Calling all Sony Alpha users!

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have recently bought the battery grip for the 350,and i have the 2 batteries it requires for use,so my question is...

a/can i take one out once it's exhausted it's charge,so i can recharge it and then place back in the grip..

OR...

b/would i be better off getting another 2 batteries so i can replace them once the 2 batteries are exhausted.

I have the battery grip for the A700. When one of the batteries runs out, i take it out and put it on charge. I can still use the grip with just one battery in. Is this what you meant?

Guys, I'm going to sell my Sigma 50mm F2.8 DG Macro EX.
Will post a for sale ad and post link here when it's done.

I want to replace the kit lens, and going to have to sell the 50mm first :crying:

Hi Guys & Gals,

thanks for the welcome & the advice, amazed at the response in such a short space of time ;)

fabs...no, sorry, it was the 400mm I was referring to

smiffy - looks as though your Minolta 50mm f1.7 has quite a following, so if they are that cheap might just see if I can source one...or one of the Sigma 50mm f2.8 DG Macro EX's that are on offer...just to tide me over until I can afford the Hubble, anyone know if it uses a Sony mount? :LOL:

Thanks again guys, hopefully get a few pics on soon...

73's...Ken

andy..i thought you loved the 18-70 kit lens,so what's changed? :thinking:

and what are you replacing it with...17-70...18-50 :naughty:

Good questions mate ;)
The kit lens is good, I still maintain that.
I shall be keeping it for the wide angle, if nothing else.
Since I've been using the 50mm EX, the superb quality of the shots it produces has made me decide I want more!
I'll be looking at the 18-50mm F2.8 EX probably, or 17-70mm F2.8-4.5, depending on how much £££££ I can get up together!
Maybe even the Tamron 17-50mm F2.8 Di-II LD Aspherical.

I find myself using the 50mm more and more, again due to the quality.
But a fixed 50mm is a bit limiting, if you know what I mean??!!

Both are good lens, so I'm not really in a hurry to be honest.

I have had my Sonly Alpha 200 for about 3 months now and I love it.

Good questions mate ;)
The kit lens is good, I still maintain that.
I shall be keeping it for the wide angle, if nothing else.
Since I've been using the 50mm EX, the superb quality of the shots it produces has made me decide I want more!
I'll be looking at the 18-50mm F2.8 EX probably, or 17-70mm F2.8-4.5, depending on how much £££££ I can get up together!
Maybe even the Tamron 17-50mm F2.8 Di-II LD Aspherical.

I find myself using the 50mm more and more, again due to the quality.
But a fixed 50mm is a bit limiting, if you know what I mean??!!

Both are good lens, so I'm not really in a hurry to be honest.

i thought the kit lens was okay i suppose,but i wanted something a little faster.maybe i should have got the 18-50,but i felt i'd have a gap between the 50 and the 75.having said that,i'm really happy with the 17-70,especially as i mainly use it for landscape/candid/portrait shots where i'd use a bigger F stop anyway...

good luck with deciding..(y)

i thought the kit lens was okay i suppose,but i wanted something a little faster.maybe i should have got the 18-50,but i felt i'd have a gap between the 50 and the 75.having said that,i'm really happy with the 17-70,especially as i mainly use it for landscape/candid/portrait shots where i'd use a bigger F stop anyway...

good luck with deciding..(y)

Thanks mate.
The 17-70 isn't an EX am I right?
Not that I think it would make that much difference.
I've heard it's a pukka lens!

I've just had all my new gear insured on a 'semi pro' basis. New for old, liability insurance and also indemnity cover. For £282 and a few pence.

I have another wedding tomorrow and I don't fancy making a mess of it and getting my backside sued off - or indeed dropping the 200 G onto the floor.........or for that matter the 24-70 Zeiss either.

I've just had all my new gear insured on a 'semi pro' basis. New for old, liability insurance and also indemnity cover. For £282 and a few pence.

I have another wedding tomorrow and I don't fancy making a mess of it and getting my backside sued off - or indeed dropping the 200 G onto the floor.........or for that matter the 24-70 Zeiss either.

Forget all that insurance malarky, I'll look after it for ya! :naughty::nuts:

no mate,it isn't an EX lens...but it is a very good lens IMHO

i would love to have either the70-200 F2.8 G that JPS has just got,or the siggy 100-300 F4 EX IF DG,but i would need to sell my motorbike to fund it....decisions,decisions :thinking:

There is lots of good reviews about it.....

Mate, that is a bummer of a decision, and I wouldn't want to be in your shoes :eek: :crying:

There is lots of good reviews about it.....

