KIPAX Lancashire UK
Edit My Images
No
Looking to point and shoot
Its for shooting sport
Need slow motion
Decent in poor lighting
2 card slot if possible

Budget... not too fussed.. the higher range wont by point and shoot anyways.. so up to £1k I guesss

Juts to be clear.. looking for camcorder not dslr ta :)

PS looked and googled ang googled and looked.. So just wondered if anyone else already looked... shouting out makes of camcorders isn't going to help

As always much apprciated in advance :)

Last edited:
As you asked I may be able to help. Most camcorders only have small sensors so although will b e in daylight nightime could may mean adding extra light. but i find tghat a minoe issue to be honest. all camcorder when set in auto mode wiwill be point and shoot
for me picture quality comes first and my old panasonic camcorder after 10+years wore out. so I had the Sony AX 53 whic had a lrger sewnsor but oh dear the optical stablisation was crfap and I had very little contrl over the settings . foe example set shutter speed and the camcorder set automatically aperature etc. got rfid of that pretty quick.
so went back to Panasonic and the best move i could have made, the image stablisation is fr better than the Sony model I mentional, it is rock solid.
Obviously the Panasonic HC-X1500 I have now is amazing but at £1440 new may be just out of your price bracket except for this.
Having the ND filters built in and which to use in the display is a great help.

https://www.mpb.com/en-uk/product/panasonic-hc-x1500/sku-2385246

It took in Iceland unedited video
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAXCze22-9o

Last edited:
This is sort of shouting out a make of a camcorder ;-)
But I’ve had some good experiences with the Sony FDR range of camcorders … used the FDR-AX53 and FDR-AX100E myself.
Decent 4K footage and ‘do the job’ .. used them at indoors with basketball, and they were more than OK in quality for social media and bigger screens.
There are other models in the same ‘series’ - some cheaper some more expensive.. but few of them are at the 1k price range you mentioned.

But I’ve had some good experiences with the Sony FDR range of camcorders … used the FDR-AX53 and FDR-AX100E myself.
Decent 4K footage and ‘do the job’ .. used them at indoors with basketball, and they were more than OK in quality for social media and bigger screens.
There are other models in the same ‘series’ - some cheaper some more expensive.. but few of them are at the 1k price range you mentioned.
how can one suggest a camcorder without mentioning a make? . Don't get me wrong this is purely a personal point of view. I would still go for the Panasonic HC-VXF1 4K Camcorder which is in the same price bracket if not for the HC-X1500 version.

Last edited:
how can one suggest a camcorder without mentioning a make? . Don't get me wrong this is purely a personal point of view. I would still go for the Panasonic HC-VXF1 4K Camcorder which is in the same price bracket if not for the HC-X1500 version.

he was responding to my request asking people not to just simple shout out a make and nothing more.. you know the sort.. sony make great ones try them... that sort of thing :)

funny you should day that.. someone else (an american) pointed me to this

PS the 1k price range was a guess.. I will spend whats needed.. I just didnt want 10k camcorders thrown at me as they wouldnt be point and shoot.. i also didnt want 200 quid ones either.. somehitg decent but not pro :)

Last edited:
If Realspeed has convinced you MPB have a HC-X1500 £1099, but they also have the HC-X1 which has a bigger sensor than the X1500 so will be slightly better in low light and thats only £834

Scott what was the run time? I picked the x1500 because it only has 1 HR run time I can only talk about what I have and use. Maybe the one you suggest is an alternative option. I went for the x1500 for size and what I wanted menu wise

Last edited:
funny you should day that.. someone else (an american) pointed me to this

PS the 1k price range was a guess.. I will spend whats needed.. I just didnt want 10k camcorders thrown at me as they wouldnt be point and shoot.. i also didnt want 200 quid ones either.. somehitg decent but not pro :)
If your budget stretches - the AX100 is fair bit better..
But - for point&shoot ones, in my opinion these pretty good ones.
Of course there are compromises... compared to a 10k camcorder ;-)
And I would say Sony now wouldn't I ... since apart from my 35mm film gear.. all my stuff is Sony these days (although the Panasonic ones do seem to have a good reputation as well..)
Good luck in choosing from the tons of options you have ..

Scott what was the run time? I picked the x1500 because it only has 1 HR run time I can only talk about what I have and use. Maybe the one you suggest is an alternative option. I went for the x1500 for size and what I wanted menu wise

The X1500 is showing 1hr run time, the X1 is showing 26hrs run time, so hardly used, But MBP are listing the X1 as 'well used' Ive no idea why, a pro camera like this should be capable of 1000+ hrs easily.

From this and others advice and from all the reviews I ahve seen on youtube I am leaning towards the Sony FDR-AX53

From this and others advice and from all the reviews I ahve seen on youtube I am leaning towards the Sony FDR-AX53
Obviously trhe choice is yours. However I still think you will be very disappointed. Having owned one and found out how little control over settings one has made me get rid of it after less than a year. What was the most annoying thing was the cold/hot shoe revealing flap on the top. OH that damn flap flopping about banging against the remote microphone (yes a sony mike)or on the camcorder body drove me mad. I tried everything including blutack to stick it to the microphone side, it never worked properly, you don't see this mentioned, I fell for the hype about the floating gimble inside, well it isn't half as good as one thinks.more of a gimmick than anything. The panasonic also has a 5 axis stablisation also has the option of normal- pan/tilt- stable optical image stablisation. No choice with sony

A I said it is your choice but before buying get a hands on both first and see if I am not right.yes there is a price difference for a reason and that is what each offers menu wise.

Last edited:
@KIPAX why are you ruling out DSLR? You have 1DX / 1DXM2, right? And long primes. This kit can already record top quality sport footage in slow motion. Any kind of camcorder will be poor in comparison.

@KIPAX why are you ruling out DSLR? You have 1DX / 1DXM2, right? And long primes. This kit can already record top quality sport footage in slow motion. Any kind of camcorder will be poor in comparison.

I have the 1dx mk3 which i believe wipes the floor with the others... But its not point and shoot. I just want to take the equiveant of happy snaps for facebook and stuff... also be more mobile wiht it.. . I ahve looked into doing it more manual but its a whole new world and its just daunting for me at my age and at the moment :)

KIPAX

I think is if someone has only used sony camcorders they are going to say Sony are the best, same for panasonic users. However I have used both so can speak from over 12 years experience using camcorders . Nothing actually wrong with the Sony AX53 video wise ,but oh that lack of control and stablisation!!!!!!!! say no more. for me that was the main issues i had with it
I find that albeit the sony is ok??? the panasonic produces a better video overall.

to give so idea of how steady the panasonic is walking hand held in my garden (with slippers on) also need little practice doing it

Panasonic HC-X1500 hand held ND built in filter on1/4 setting

there is no way could I have done this with the Sony AX53. also check the colours. Taken 14.30Approx on 29/3/2024 today and one of the 3 options to use for stablisation. you don't get that with the Sony

this is how i did it
P1060380.JPG
I bought a tripod arm for two positions . this gave me clearance to use the flip out screen. Also a round handle ( I modified an old one I had) assembled like this. to say I was staggered the difference this made, well the vide above shows. initially I had the handle abvove the bar but that made the camcorder that much lower . Apart from that the hadle being that far from the camcorder helped control any sideways swing

Last edited:
Back