Calling all Sony Alpha users! (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would think the Tamron has a more useful range (25.5-75mm FF equiv.) than the Sigma (36-105mm FF equiv.) on an APS sensor. The Sigma seems to me to be neither wide enough at one end nor long enough at the other to be really useful. Whereas the Tamron nicely covers a good range around the old 50mm standard or normal length.

Rog

I suppose it depends on the use and what other lenses you have. As I have the Sony 70-200 f2.8 and am planning on getting the Sigma 10-20, the 24-70 is ideal for me.

I suppose it depends on the use and what other lenses you have. As I have the Sony 70-200 f2.8 and am planning on getting the Sigma 10-20, the 24-70 is ideal for me.

did you have to go mention the 10-20 marc...have been fancying one for a while now,but have always spent my lolly on other things,and putting the 10-20 on the backburner....it will have to wait a while longer now,having got the grip yesterday :thinking:

Do minolta flashes fit the sony's or did they change the hotshoe?

Hotshoe is still the same as the minolta fitting. Don't think there are any other issues as long as it is a fairly recentish Minolta flash.

did you have to go mention the 10-20 marc...have been fancying one for a while now,but have always spent my lolly on other things,and putting the 10-20 on the backburner....it will have to wait a while longer now,having got the grip yesterday :thinking:

Well I definitely won't be able to afford it until the summer at least and only then if I'm working.

Indeed but Daniel originally asked about "standard" zooms and I took it that he wants a lens based around the standard 50mm (FF) and seems to me the Tamron best answers that. :)

I've had the Sigma 10-20mm and I found it a very good lens. I recently sold it on as I've been clearing out most of my lenses that don't cover FF in preparation for ... guess what? :)

Is it just me ... I find the strange flock finish on Sigmas a bit off-putting. It seems to attract dust/fingermarks/grime like a magnet and they look used ten minutes from new. Of course it's only cosmetic ... but do I wish the finish were different.

Indeed but Daniel originally asked about "standard" zooms and I took it that he wants a lens based around the standard 50mm (FF) and seems to me the Tamron best answers that. :)

I've had the Sigma 10-20mm and I found it a very good lens. I recently sold it on as I've been clearing out most of my lenses that don't cover FF in preparation for ... guess what? :)

Is it just me ... I find the strange flock finish on Sigmas a bit off-putting. It seems to attract dust/fingermarks/grime like a magnet and they look used ten minutes from new. Of course it's only cosmetic ... but do I wish the finish were different.

All fair comment as usual Rog.

I actually prefer the finish on the Sigmas, The Tamrons seem so cheap and plasticky by comparison but then again I've always preferred matt over gloss! ;)

A
I actually prefer the finish on the Sigmas, The Tamrons seem so cheap and plasticky by comparison but then again I've always preferred matt over gloss! ;)

... I knew it was just me ... as usual :(

If you want "built like tank" ... have you ever seen the top-end Tokinas?
I a had Tokina 28-70mm f/2.8 ATX Pro SV MAF ... weighed more than the camera!

... I knew it was just me ... as usual :(

If you want "built like tank" ... have you ever seen the top-end Tokinas?
I a had Tokina 28-70mm f/2.8 ATX Pro SV MAF ... weighed more than the camera!

One of the reasons I like the 24-70, I do like a solid feel to these things. The combination of the A700, grip and 24-70 feels extremely good. (y) Doesn't take half bad pics either! :D

Cheers I know it's not a Sony flash but they have gone to silly prices.
It will do me just fine for the amount I will use it.

you just need the grip now ;)

i contacted the interested person a few days ago,and he hasn't got back to me yet..i will give him until the end of the week,and if he hasn't contacted me by then...then it's yours if you want it (y)

went out and used the A700 for really the first time today...shots are here

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=107216

you just need the grip now ;)

i contacted the interested person a few days ago,and he hasn't got back to me yet..i will give him until the end of the week,and if he hasn't contacted me by then...then it's yours if you want it (y)

went out and used the A700 for really the first time today...shots are here

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=107216

Ok Stan if you dont hear anything by the end of the week PM me and I will take it off your hands like I said though will have the money not this friday but next.

Photo's look great did you take them with the G lens?

Ok Stan if you dont hear anything by the end of the week PM me and I will take it off your hands like I said though will have the money not this friday but next.

Photo's look great did you take them with the G lens?

yes mate...taken with the 70-200 plus 1.4 teleconverter.they are okay,but a little soft,and the blackbird being the best.

the A700,Grip and 70-200+T/C weighs quite a bit....might have been better if i had taken my monopod :bonk: :LOL:

yes mate...taken with the 70-200 plus 1.4 teleconverter.they are okay,but a little soft,and the blackbird being the best.

the A700,Grip and 70-200+T/C weighs quite a bit....might have been better if i had taken my monopod :bonk: :LOL:

So you're liking your new toy then. :D

Yeah, I agree the photos are a little soft, but that's what sharpening is for. In any case, they're still ten times better than any of the sorry bird shots I've attempted to take. Tripod, 300mm f2.8 and 2XTC is the way to go. ;)

Im a fan now on Facebook (y)

Nice one matey, I'll be adding more photos as soon as, I don't really want to put the same ones on there that I already have on my main Clikpic site though. So seeing as I have put what I think are my 'best ones' on the main site I need to get out and take some more shots that I can entice people with on the facebook pages. (y)

Just received my A300 from Pixmania, Woo!
But the charger plug is a US/Europe style 2 pin plug with a UK plug adapter, is it safe voltage wise to just plug this into a UK wall socket?

Yes, that won't be a problem. No different to the adapters you buy to take on holiday. (y)

So you're liking your new toy then. :D

Yeah, I agree the photos are a little soft, but that's what sharpening is for. In any case, they're still ten times better than any of the sorry bird shots I've attempted to take. Tripod, 300mm f2.8 and 2XTC is the way to go. ;)

love the new toy...just need to get the best out of it now marc ;)

i've not done much bird togging,but hopefully i will improve with age..like a good wine :LOL:

they had the 300 F/2.8 G lens in that togging convention last weekend :love: :love:but there's no way i can justify forking out 5K on one as an amateur tog,plus SWMBO says "NO"!!!!!!! :shake:

Hello all :wave:

sorry, I haven't read the last 38 pages to check this question hasn't been asked before, :D I was wondering how many photos I can take using an 8MB memory card? I've no idea. :thinking:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back