Cambridge in one photo

I like your eye on the subject but the rendition is flat, full of artefacts and offers none
of the dramatic dynamic range the harsh sunlight is suggesting, not to mention the
required keystoning and levelling.
You made your shot, IMHO, unappreciable through the HDR approach to the rendition.

Reactions: ST4
thats a great shot imo !

But I do think the PP has just smoothed out just a bit too much detail.

It's got lots of good stuff going on. I like the storytelling aspect in particular and the reflection is well spotted. Levelling and keystone correction would make no real difference to the shot.

The processing is a wee bit problematic, there are halos around high contrast edges; look at the unnatural glow in the sky around the building.
I like the composition very much but would have tried to give the bike a bit more room at the bottom and the archway a bit more room at the top.

I'd be interested to see a colour variant, too, I suspect the warm tones of Cambridge College stone combined with blue sky may be a bit special.

*disclaimer: I am not an architecture photographer.

Processing and content work for me Hannah but I agree it needs more top and bottom and fixing the verticals :)

Thankyou guys..

It was my first trip out shooting architecture, buildings etc ... Im usually a glamour photographer :LOL: This is way different for me! I did use he luminance tool a little as the shot was a bit grainy too, that may have something to do with the lack of detail.

I also left the sky as it was (It was more blue nearer the top, and whiter at the bottom, that may be causing the glow. Would be interesting to hear your views on the colour version, i shall try dig it out ...

Thankyou again :D

Well spotted.

Clare College I presume by the Porters Lodge? (Built predominantly in Weldon and Ketton Stone with some local Clunch)

Lots of interest there and scope for other shots too. Does sum up Cambridge very well.

Last edited:
Im usually a glamour photographer :LOL: This is way different for me!

Ditto, kind of!

I also left the sky as it was (It was more blue nearer the top, and whiter at the bottom, that may be causing the glow.

It's not just at the bottom - e.g. the glow follows the line of the chimneys, esp. the one on the left. It's often caused by ramping up clarity or structure, or unsharp mask with a wide radius, or by various of the filters & sliders in Silver Efex or Color Efex. But the rest of the image looks as though the local contrast has been reduced, so I'm slightly puzzled :thinking:.

I think it's a great shot. I think the composition works well and I quite like the processing. Yes, maybe a little glow at the top edges of the building but...nothing to worry about.

Can we see the original :).

I love the composure - the symmetry the reflection brings is my favorite bit.

Whilst the processing isn't to taste I certaintly think your shot captures the esscence of Cams!

Back