours were. I'm trying to understand the proceesing aswell as that gets just as bloody complicated.

I LOVE THIS CAMERA!!! :canon: :woot:

Dam, i was gonna wait for boxing day to get this bundle but couldn't gamble on therm still having the bundle offer. Just checked their site & they've extended the 10% & you also get a £25 canon voucher. I've dipped out already on £25.

I got mine a few months back from Jessops - the kit lens and Tamron 70-300 and free 4gb card and bag. Quickly added a nifty-fifty, monopod, spare memory card and battery and a few filters. Have just had the Canon 17-85mm IS lens delivered, and will hopefully add the grip, a flashgun and a tripod in the new year. Now all I need to do is learn how to use it to its full potential!!

Well, my sdhc card is stuck at the post office! So still cant take pics til monday! booo... Biggest moon of the year last night, and i dont have card, 300mm lens, or clear weather!

And trying to read through the digital field guide at the mo!

Ras,

If you look in the menus there is an optio you can set so you can still use the camera with no card, you could still have a play with focus/dof etc

Got mine now! Been toying with getting one for a while and I've come into a little (and I mean little) bit of cash, so rather than buy everyone Christmas presents I bought me one!
Hubbie chipped in as well with a few bits, so can't wait until Christmas Day.

It is Christmas tomorrow isn't it?

:woot: :woot: :woot:

cracked the SD card out the wii and took some shots of the dog today. Not bad! Lots to learn, and some real hit and miss shots!

Ok, some lil shots (dunno how to get flickr to show them bigger?!) i took yesterday. Mui Mui is our coton du tulear dog. And one of the main reasons i wanted to get a DSLR!

And the moon pic is because i was jealous of my mate with his 1000mm sigma...

3110806547_baba1088e2.jpg

Mui with toy.

3111652094_9ee98e1be7.jpg

Mui up close

3111657056_40c418b126.jpg

Mui after i realised i could take pics without the flash!

3110800029_854707bfcd.jpg

Wayne rooney!

3111635288_ccd29950cc.jpg

As close as a 55mm lens and 5th floor flat will take you to the moon.

Nice one Carol. Ras, Mui looks a cute dog. Love the Moon shot :D, it clearly shows the phase and even though it's tiny, I can see the Mare (Seas)...

Looks like the sony people have won! their thread is much busier than this one!

Come Christmas day, there will be a lot more 450D users :D,
I mean there is not much you can write when your camera is stuck in a Christmas wrapped box :(.

I dont have one, and feel all left out. All for the sake of two digits. :crying: Anyone wanna be in my 400D gang? We'll go round and sort that camera-ist 450D lot out! :bat:

looks like my 350d (how old school am i) isn't welcome anywhere :crying: But i will join you Lee in the :bat: if i'm welcome :p

yeah, let's hijack their thread and discuss 350/400D's instead. :p

yeah, let's hijack their thread and discuss 350/400D's instead. :p

plan - i have to say i find my 350d a much better camera than the 450d (which my bf has just brought) i really don't like having to use the display screen to check the settings it seems a bit point and shoot like to me rather than grown up camera.

what's the direct competition to this for the Nikon and Sony range?

Toothie, :razz: you can see the settings in the viewfinder too :D... but coming from a P&S Bridge, it's certainly helped make the transition a bit easier.. At least when I got it I knew where to look :LOL:

I'd love a 350d as well... Then I can take the IR filter out... :D

Toothie, :razz: you can see the settings in the viewfinder too :D... but coming from a P&S Bridge, it's certainly helped make the transition a bit easier.. At least when I got it I knew where to look :LOL:

I'd love a 350d as well... Then I can take the IR filter out... :D

i can't find anything on it - trying to show Martyn how to use it and i have to spend 10mins looking for what i want :wacky:

ah.... I can see how that would be a pain...

I've had my 450D for a month or so now. Well impressed with it, been out a few times and got some good results from it.

I got it in a package with the kit lens, memory card, little samsonite case and a table tripod. I already had a cheap tripod from my previous compact and that's all the kit I've got for now.

I've got an RC-1 Remote control on the way for Christmas. My brother wouldn't just give me money so got the remote instead.

Lack of funds dictates that that's it for now, although my hopes for the future are next a 70-300 IS USM, I'm used to the zoom on my old Fuji S5600, now that I'm limited to 55mm, I'm starting to miss it. Almost falling into Lake Windermere trying to shoot some ducks is NOT good :|

After that my mate keeps telling me I need a Nifty, I'd like a 580EX II or maybe a few ;) That's all my definate plans for now, I would like a 70-200 F2.8L in the future and no doubt get something a bit better to replace the kit lens :)

yeah, i want the 70-300mm IS USM, but its still over £350.. The 55-250 IS is looking like my next lens at £190. ALSO missing the zoom from previous cameras!

