Calling all Sony Alpha users!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi fellow Alpha users!

Haven't spent much time here lately.
Time just seems so scarce these days......

Recently had a week in beautiful Majorca, and just before I left I got my new lens, the Tamron AF17-50mm F/2.8 Di-II LD Aspherical
and WOW
What a stunning lens (and incidentally, Rusty who I bought it from is a true 100% awesome guy!!!)

Gave this lens a good work out on holiday, and I seriously love it to bits.
I often in the back of my mind wondered if this F2.8 larky was all it's cracked up to be-is there really any difference in a 'standard' lens and a 2.8.
And now I know the answer is deffo YES!!!!!
It's a whole lot more versatile having a 2.8 and the wide aperture does come in very handy at times.

Only problem is, now I want a 200mm F2.8

Also bought from Rusty a HVL-F36AM flash.
Again, WOW!!!!!!!
The wireless mode on this flash is something else!!!

Next on my list is a set of extension tubes for closer shots with the Tammy.
It actually takes a pretty decent macro, but (if extension tubes auto focus with this setup???????) a set of tubes are cheaper than a macro lens!!

So if the answer is yes, they will AF, then I'd be grateful if anyone hears of a set could let me know?

Here's a few samples of my holiday 'snaps'!!!!!

mantis1.jpg

sunrise2.jpg

rays1.jpg

Picture083.jpg

rubysand1.jpg

football1.jpg

And here's me (making a silly face, as I always do in pics lol!!!) and my baby.

rubyandme1.jpg

hi andy...i have a set of kenko extension tubes which i've only used once or twice so far,so i can't remember if they AF,but will check when i have a moment and let you know (y)

nice shots by the way ;)

andy...just went and tried it,and yes...AF does work with the kenko extension tubes(y).this is a shot i took with THE full set of tubes coupled to my 50mm F/1.7 ....this is as shot,and no cropping has taken place...

DSC01358_filtered.jpg

get your wallet open andy :LOL:

:eek:

Yikes. That is incredibly close!!!

Thanks mukka, that's a great help.
Just gotta find a set now :thinking:

A good addition to the kit lens, since having one of these, I only ever use the kit lens when I need to go as wide as possible.

Check out the Dyxum score, it is a seriously good lens for the money. I have a couple of pics on my Flickr taken with one. I am actually go to try it at the kids football this morning.

I paid £16 for my first copy, which I broke with too much cleaning and £22 for my second copy.
Here is why I like this lens. Taken at 105mm distance to picture about 50 metres. Then a crop of the centre.

Here is why I like this lens. Taken at 105mm distance to picture about 50 metres. Then a crop of the centre.

Hey Leaky, how does the 35-105 perform in the macro area?

There's one going for a 'not too bad' price in a shop near me!!

Hey Leaky, how does the 35-105 perform in the macro area?

There's one going for a 'not too bad' price in a shop near me!!

its not too bad Andy, this was taken yesterday on the 35-105 in macro mode:
1223716737.jpg

(I didn't want to get closer because I hate spiders :runaway:)

its manual focus in macro though

its not too bad Andy, this was taken yesterday on the 35-105 in macro mode:
1223716737.jpg

(I didn't want to get closer because I hate spiders :runaway:)

its manual focus in macro though

Manual focus?
Bugger :razz:

Thanks loads for posting the shot. If you can tolerate manual focus, then it looks like a cracker of a lens!

:LOL: Who are all these Ready Brek kids?

The chap in the red shirt is one of our team, but I did promise the parents I would not publish any photos of the kids without asking. Bearing in mind this was
1/ A home game.
2/ This had not been mentioned before in 6 or 7 games.
3/ The league does not mention it in their rules and they have a lot of them !!!
I completely removed the opposition because of this conversation between Mum A (our team) and mum B (the opposition)
Mum B comes over from the far touch line and says to mum A "Who is that taking photos from the goal line ?".
Mum A Replies " Just one of the Dad's, he always does it".
Mum B " He is supposed to ask all our parents if we allow photography"
Mum A " Do they mind ?"
Mum B ( who has just walked all the way round the pitch ) " I don't know you will have to go and ask them"
So Mum A walks around and asks all the parents if they mind and they all look bemused and say it is fine.

Our coach (who was actually on an FA course yesterday and doing a child protection module ) said that the FA guide lines are that 'It is polite to ask the other team manager, unless there are specific rules about it'.

So I suppose I had better be polite in future :razz:

I'm sure the fatter blob on the left used to play for us a few years ago
:shrug::shrug::shrug:

Few Sony fit things over on AVforums for sale inc 50mm 1.7 Minolta , be quick ( not mine ) .

I just don't understand it...

I am registered with a few photographic sites, and whenever a "newbie" comes onboard saying that they are looking for their first DSLR and are seriously considering the Alpha range of cameras, you inevitably end up with owners of other makes (mainly Canon and Nikon) climbing onboard trying to talk them out of buying Sony with the lack of lenses being cited as the main reason.
Invariably you will get the Sony users come back at them mentioning the fact that older Minolta lenses will fit, but still the same people forget this and continue posting against Sony at the very next opportunity!!

I'm not a Sony "fanboy"...far from it.
But I don't muscle in on a newbies thread asking for information on the Canon/Nikon entry level products and try to put them off, so why does it nearly always happen the other way around?
I'm not talking about the general advice of "go feel them in your hands, see what fits best" type of post....this is good advice.
It's the blatant "anti Sony" ones that annoy.

I just don't understand it...

