Calling all Sony Alpha users! (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.
They say 24 hrs here too, I go down late afternoon and it's normally there.

Sorry, a bit
Off%20Topic.gif

BTW anyone know why there isn't an "I love sony smiley"?

They say 24 hrs here too, I go down late afternoon and it's normally there.

Sorry, a bit
Off%20Topic.gif

BTW anyone know why there isn't an "I love sony smiley"?

[S4]I LOVE SONY[/S4]

Just use the S4 tags. ;)

I've been watching the way the Alpha series has developed over the last year or so with interest - there now seems to be far too many bodies to choose from! My main issue with giving the Sony stuff a try though, is the apparent lack of stock of quality lenses.

For example, if you were to get an A850 or 900, then it would seem logical to pair it with some quality glass like the 24-70 and 85mm f/1.4 - are there any places which regularly have decent stock and reasonable prices?

I've been watching the way the Alpha series has developed over the last year or so with interest - there now seems to be far too many bodies to choose from! My main issue with giving the Sony stuff a try though, is the apparent lack of stock of quality lenses.

For example, if you were to get an A850 or 900, then it would seem logical to pair it with some quality glass like the 24-70 and 85mm f/1.4 - are there any places which regularly have decent stock and reasonable prices?

LCE had good stock of the 24-70, at least they did when I got mine from there.

Warehouseexpress, RGB, Jacobs etc.
Strangely enough Jessops have been quite competitive of late too.

The 24-70 ZA is similarly priced to the Nikon but both are dearer than the Canon - both better as well though.

& of course they are stabilised on an Alpha which isn't an option on Canon or Nikon.

I now have the 16-105! First impressions are good. It feels solid and the auto focus isn't like a pepper mill (Tamron 18-200 has a very grindy feel when you manual focus it) and it is very quick! I wasn't expecting it to focus faster than my 18-70 stock lens, but it does, so I'm happy about that. I think the range of this lens is great as well. 16mm is more than wide enough for pretty much everything and the 105mm is just right for a walkabout lens. I've not taken many pictures with it so far as the weather is absolutely horrible. Will have to test it out properly another day :)

Only problems are that the zoom is a bit stiff. Hopefully it'll get smoother over time, and the lens is quite a bit bigger/heavier than my lens that's usually on the camera all the time (28mm Prime) so that feels a little bit odd.

Love it, but will have to reserve proper judgement until I can test it out properly :)

Was in Jessops, trying to find a bargain.

A700 is currently sitting at £300 brand new if you can find one!

The grip is sitting at, wait for it, £16.90! Yes sixteen pounds ninety pence!

Unfortunately there is none of either in Northern Ireland, if you can find any go for it, and if you can find more than one grip I want it!

Was in Jessops, trying to find a bargain.

A700 is currently sitting at £300 brand new if you can find one!

The grip is sitting at, wait for it, £16.90! Yes sixteen pounds ninety pence!

Unfortunately there is none of either in Northern Ireland, if you can find any go for it, and if you can find more than one grip I want it!

If anyone can one , I want it though.:p

There won't be any in my area, I can guarantee that :p Might phone up tomorrow though. I may have sold my A700, but if I can get another one for 300 quid I DEFINITELY will!

There won't be any in my area, I can guarantee that :p Might phone up tomorrow though. I may have sold my A700, but if I can get another one for 300 quid I DEFINITELY will!

Is there any way to search for A700 stock in jessops?

I think only way mate, is to go in store ask as them to check.

Might as well ask them tomorrow as going to city centre..
But then I think I asked before and they said no stock...dont know if its only in Manchester or everywhere in the UK

Kevin

Get them too look!! And get me grip!!

Well i will look at both of them
A700 and the grip.
If you dont mind PM me your number I can send u sms..
Faster way for me to post it out in here..
If you have blackberry can chat in BBM as well

So A700 is doing 300 pounds and Grip for 16.9 pounds right?

Kevin

Anyone own the 70-400mm SSM?
Want to see the quality of the picture..
Although no way I can afford one yet...