Ras, I got the 55-250 as it gave me a slightly greater (35mm eq) range to the Z2 (which has a 10x zoom of 38-380 eq) when combined with the kit lens.

yeah, i want the 70-300mm IS USM, but its still over £350.. The 55-250 IS is looking like my next lens at £190. ALSO missing the zoom from previous cameras!

I was really close to buying the 7-300 from ebay.. only went for around £55.. but after asking about the lens on here, I was told it's a soft lens, and I'll hate it.. but me off it..

Love the moon pic Evil Ras! :D

i can't find anything on it - trying to show Martyn how to use it and i have to spend 10mins looking for what i want :wacky:

When you half press the shutter button, you will see the settings, for the ISO, focal length, F-stop etc in the view finder.
I much prefer this than faffing about looking at the screen on the back and it makes it easier to compose your shot and make the neccessary changes while looking through the viewfinder.

haha! i wasnt impressed with the moon pics as its too small! But really happy that other people liked it!

Looking forward to taking more dog pics at xmas, and off to whitby for new year. so i'll try my hand at outdoor photography!

i thought the 70-300 IS USM was a good lens. but the 70-300 IS and 75-300 were too soft? The 55-250 seems to be kit lens quality but gets decent enough reviews.

I was really close to buying the 7-300 from ebay.. only went for around £55.. but after asking about the lens on here, I was told it's a soft lens, and I'll hate it.. but me off it..

Love the moon pic Evil Ras! :D

There for a number of different 70-300 lenses, the one you were looking at would not have been the IS version at that price and yes it is soft, better with the Sigma version.

When you half press the shutter button, you will see the settings, for the ISO, focal length, F-stop etc in the view finder.
I much prefer this than faffing about looking at the screen on the back and it makes it easier to compose your shot and make the neccessary changes while looking through the viewfinder.

i know but all the buttons are in the wrong place compared to the 350d, takes ages to find them. Then when i go back to my camera i have to think about it. Why did Canon have to move everything??

got my 450d about 2 weeks ago now from park cameras. wasnt the camera i set out to get wasnt even on my short list! but it is growing on me

I've had mine for a few months now and love it. I have the kit lens and a nifty fifty, 6 sandisk 2BG ultra cards, 3 batterys, and a cheap tripod from 7dayshop. The wife has got me a Tamrac bag for crimbo with room for 2 bodys(y). After crimbo i'll look at replacing the kit lens and then if work pics up a flash:thinking:

12gb oif storage?! What are you shooting, and where do you store it all afterwoods?!

I have an 8Gb in the camera and carry 3x2gb spares. I don't normally use more than the 8Gb, but when on hols for instance for a week, it's real handy. And shooting in RAW limits the amount each card can hold quite considerably. Once processed, a fair number have gone in the bin, I save all the RAW's to an external hard disk, export the ones I think are keepers to TIF and burn them to DVD before also copying to the external disk.

If I'm out taking Astro shots, then I really need the big card. My record is 154 frames in one stack (just the image data). I lost probably another 60 to star trailing and clourds (210), took 15 flat frames, 15 dark frames, and 15 darks, so about 250 image frames.

Yes you need a lot of storage :D

12gb oif storage?! What are you shooting, and where do you store it all afterwoods?!

At the moment not alot:shrug:. I got a bit carried away as they were on offer. i store pics on a 500gb ex harddrive.

Well, jacobs in manchester have no 55-250 IS in stock. And jessops want £235 for the display model!!! So we got a lowepro 100aw at jacobs, for HALF the price of jessops! So thats being wrapped for crimble. And i'm huting the interwebz now for a cheaper 55-250 IS! As i can't convince the missus that i need a 70-300 IS USM!

Well, jacobs in manchester have no 55-250 IS in stock. And jessops want £235 for the display model!!! So we got a lowepro 100aw at jacobs, for HALF the price of jessops! So thats being wrapped for crimble. And i'm huting the interwebz now for a cheaper 55-250 IS! As i can't convince the missus that i need a 70-300 IS USM!

I got mine from camerabox.
http://www.camerabox.co.uk/productDA1.asp?ProductName=Canon-EF-S-55-250mm-f4-5.6-IS&ProductID=4517
Hope that helps. :)

Back