Calling all Canon 450d Users!!

Talking about reading the manual..

When looking through the menu's on my 450d, I came across a function where you can up the size of the file. It's not the S/M/L/RAW bit... there was another one. It indicated the size of the file.. trying to find the menu again is a nightmare, and cant find it in the manual eaither.. anyone know what I'm talking about?? lol.

I wanted to up the size, hoping on a 100% crop the image is sharp, but it's always soft! Is it the standard lens, my crap photography, or quality setting?

I've just been looking at the manual, but can't find anything about that. There's a number of sizing things for printing etc. As for it looking soft, where are you viewing it and are you shooting RAW or JPG. Can you post an example ?

I wanted to up the size, hoping on a 100% crop the image is sharp, but it's always soft! Is it the standard lens, my crap photography, or quality setting?

If its RAW thats normal, the images will need sharpening. If using JPG the picture style menus can alter the amount if in-camera sharpening.

But it could just be technique (blur, depth of field issues, focus issues etc).

Another owner here, purchased mine last year but only recently started to use it (due to friend more skilled and experienced showing me what can be achieved with the kit lens etc!)

Just wanted to know if there's any recommendations for a flash gun for this?

430ex etc. I'm on the look out for 2nd hand but any other alternatives that work well with the 450D and are on the lower budget end?

Might be worth taking a look in Jessops and see if you can get there 300AFD, I got one for £34 last weekend. Not as good as the speedlights, but for the money... and allow you to try some things out ...

Might be worth taking a look in Jessops and see if you can get there 300AFD, I got one for £34 last weekend. Not as good as the speedlights, but for the money... and allow you to try some things out ...

yup I noticed that and was in there yesterday and was soooo very tempted. How do you find it?
Is it pretty much automatic and acts as a much better built in flah but with ability to swivel and bounce

what about any of the other ones?

Hi 450 owners, I have just recently joined this site so still feeling my way around. Not many posts to my name,Bought my Camera Sept 2008 from jessops part of package with the 18-55 plus the tamron 70-300 macro lens,I have since added a 50mm EF 1.4 and a nice wide angle sigma 10-20mm for lanscapes. Would love to buy a Canon ef 2.8 100mm Macro but it has just gone up in price above my £300 limit so i will have to wait unless anyone out there has on spare for around that sort of cash dependant on condition of course, get in touch. Also on my wish list but for the future a decent long lens that i would be able to use if and when i upgrade.

hi aztec
instead of splurging on a macro lens how about a raynox, just got a dcr-250 and it's brilliant, will post some pics when i've got used to it, they're about 40 quid from ebay am very impressed with the quality so far
cheers
marcus

The Raynox is really great (y)

hi mike I live in the haresfinch area of st helens been looking at moving but not sure were to maybe somewhere a little bit more rural very happy in present location good neighbours etc

I concur with the Raynox. All my more recent shots in the Macro section were taken with the 55-250 and Raynox DCR-250

good choice! that's my exact setup now, also got a 202 but it doesn't seem as easy to get good results as with the 250
v impressed, loving the 55-250 IS too............now which lens next.....
:nuts:

How about a Canon 10-22mm?
I've received one today and although I've not had any chance to go out and play with it properly, the few shots I have around the house and garden have impressed me.
Can't wait to try it own when we go on holiday.

How about a Canon 10-22mm?
I've received one today and although I've not had any chance to go out and play with it properly, the few shots I have around the house and garden have impressed me.
Can't wait to try it own when we go on holiday.

The Canon 10-22mm is good but I opted for the Sigma 10-20mm EX lens, fantastic build quality and very sharp images. I love it :)

The Canon 10-22mm is good but I opted for the Sigma 10-20mm EX lens, fantastic build quality and very sharp images. I love it :)

I should have mentioned the Sigma 10-20 as it's a good price and a good lens.
I was going to buy one but for various reasons I decided on spending the extra on the Canon version

:clap:Got mine just before xmas and absolutely loving it. Brought as kit with 18-55 and 90-300 lenses. Got a Lowepro fastpack350 (awesome) and a few ultraII sandisk SDHC cards. Fantastic equipment.
By the way i'd recomend the 450d for dummies book by Julie King. Under a tenner on amazon.

I bought my 450D today and I'm loving it so far! I had a 400D before this (shared with my mum) and this is a big improvement. The interface is so much sleeker and it generally just feels a lot nicer. I love it! :D

Posted the same in Sony thread by mistake! luckily they did not shot me down, but a warm welcome :)

Just about to join the 450D club this evening with a Sigma 18-200 (bought from forum member nick). I understand Canon 50mm 1.8 nifty-fifty is a must have lens, what other lens are must have within £100-£200 budget

Thanks

:love:

I'm loving my 450D. Here's the 3rd shot I took with it:

20090211160314_hdr1.jpg

I am loving my 450D. I currently have the kit lens and the 55-250 IS which is great. But I am getting into bird photography so thinking I need to extra length. Have been looking at the Sigma 150-500. Anyone tried one of these on a 450D?

Is there a thread like this but for the 400d?

Photomatix?

Photomatix is a program for making HDR images, a bit like a basic photoshop!

Another Newbie Here Guys got myself a 450D, All the Help is Very Welcome im gonna need it :)

I here a lot about the Niffy Fifty, whats all that about, what shots is it used for and can anyone post any example pics taken with a niffty.

i have the 18-55 that came with the 450D so do i really need a niffty.

thanks Guys

the nifty fifty is a prime lens at 50mm with options in F1.8 and F1.4 (latter more money)

as its a prime and no zoom - its a lens that produces quality images and is pretty quick. used on the cropped lens of the 450d means its 80mm equivalent (or something like that - im new too!) so effectively makes a good portrait lens. The F stop means its aperture is considered wide and produces good shallow depth of field (where your subject is in focus and the background is blurred - bokeh) I had mine and went ott with the lens wide open for ALOt of shots

I think the reason behind it's popularity is it's a good quality glass for minimum outlay.

welcome to Club 4fiddy dee :)

Does the nifty fifty do macro shots?

extension rings?

A "nifty" with extension tubes can produce some pretty good macro shots.
The attached pic is with the 50mm MKII with 63mm of extension tubes ( all three of a jessops set ) Not cropped, with a little high pass sharpening

3272011763_0316f32506.jpg

Larger Pic

Welcome to the forum scrag..

There's a thread Nifty Fifty on tour.. it's being sent around the forums to for a tour (duh).. I'm next onthe list yay! Can't wait to try it out.. wish I had it before I went to Hong Kong though..

Added a gorilla pod to my list after a trip to HK woohoo!

Back