I am registered with a few photographic sites, and whenever a "newbie" comes onboard saying that they are looking for their first DSLR and are seriously considering the Alpha range of cameras, you inevitably end up with owners of other makes (mainly Canon and Nikon) climbing onboard trying to talk them out of buying Sony with the lack of lenses being cited as the main reason.
Invariably you will get the Sony users come back at them mentioning the fact that older Minolta lenses will fit, but still the same people forget this and continue posting against Sony at the very next opportunity!!

I'm not a Sony "fanboy"...far from it.
But I don't muscle in on a newbies thread asking for information on the Canon/Nikon entry level products and try to put them off, so why does it nearly always happen the other way around?
I'm not talking about the general advice of "go feel them in your hands, see what fits best" type of post....this is good advice.
It's the blatant "anti Sony" ones that annoy.

:wave:
Ow do matey?
It annoys the hell outta me too.
When I sold my Canon gear (sold it because no matter what I did/what lens I used, pics were always crap), a 'work mate' (not a mate at all, just some pratt at work who thinks he know's everything!!!!) really tore into me. He is of course a Nikon man..........
He really ran me down for buying a Sony.

A) He seriously is a complete knob.
B) He uses a D80.
C) He says, Sony are complete rip off and con merchants :shrug:
D) He's never shown me any of his pictures. He's seen quite a few of mine, and he NEVER comments on them. Wonder why.......
E) He sold his Minolta gear when Sony bought them out, as Sony again are con merchants :bang:
F) Not sure of the relevance of my post, sorry!!!!!

But how can he say Sony are con merchants?
Do Canon and Nikon accidentally NOT put a IS built into their bodies?
Do they fcuk, it's so people go out and pay DOUBLE for VR and IS lenses.

There is one particular dude on another forum that does this. I imagine him foaming at the mouth when he posts his anti-sony rants. I think it is simply a case of the CaNikon brigade not wanting to "lose" a potential member to the other side and thus slightly diminish their cult. Some of them feel threatened I think.

Nothing beats the Sony A200 for under £300 imo, its such a brillo camera.
Yes I'm defecting (to probably Nikon now) but not because I think they are better cameras overall, its just the Sony's don't really fit my hands properly..which is a personal thing really.
Other than that, they not only compete but more often than not best the Canikons, especially on the price! A Sony A350 body only is just £350 from play.com and you get a hell of alot of camera for that. Sony money grabbing con merchants? hmmm ok lol

There is one particular dude on another forum that does this. I imagine him foaming at the mouth when he posts his anti-sony rants. I think it is simply a case of the CaNikon brigade not wanting to "lose" a potential member to the other side and thus slightly diminish their cult. Some of them feel threatened I think.

And so they should be.
If you ask me, Sony (for price, and get what you pay for factor as Timmy mentions) are a bit in front of the others.
You get allot more for your money with a Sony.

My old Canon shots straight out of the camera just don't compare to my a300.

Sony are a large multinational corporation who will use whatever methods they can legally to make as much money out of us punters as they possibly can.

So are Canon, Nikon et al!

Sony are a large multinational corporation who will use whatever methods they can legally to make as much money out of us punters as they possibly can.

So are Canon, Nikon et al!

i agree....(y)

same with everything really...bikes for example,you buy a motorbike for 10 grand,but if you bought all the component parts needed to build that same bike,it would cost you 4 times as much..fact!!

why...?

because they're all a bunch of robbing bastids,thats why :bang:

rant over:LOL:

i agree....(y)

same with everything really...bikes for example,you buy a motorbike for 10 grand,but if you bought all the component parts needed to build that same bike,it would cost you 4 times as much..fact!!

why...?

because they're all a bunch of robbing bastids,thats why :bang:

rant over:LOL:

Talking of Bikes, did you pick yours up yesterday and where are the piccies? :nuts:

:wave:

Think I know exactly who you mean. ;)

Very nice Stan, you and the missus coming up to London on it then? :naughty:

yep,sure did (y)

here's a couple of quick shots i took earlier today....it's an 11 yr old bike,but in great condition for it's age...

Lovely bike Stan, and ultra reliable.
I've had three of the buggers....the 750, an 800FiY and the VTEC.
Been a member of the VFR club for 6 years although I now have the ZZR.
If you fancy joining a group of like minded people and finding out all about the bike, give me a shout.
Also, if you want a Baglux cover and bag for it, I found a really cheap one on ebay whilst I was looking for a bag for my Kwak......

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HONDA-VFR750-TANK-COVER-AND-BAG-BAGLUX-COVER-VFR750_W0QQitemZ110298017086QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item110298017086&_trkparms=72%3A1346|39%3A1|66%3A2|65%3A12|240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

That will carry your camera gear mate
;););)

Finally got my Sigma 24-70 f2.8 this morning (at the 4th attempt!) and it is a big old beast! One thing I've noticed though is that the lens extends at the WIDE end and is shortest at the LONG end. Never seen this before. :thinking:

marc...nice one with the lens..bring it on thursday as well as the 2X,i'm thinking of getting one for my brothers wedding in a few weeks.

where from and how much? :naughty:

Of course I'll bring it Thursday. Gonna start charging for these trials though! :naughty:;) Reckon it would make a cracking lens for a wedding!(y)

I got it HERE. It was actually the best price if all so I'm pretty chuffed. They also do a 24-60 f2.8 which is £10 cheaper, but I've never seen it before so not sure how it compares.

hey marc..i called into microglobe on my last visit to the smoke,and picked up some hoya circ pol's.as i'll be there tomorrow lunchtime,and my wife will be having her treatment for a few hours..i may pop up there and get one if funds allow...:naughty:

Does she not read these forums then? :cautious::D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back