Camera (6D) wont focus on timer when doing self portrait

Edit My Images
Yes
I have a Canon 6d attached with an 85mm f1.8 lens sitting on a tripod, I am trying to do a self portrait/headshot of myself using the 10 second timer with grey background however when I press the shutter button I can't obtain focus. How do I get around this?

Two options spring to mind, I've never tried to use a self timer with autofocus so I don't know if its possible.

1. Manually focus the camera first using a placeholder/stand-in, this could be hit and miss.

2. Use the mobile app and WiFi, this is what I do, you can then get in to position and engage the autofocus using the mobile phone and take the shot without having to run in to the frame.

You need to do the focusing part first then press the shutter. Set the camera to focus on the area that you will be posed at,you can use another object to focus on, camera bag etc and then position yourself in the focus area and take the shot. Might be an idea to Google 'depth of field'

2. Use the mobile app and WiFi, this is what I do, you can then get in to position and engage the autofocus using the mobile phone and take the shot without having to run in to the frame.[/QUOTE]

I did actually think of using the app as a remote trigger whilst I am actually in the frame.

Yip, I'm forgetting the 6D has WiFi

I believe when the shutter is pressed the camera tries to get focus, if you aren't in the frame it can't focus on you, so either put something in your place or get some sort of remote working. The other thing is it probably can't focus on a plain grey background so you could try something with a pattern and hope you have enough dof to still be in focus.
Matt

Last edited:
Back