Mate, that is a bummer of a decision, and I wouldn't want to be in your shoes :eek: :crying:

which one the sony "G" lens,or the siggy 100-300...:shrug:

love the biking,but with the credit crunch etc..insurance due in a month,road tax in a few weeks,tyres needed sooner...theres the sigma 100-300 in that little lot alone..plus i'll get 5-5.5K for my bike to spend on "other toys" i may or may not fancy...:naughty:

which one the sony "G" lens,or the siggy 100-300...:shrug:

love the biking,but with the credit crunch etc..insurance due in a month,road tax in a few weeks,tyres needed sooner...theres the sigma 100-300 in that little lot alone..plus i'll get 5-5.5K for my bike to spend on "other toys" i may or may not fancy...:naughty:

Either!!!!
Gotta be about the same price aren't they??

I know where you're coming from.....
I've always wanted a road bike :(
Used to do a bit of off-road when I was younger, but I seriously couldn't trust myself. I'd either lose my license, or kill myself within a week of getting on it :LOL:

Tough choice mate. But at least the 'getting some new camera toys' option is a little safer. Isn't it..... :shrug: :D

Either!!!!
Gotta be about the same price aren't they??

I know where you're coming from.....
I've always wanted a road bike :(
Used to do a bit of off-road when I was younger, but I seriously couldn't trust myself. I'd either lose my license, or kill myself within a week of getting on it :LOL:

Tough choice mate. But at least the 'getting some new camera toys' option is a little safer. Isn't it..... :shrug: :D

the sony is £1200,and the siggy is a mere £759...peanuts innit :LOL:

yeah,the roads are getting worse day by day,and it kinda gets you thinking about your own mortality..seen a mate have a quite serious accident,and lost another mate 2 years ago in a biking accident..i know they say you can get run over etc..but i also know it would please my missus if i gave it all up...but will i miss it..too late once the bike has gone..:crying:

the sony is £1200,and the siggy is a mere £759...peanuts innit :LOL:

yeah,the roads are getting worse day by day,and it kinda gets you thinking about your own mortality..seen a mate have a quite serious accident,and lost another mate 2 years ago in a biking accident..i know they say you can get run over etc..but i also know it would please my missus if i gave it all up...but will i miss it..too late once the bike has gone..:crying:

lol :LOL:

Hmmmmmm, a toughy indeed.
But at least you'd have something to show for it......

but i also know it would please my missus if i gave it all up...but will i miss it..too late once the bike has gone..:crying:

Why not sell the missus, get the lens & keep the bike :thinking:

r1.jpg

(taken a couple of years ago with my Sony F828)

73's.....Ken

Hi..the a300 does have live view.

I was worried when I first saw the reviews but having used it I am quite happy with the results.

Not long bought my first DSLR and went for the Sony A200, price was a very big factor, but have found it a great camera!!!

Looking forward to finding the right thing to photgraph and getting out there. Will post some stuff in the future and hope you guys will point me in the right direction?! :help:

Not long bought my first DSLR and went for the Sony A200, price was a very big factor, but have found it a great camera!!!

Looking forward to finding the right thing to photgraph and getting out there. Will post some stuff in the future and hope you guys will point me in the right direction?! :help:

Hiya mate :wave:
Congrats on your purchase!
You made a good choice. Sony's are taking over the world :D

Well, did my second wedding since getting my new gear the other week. Pity it rained during the church service, I had to do the photos in the church as no-one quite rightly wanted to stand out in all that rain and wind, myself included. This young lady asked if I could take a photo of her and her dad just as I was leaving for night.

DSC03818.jpg

I too was at a wedding yesterday.
Weather was all over the place, one minute brilliant sunshine the next overcast and showers.
I just whacked the 200 into "Auto" and let it sort itself out.
The kit lens isn't that bad.........

2008_0809flowers0290.jpg

2008_0809flowers0231.jpg

2008_0809flowers0306.jpg

2008_0809flowers0305.jpg

2008_0809flowers0129.jpg

2008_0809flowers0309.jpg

I'd like to hear from other Sony Alpha users, having just got an a300.
The majority of photogs use Canon or Nikon, so if it's ok with da management, I'd like to start a Sony Alpha thread.

So if you are a Sony a user, would like to be, were once but not anymore, then lets chat!!

Bodies, lenses, accessories etc..........

Hi..I have just joined this site and I am seeing if this works. I also have the a300. Can you tell me how you go about joining any groups.

Hi..I have just joined this site and I am seeing if this works. I also have the a300. Can you tell me how you go about joining any groups.

You've just joined one
;););):D

:thinking: 3/4 weeks ago I was all set for a Cannon 450 but have since had hands on feels of Nikon Pentax & Sony. Each Model has something right about it for different reasons so being a vertual novice I would never recomend or condem a model BUT..... ??? .... Ive been swayed to the A300 but just need a couple of user reports.

1) Ive been warmed off Sony because of the CCD sensor being bad and not getting replacements or instore help ect has anybody had a problem with it.

