Calling all Sony Alpha users! (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought some of these from evilbay, although from a different dealer...stated they were Sony fit and came marked as the CTR-301 P but they were Canon/Nikon fit - had to complain to evilbay to get my cash back.

May be a stock photo on that link, but the pic is not Sony fit....better to double check if you are thinking of buying.

In the end I went for the Pawn system...can't fault it up to now.

link

pixel - are good as well. but what I like about those yongnuo is that they have sony dslr fit transmitter and normal Nikon / canon receiver and that the built quality is good.

Out of touch here but is anyone looking forward to the SLT cameras? They look really interesting, not sure if the A55 will be better than the A700 image wise but its certainly got some features I like including the 100% with changes you can see as you make them. Not having 100% viewfinder really annoys me when I'm trying to frame a landscape and then I check the images and a tree branch has made its way in....and unfortunately I cant afford an A900 and the glass to go with it.

I'm also thinking no mirror is going to produce sharper images than obviously using the A700 in the same manner without MLU.

Not too fussed about geotagging and all that.

Unfortunately I have read reports of noise in low light and its not great at not blowing high lights.

Looks bloody good value for money, I just hope it may be a viable A700 replacement - if not I'll have to wait for the prosumer version which hopefully comes along later at circa 1k I'd guess?

On the back of this post:

I'm using a A200 right now and I've been made redundant so its the one and only time I've got the cash to upgrade. I'm torn and have no idea how to make my mind up given my choices!!! I thought about the A550 but I was put off this by the guys in the London Camera Exchange. They said hold out till Sept and see whats coming, but then they said I could start over with a Nikon D90 but I didn't like that, too light in my hand and then they said the 50D would be a decent upgrade too.
Should I hold out for a A55 or is it not what its cracked up to be. So many mixed reviews....aaaaaaaaaaargh!

Any advice greatly received.
Thanks.

they are there to sell you stuff.

invest in lens, as a200 is more than good enough camera, I only wish it had 2 scrolls, but I think none of the canon's do. only pro-am nikons and sony's . If you don't use anything above iso400 no need to upgrade. only upgrade worth while is to full frame.

well, a55, a33 is good because it's small and you might benefit from video. but you have to decide if it's worth the extra money.

oh ffs...
just when I think I'm happy and locked into a system (Nikon), Sony go a ready the release of a dSLT by the name of a55. I am so friggen tempted by it...I had my heart set on a D90 but then I looked on jessops this morning and they are taking preorders of the a55 for £750...well if I sold of my Nikon gear I'd have £850 so thats an a55 and an extra lens :(

every time I see your siggy - I laugh ! :LOL:

p.s. the a33 is basically the same camera just without a GPS and stuff like that :wacky:

every time I see your siggy - I laugh ! :LOL:

p.s. the a33 is basically the same camera just without a GPS and stuff like that :wacky:

well..yea I guess, 7fps vs 10 (I don't even use 3 on my D40 :bonk:), 16 vs 14 mpx (who cares) but the one thing...oh wait..I read one review that made out like the a33 didn't have a CMOS sensor..seems it does.
owwww what do I do? sell up all the Nikon stuff or stick with it?
(wrong thread to be asking eh ;))

well - do as you wish. please your heart and mind ! :) why not try sony. some day I'll try canon and get some nikon slr's who cares . just buy, if you don't like it - sell . but at least you have tried it and know what you prefer.

well - do as you wish. please your heart and mind ! :) why not try sony. some day I'll try canon and get some nikon slr's who cares . just buy, if you don't like it - sell . but at least you have tried it and know what you prefer.

well I had an a200 and liked it muchly, then a Canon 40D and was less impressed, currently a Nikon D40 which has really been floating my boat but then I tried a D90 in jessops and was positively blown away. I guess I'm just like oh wow new thing looks awsome must have :shrug:

GAS - can't cure it easily, I know how you feel ! :) I spent a lot of money on film cameras this week. It's even hard to remember what I've bought, but at that moment I thought - OH ! I must win this one !!!! :LOL:

so just try it out if the spending won't bite your leg off.

GAS - can't cure it easily, I know how you feel ! :) I spent a lot of money on film cameras this week. It's even hard to remember what I've bought, but at that moment I thought - OH ! I must win this one !!!! :LOL:

so just try it out if the spending won't bite your leg off.

would the 70-300 be a good replacement for my 75-300 basic sony lens ?

i'm tempted to flog the sigma 105mm 2.8 macro and the 75-300 to fund one of those :)

*edit, scrap that there isnt any stock near me.

