Calling all Sony Alpha users! (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think that Leica made an AF lens so I doubt it - I'm pretty sure that it's an all Minolta design (in fact an update on a manual focus Rokkor).
Anyway, apparently London Camera Exchange in their Strand branch had a beercan for £79 today so if someone is quick it may still be there.

I don't think that Leica made an AF lens so I doubt it - I'm pretty sure that it's an all Minolta design (in fact an update on a manual focus Rokkor).
Anyway, apparently London Camera Exchange in their Strand branch had a beercan for £79 today so if someone is quick it may still be there.

If you google, 'beercan leica design' you'll get a number of discussions about the Leica/Minolta partnership (or not!)

I found these (search for Leica):
http://www.dyxum.com/reviews/lenses/reviews.asp?IDLens=48
http://photo.net/sony-minolta-slr-system-forum/00GhCG
http://reviews.ebay.com/Maxxum-70-2...0000751723?ssPageName=BUYGD:CAT:-1:LISTINGS:4
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1000&message=20332092

I think it's best I retract my statement about the 'Beercan' being a Leica design and it appears it's not exactly clear cut. It's 'my bad' and I should never believe anything that I read on the net ;)

Does any one here use a Kenko Teleplus MC DG 1.5 on their Sony ?

http://www.warehouseexpress.com/product/default.aspx?sku=1011643

I was thinking of getting one soon and wondered if anyone had used them and what they thought of it.

I noticed it has DG in the title, on a Sigma this would mean it was designed for a crop sensor camera. Is it the same for this ?
The main lens I would be using it with was designed for full frame film cameras and I want to be sure they will work together.

I noticed it has DG in the title, on a Sigma this would mean it was designed for a crop sensor camera. Is it the same for this ?
The main lens I would be using it with was designed for full frame film cameras and I want to be sure they will work together.

DG (In Sigma terms) means that the lens is designed for digital cameras, it's DC that means for crop sensors.

I'll be happy when I get my 24-70 f2.8 EX BACK off Sigma. :(

Dont scare me :LOL: I saved myself about £110 buying this lens over the Tamron so quite a saving just hope it dont brake haha now off to ebay to buy cokin holder and a ND filter :D

Just got my Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 II EX DG APO Macro HSM this morning, roll on the weekend (please no rain!!!)

well, rumour is that the Super Tele that they've been showing is a 500/f4.5.
& I'm very impressed with my 70-400 G SSM - pretty certain that it's best in class against the Canon 100-400 & Nikon 80-400 (it certainly ought to be seeing as it's the newest design by a stretch ).

well, rumour is that the Super Tele that they've been showing is a 500/f4.5.
& I'm very impressed with my 70-400 G SSM - pretty certain that it's best in class against the Canon 100-400 & Nikon 80-400 (it certainly ought to be seeing as it's the newest design by a stretch ).

with the 300 F/2.8 at 4.5K,how much will the 500 F/4.5 cost :eek: not cheap i bet :shake:

I wonder if anyone could help please? I have a Sony A300 and I am having trouble using the live view (the reason I bought it!) due to LCD glare. Does anyone know of any film that would reduce the glare, or any other way around it please.
Thank you

I wonder if anyone could help please? I have a Sony A300 and I am having trouble using the live view (the reason I bought it!) due to LCD glare. Does anyone know of any film that would reduce the glare, or any other way around it please.
Thank you

Do you ware glasses? maybe get them coated in an anti glare.
I have them for driving at night and they work quite well.

with the 300 F/2.8 at 4.5K,how much will the 500 F/4.5 cost :eek: not cheap i bet :shake:
nothing like that is cheap from Canon, Nikon etc. etc.
On 1 hand they won't be paying KM to build it as they reportedly are for the 300mm f2.8 but on the other hand the development costs are going to be those of a brand new lens (the Canon was developed years ago) so it would be expected to be more expensive than an older design.

Do you ware glasses? maybe get them coated in an anti glare.
I have them for driving at night and they work quite well.

Thank you for the suggestion. I do wear glasses for reading and I thought they were coated, but maybe they aren't! Mind you I was thinking of a hopefully cheaper solution!!

Just looking at the sony 18-250mm f3.5 - 6.5, does anybody have this lens and what do they think.

Just looking at the sony 18-250mm f3.5 - 6.5, does anybody have this lens and what do they think.

I've never used one but I believe the general consensus is that it covers a very useful range but does nothing particularly well.

If you are looking at purchasing one as a jack of all trades but not expecting exacting sharpness or low light performance then you can't go wrong but if it's quality you're looking for then you may be disappointed.

it's supposed to be a very good walkabout lens (as good as any available for any mount) & better than the Tamron that it's based on.

I have heard that the 18-250 is supposed to be sharper than the 18-200 - even though it has a longer range.

may as well use a pringle tube than the reflex lens..it's supposed to be pretty poor :thumbsdown:.i may get the 70-400 IF a little luck heads my way....:naughty:

Welllllll....as we're on the subject of glassware...

Here's a snap (as taken) from today with the Alpha 300 and the Tamron 18-250

3383180362_e0f3f2505c.jpg

and here's another (as taken) with my Pringles Tube 500 f8

3382484129_b3b8329917.jpg

OK, almost as taken...the files are in RAW :)...

Welllllll....as we're on the subject of glassware...

Here's a snap (as taken) from today with the Alpha 300 and the Tamron 18-250

The giraffe looks good to me! What is your opinion on the Tamron 18-250, as it is one on my short list, together with the Tamron 28-300 and the Sigma 70-300
Mind you I have been deliberating for a couple of months now and still unsure which way to jump, in spite of the helpful comments from others with the Tamron lenses! I think I am just going to have to make a decision and stick with it!

trisha...no image there that was taken with your 500 F/8 reflex lens....:shrug:

Done...stupidly changed the view status on Flickr...:nono:

thanks trisha....image seems pretty good (y)

my biggest gripe would be shooting in poor light with the widest aperture being F8...

Thanks Stan. Agreed, but for portability it's cool:)

....with doughnuts: and I haven't quite got my head around why some photos are riddled with them, and some are just class (IMHO)

....with doughnuts: and I haven't quite got my head around why some photos are riddled with them, and some are just class (IMHO)

The CZ2470 also seems to suffer from poor bokeh wide open, but mostly in high contrast situations.

Obviously very different lenses, but wondered whether high contrast bokeh brings out the 'doughnuts' on the mirror?

No idea on that one...will pay more attention when I next use it. Thanks.

HAvent posted in a while :D

I took a pile of pictures at my cousins christening on the weekend which can be found here http://enraged-baboon.com/v/AvasChristening/

During the day I really noticed how poor the Kit lens compared to the 50mm minolta 1.7 lens.

WOndering what would be a good Upgrade to the kit lens to give me quality closer to the minolta?

the sigma 24-70 F/2.8 or tamron 17-50 F/2.8 would be my weapons of choice (y)

the sigma 24-70 F/2.8 or tamron 17-50 F/2.8 would be my weapons of choice (y)

The minolta 50mm f1.7 showed me what my A100 was capable of too, got the sigma 24-70 F2.8 and never looked back, had to develop my muscles though as adds to the weight! Its never ending, then wasn't happy at the longer end of the scale so got the 70-200 f2.8 if sigma ever bring out a 150-500 f2.8 that I think is available in the nikon/canon but not sony mount then I seriously might think of "giving up" a kidney.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back