2) Does the 1.4x & 2x zoom facility work with all lenses attatched (yes I know about pixel reduction and drop in f nos)

3) Im not poffessional but looking to upgrade from compact digital so high pixal rating although good is not my main aim. Im looking for a camera that will look smart and be functional for novice in low light, for reasonably good sporting photos, easy to set modes

Rightly or wrongly this model has stuck with me so any feedback either way would be appriciated Ta :bonk:

:thinking: 3/4 weeks ago I was all set for a Cannon 450 but have since had hands on feels of Nikon Pentax & Sony. Each Model has something right about it for different reasons so being a vertual novice I would never recomend or condem a model BUT..... ??? .... Ive been swayed to the A300 but just need a couple of user reports.

1) Ive been warmed off Sony because of the CCD sensor being bad and not getting replacements or instore help ect has anybody had a problem with it.

2) Does the 1.4x & 2x zoom facility work with all lenses attatched (yes I know about pixel reduction and drop in f nos)

3) Im not poffessional but looking to upgrade from compact digital so high pixal rating although good is not my main aim. Im looking for a camera that will look smart and be functional for novice in low light, for reasonably good sporting photos, easy to set modes

Rightly or wrongly this model has stuck with me so any feedback either way would be appriciated Ta :bonk:

Don't know any specifics in the a300, but I have an a100 and a700. I'm very curious as to who warned you off regarding the sensors as I have never heard any problems and I believe that Sony make sensors for Nikon.

What do you mean by 1.4x and 2x zoom? Are you referring to teleconverters? If so, I'm not sure the model of camera will make any difference there.

To be fair, your needs can be met by any of the cameras you are considering as they would be met more by the choice of lenses. I shoot polo mostly and am pretty satisfied with the Sonys in that respect.

Don't know any specifics in the a300, but I have an a100 and a700. I'm very curious as to who warned you off regarding the sensors as I have never heard any problems and I believe that Sony make sensors for Nikon.

What do you mean by 1.4x and 2x zoom? Are you referring to teleconverters? If so, I'm not sure the model of camera will make any difference there.

To be fair, your needs can be met by any of the cameras you are considering as they would be met more by the choice of lenses. I shoot polo mostly and am pretty satisfied with the Sonys in that respect.

Ditto.

I'm thinking OP means the smart teleconvertor?
If so, then yes it'll work with any lens, but not in RAW mode.

Ditto again.

i won't answer your questions again,as they've been answered by andy and fabs....

BUT..whatever camera you choose,it has to feel good in the hand for size and positioning of controls etc..i have quite big hands,so the nikon D40's canon 400's etc felt a bit small in hand to me,hence i plumbed for the sony.if it doesn't feel right,you will be inclined to not use it.i'm on my 2nd one now..had the A100 first,and recently got the A350 as i liked the look of the liveview facility,and the fact i could get a battery grip for it as there wasn't one available for the A100.

good luck in your quest...

i won't answer your questions again,as they've been answered by andy and fabs....

BUT..whatever camera you choose,it has to feel good in the hand for size and positioning of controls etc..i have quite big hands,so the nikon D40's canon 400's etc felt a bit small in hand to me,hence i plumbed for the sony.i'm on my 2nd one now..had the A100 first,and recently got the A350 as i liked the look of the liveview facility,and the fact i could get a battery grip for it as there wasn't one available for the A100.

good luck in your quest...

Would you believe I went for the Sony because my hands are on the SMALL side and I like the a700 (with grip) for the same reason. I think it's the reassurance of having something solid and weighty in my hands (Cue schoolboy sniggers! :cautious:)

Finally, I've uploaded some photos into my gallery :)

All 4 were taken with my new Sony Alpha 200

Don't laugh - I am, after all, a n00b.......

*Runs away* :exit:

Would you believe I went for the Sony because my hands are on the SMALL side and I like the a700 (with grip) for the same reason. I think it's the reassurance of having something solid and weighty in my hands (Cue schoolboy sniggers! :cautious:)

how does the A700 compare to the A100 size wise?

i love the size of the A100 and A350 especially now i have the battery grip fitted..like you say,it's nice to have something "substancial" in your hand :naughty:

I just got a A200. This is my first DSLP and Im not sure what to make of the Kit len which came with it. It seems good to me, those I've never had a Len camera before.

Finally, I've uploaded some photos into my gallery :)

All 4 were taken with my new Sony Alpha 200

Don't laugh - I am, after all, a n00b.......

*Runs away* :exit:

Hi, nothing to run away from but they do seem a tad soft. What lens and settings did you use?

how does the A700 compare to the A100 size wise?

i love the size of the A100 and A350 especially now i have the battery grip fitted..like you say,it's nice to have something "substancial" in your hand :naughty:

The a700 is quite a bit bigger than the a100 (About a third bigger I think, but then I'm a man and we always exaggerate about size! :naughty:). With the grip it makes the a100 look like a bridge camera! :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back