Last edited:
so you got the siggy in the end . is it good ?

the sony 70-300mm is good no doubt, but still expensive comparing to nikon.

so you got the siggy in the end . is it good ?

i wil let you know soon, its sat at the post office as i was at work today and didn't get home in time to collect it :(

maybe if i wasn't camping out for a harrier to come in for another hover i would have made it back.. flippin harrier never came back either..

Last edited:
me 2 :)

actually i am going to see where works sending me tomorrow and see if i can divert to a store with the 70-300 g lens in stock and hide it from the wife :D

sods law im staying local now or going to areas without the lens lol

I bet the a290 is awkward to hold, the same with the a230. a200 is much better although it's supposed to be old now :wacky:

Im looking into getting an SLR soon, and i was just wondering what the Sony a290 is like, mostly im comparrison to the Nikon D3000 and the Cannon EOS 1000D.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dean.

Well, the far superior A450 is still a bargain at Comet - £329, which is cheaper than the A290 by £20.

I bet the a290 is awkward to hold, the same with the a230. a200 is much better although it's supposed to be old now :wacky:

It's not, the AX90 series have a traditional deep grip, which is much better than the A2/3-30/80 series. In my experience I find the thumb rest/grip on the newer camera a lot more secure, because it's deeper and the rubber grip pads makes it comfortable to hold against. The A230 grip would have worked better with a lighter camera- Olympus E410/420 anyone?-the body is 20% lighter than the Sony and the four third lenses will inevitably be smaller and lighter to any comparable APS-C lens.

The only thing I have against the AX90 cams is that Sony manage to make the button layout very cramp on the back even though the overall dimension is roughly the same as the A200. Of course the lack of buttons on the top panel and the compact camera 4 way navigation control for ISO, flash etc is deliberate as the target market is compact camera upgraders, who will feel more at home with the interface on their first slr.

the sony 70-300mm is good no doubt, but still expensive comparing to nikon.

is this going to be a good buy for my a450 against the cheap as chips 75-300 sony i already have ?

reason i ask is i can add 80 miles to my trip tomorrow and swing from kings lynn to norwich and get one.

posted a few shots (finally) in the portrait session... first real attempts with my sony a850 and the minolta 85mm f1.4 and tokina 28-70mm f2.8.

go forth and multiply! i.e. let me know what you think!

it looks like i may have reserved the remaining few in the country. oh well i will have 2 that have to be picked up by saturday if anyone wants one, Milton keynes or Leeds. the closest port of call todays going to be norwich by the looks of things so im heading out there.

the sigma 105mm is now in my hands, i will try and grab some pics later, then its up for sale as i collected the 70-300 and love it :D

if anyone wants a 70-300 sony G then theres 1 left at milton keynes as the norwich was a display model so i drove up to leeds to fetch it.

Anyone any recommendations for a budget used zoom going up to 300mm?

There are a few on that well known auction site, Minolta, Sigma etc.

I've checked Dyxum and they seem to favour the Sigma APO (the one which doesn't strip gears) or Minolta's own.

Any strong views?

cheap is still going to be cheap. I used to have tammy 70-300 but sold it. wasn't bad but only somewhat usable at f8 . better bet is to get the old 100-200mm minolta or something.

Anyone any recommendations for a budget used zoom going up to 300mm?

There are a few on that well known auction site, Minolta, Sigma etc.

I've checked Dyxum and they seem to favour the Sigma APO (the one which doesn't strip gears) or Minolta's own.

Any strong views?

i brought one last month for £100, was new unboxed at the time and arrived mint, its the sony 75-300 if your interested ?

its in the for sale section.

4976982758_14358bb112_b.jpg

100% crop f8 iso400
4976983204_dd4399f366_b.jpg

@200mm iso 400 f6.3 1/320
super rare spanish airport grey fighter sparrow
4976371023_07b5fa258c_b.jpg

@ 300mm f8 iso400

basically all of the new 3rd part 70-300mm are crap at 300mm

Last edited:
I'm just about to view a Minolta 400mm "G" (the one on Dyxum)....I've always fancied a 400mm prime.. the Nikon versions are excellent but £5k...

Will report back if I buy it... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back