Thanks
Kevin

I want a grip for that price! If anyone sees one as Im at work tomorrow let me know! If your also kind enough to and can pick me one up and deliver it PM me and I'll drop you a BT plus some beer money! Either way would be great! :D

Visited the Merry Hill branch today and was informed that they have sold out nationwide as the clearance started on Monday.:crying:

Just check that from Manchester Jessops store that A700 and the grip has none stock everywhere in the UK.

Wow the sigma 10-20mm is doing at this price, very very surprise if I am able to get one.
As I just got my 11-18mm Sony when I went to jessops to pick it up. T.T

yeah,i already have the 11-18,but for £149..i'd have the 10-20 as well :naughty:

Yep that's true.
I would have bought both of them together :p
Well does anyone why only Sony mount/Sony lenses always have so that much discount? But then its only for Jessops..Doesn't apply to jacobs digitial or other camera shop

By the way, Jacobs Digital Manchester has A850 + Sony 28-75 Bundle in stock..

Any good deals around at the moment for a high quality zoom in the standard range?

I don't need very wide or very long as I already have those covered.

Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 would be perfect for what I'm after, but I'd rather stick to around 150 pounds. Used in good condition is fine (y)

Thank you both for your replies. I'll do some further investigations into the Sigma. Suppose the extended warranty helps too. (y)

I'm still trying to decide what to do after all this time. Works been killing me off so I haven't really had the time to delve into this as much as I would have liked to.

So I'm still torn between the Sigma and Tamron 70-200mm. As I've stated before, my budget won't stretch to the Sony :crying:

So has anyone purchased any of these lenses recently for use on an A200? I've read reviews on Dyxum and although the Sigma is faster focussing, the Tamron seems to have better quality albeit slower focussing. I've seen videos on Youtube as well.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Hi all
Is there any way to reduce the red eye when using the onboard flash, its a a300 is there any kind of defuser available ?

Billybob
Warehouse express site seems to be down

Ki_use That first one is funky, I like that.

yep,i also have the 70-400 G SSM....and although i've not used it much in this horrible weather,here's a shot i took with it just recently..

gnollrobin.jpg

How would you compare the quality of 70-300mm SSM one which is only cost around 450 pounds...and 70-400mm is 2 times more expensive.?

Kevin

Yep that's true.
I would have bought both of them together :p
Well does anyone why only Sony mount/Sony lenses always have so that much discount? But then its only for Jessops..Doesn't apply to jacobs digitial or other camera shop

By the way, Jacobs Digital Manchester has A850 + Sony 28-75 Bundle in stock..

There does seem to be less and less Sony stuff in Jessops just now, maybe Sony are refusing to play ball on credit for supplies or something,

How would you compare the quality of 70-300mm SSM one which is only cost around 450 pounds...and 70-400mm is 2 times more expensive.?

Kevin

the 70-400 is generally reckoned to be a bit sharper & it's quicker aperture-wise across the range.
it's quite a bit bigger /heavier than the 70-300 G & you wouldn't expect them to sell as many 400s as 300s so won't get the same volume of scale savings hence why it's a lot dearer.

the 70-400 is generally reckoned to be a bit sharper & it's quicker aperture-wise across the range.
it's quite a bit bigger /heavier than the 70-300 G & you wouldn't expect them to sell as many 400s as 300s so won't get the same volume of scale savings hence why it's a lot dearer.

Cause currently I am thinking which one to get later on.
As think of a few lenses
Sigma 70-20mm F2.8
Sony 70-300mm
Sony 70-400mm

Dont think I could afford the 70-400mm but then camerabox is selling for less than 1K so dont know yet..

But currently I have the 70-210mm Minolta Beercan to use ***...

Cause currently I am thinking which one to get later on.
As think of a few lenses
Sigma 70-20mm F2.8
Sony 70-300mm
Sony 70-400mm
Although I've thought about it I haven't bought a 70-200/2.8 because with the 70-400 I'm only 1 stop down (same as with your beercan & tbh it's not really a focal length that I need - I'm either long tele or Macro).

guys could I just ask a quick question

On my A200, what is the best setting to have the Dynamic Range Optimizer on? Just normal or I think there is a setting that is next one up the + or enhanced setting?

What I did with mine is set it up on a tripod and took identical photos using each setting to see which I preferred for different pictures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back