Calling all Sony Alpha users! (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.
........so,who wants some sony gear..:D

I think you'd be :wacky: to sell that lens collection for just a D700 and two pieces of glass (bagsy the 70-400mm if you do). You'd be better off selling one A700 and the APS-C lenses to get a A850 and a Tamron 28-75. I find the noise from the A850 about a stop better than the A700. Just how high an ISO value do you intend to use?

Anyone got any opinions on the A450?

Thinking of upgrading my body......want better ISO quality and live view

Anyone got any opinions on the A450?

Thinking of upgrading my body......want better ISO quality and live view

People same that A450 is about the same as A550...
I am an A550 user. and thinks that the A550 is very good at ISOs...
Just the settings need to either click the menu or Fn buttons..
Where I like it to have more buttons :p

Hmmmm I was looking for live view so may skip past the 450 and go to the 500..

Just gotta find it in stock now!!

There is a Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 boxed for Sony/Minolta Mount for 249 pounds.
Anyone interested can go to LCEManchester.
As I have the Sony 11-18mm so no money to change to this lens.

:help:lost the plot :wacky:

Sigma 17-70 F2.8-4.5
These are somewhat hard to get nowadays, but after a little search, ordered one today :naughty:

I have Sony A550 kit set and minolta 24-85mm new version, if someone after them
see the sale section for listing too. :p

Anyone selling a Sony A850 or A900 while you lot are at it - let me know, as I want to get another :D:LOL:

Decided to move on all my Nikon stuff, so am going to replace my D700 (which is just not getting used) with another FF Sony body.

I am thinking of investing in a fast lens for portraits, and I know that the new Sony 1.8 can be had for silly money, but how do you experts (and there is no sarcasm there, because you lot have been using digital longer than me) rate the old Minolta 1.4 and 1.7 fifties?
I usually use my Tamron 70 -300 wide open, standing well away from the subject, but I could use a different approach when space dictates, or when I want to take a group shot/family portrait.

Andy

P.S. Hasn't the light been absolutely rubbish for the last month, or is it just me? Every single image I have taken of a Robin/Redwing/Blackbird/Wren, has been the "pits" - dull, dull, dull, and no chance of rescuing afterwards.

Anyone selling a Sony A850 or A900 while you lot are at it - let me know, as I want to get another :D:LOL:

Decided to move on all my Nikon stuff, so am going to replace my D700 (which is just not getting used) with another FF Sony body.

How would you compare the quality of pictures of the D700 and A900/A850?
How about the handling and features?!

How would you compare the quality of pictures of the D700 and A900/A850?
How about the handling and features?!

Well the D700 has more features - its much better for manual focus lenses (all lenes meter in "A" mode) etc, autofocus is better. Probably the biggest difference.

For low ISO work, the A900 is better, much more detail for landscape work.
High ISO the D700 is a clear leader from ISO1600 upwards. Below ISO1600 the A900 is actually pretty much level, A900 has more detail, but also more per-pixel noise.

Lens wise, the CZ 24-70 is easily as good as the Nikon 24-70 f/2.8, the CZ 16-35 is not quite as good as the Nikkor 17-35, but still good.

As I shoot mostly low ISO, for me the A900 is a better camera - lovely handling, super viewfinder etc.

If I did weddings, event or people and all that horrible sort of stuff, then a D700 would be a better choice.

So its not a case of "better" per se as each camera has its strengths and weaknesses.

i've been thinking about my move to the dark side quite a lot lately,and it looks like i'll be staying with sony for the foreseeable future..which is no bad thing.it was the thought of selling all my gear which includes some very nice glass,and ending up with just a D700 and 24-70[or whatever i could get for approx £1500]for goodness how long.hopefully,sony will get their act together and sort out an A700 replacement with better high ISO performance/better AF,which was the main reason for my wanting the D700 in the first place.

Is the A900 no better then?

as andy[puddleduck]says,the A900 is better at low ISO's up to 1600,then the D700 leaves it standing,but the A900 retains more detail at low ISO's which is good for landscape work.although i do a fair amount of landscape work,i imagine i do more wildlife,street/people,sport photography.but i may find i'll miss the reach that the 1.5x crop sensor gives me with my 70-200 and 70-400.

hopefully,the A700 replacement will give better high ISO and AF performance...

I feel your pain stan. If I were to switch, I would still need two bodies, I would probably go for a D700 & D300s. Best of both worlds.

in an ideal world marc,that would be a perfect combination..coupled with a 16-35,24-70,105 macro,70-200,300,400,500 and 600 primes..:LOL:

jackie better hurry up with that lottery win :rules: :D

I'd be happy with just the first 4 of those. ;)

hopefully,the A700 replacement will give better high ISO and AF performance...

had a chat with Paul Genge last night at the Edinburgh Uni photosoc/Sony evening - he wasn't giving away too much but there will be an "A700 replacement" albeit not as soon as we would want & from what little he was saying I wouldn't expect it to be as far up the APS-C scale as e.g a Canon 7D.
Apparently there is also a new/better AF module coming late this year but I don't know if that will make the "A700 replacement".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back