Camera advice - Canon 6D or 7D Mark II

Name
Phil
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

Looking for any advice/real world experience as to these cameras, as they are available for similar prices.

My main focus is landscape and astrophotography, including cityscapes and the rare portrait. I have an interest in interior photography/architecture that I would like to explore also.

I currently have a 550d and shoot with a Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 and Canon 55-250mm IS STM. Obviously the cheaper option overall would be the 7D Mark II as I could use my existing lens, and have the benefit of a more rugged body, better AF (not that this is a critical point for my type of shots), additional reach of an APS-C etc.

I don't doubt the 7D Mark II produces great images, but the main point I am trying to decide on is how much of a difference the full frame sensor in the 6D would make for doing wide field landscape shots at night - high ISO shots capturing the stars and the Milky Way etc, and if it would be worth spending the extra (as I would then have to purchase new lenses etc). I hear the 7D Mark II handles high ISO very well for a crop sensor, so how much better would you expect the 6D to be?

Any comments or experiences would be appreciated as am a bit torn at the moment.

The cheaper route would be preferable, but if the difference in low light performance is good enough I would be willing to go the full frame route. If money was no object I'd be going for a Sony A7s!

Thanks,

Phil

They're both rather different cameras so the choice should be fairly simple

6d - Image quality and low light performance
7d2 - Fast AF and High speed shooting

There's other bells and whistles obviously but that's the basics

As above!

6d all day long for what you're shooting, and you would notice the IQ between the two!

Hi all,

Looking for any advice/real world experience as to these cameras, as they are available for similar prices.

My main focus is landscape and astrophotography, including cityscapes and the rare portrait. I have an interest in interior photography/architecture that I would like to explore also.

I currently have a 550d and shoot with a Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 and Canon 55-250mm IS STM. Obviously the cheaper option overall would be the 7D Mark II as I could use my existing lens, and have the benefit of a more rugged body, better AF (not that this is a critical point for my type of shots), additional reach of an APS-C etc.

I don't doubt the 7D Mark II produces great images, but the main point I am trying to decide on is how much of a difference the full frame sensor in the 6D would make for doing wide field landscape shots at night - high ISO shots capturing the stars and the Milky Way etc, and if it would be worth spending the extra (as I would then have to purchase new lenses etc). I hear the 7D Mark II handles high ISO very well for a crop sensor, so how much better would you expect the 6D to be?

Any comments or experiences would be appreciated as am a bit torn at the moment.

The cheaper route would be preferable, but if the difference in low light performance is good enough I would be willing to go the full frame route. If money was no object I'd be going for a Sony A7s!

Thanks,

Phil
Erm, from your last line "The cheaper route would be preferable, but if the difference in low light performance is good enough I would be willing to go the full frame route."
The 6D is cheaper than the 7D II, so you just answered your own question.
I've not compared them, but I feel sure the low light performance of the 6D is superior to the 7D.
If you need a new lens for full frame, get the kit with the 24-105 F4L lens.
According to "CameraPricebuster" the 6D plus 24-105 F4L is "only" £250 more than the 7D body alone - and well worth it IMHO!

Simply...

Your main subject is Landscape etc. as you listed then 6D all the way. Full frame aswell, means wider angle images.

7D Mark II only if your shooting anything that is fast, requires speedy AF & fps i.e football, wildlife, racing etc.

Both cameras are superb at what they do best!

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies.

I felt that the 6D would likely be the better option, but had read lots of favourable reviews about the 7D Mark II, and that would be the cheaper route for me to go.

Just to clarify, I know the 6D body is cheaper, but because I am switching from APS-C to FF it means having to buy new lenses as well as the body.

Thanks for the info - definitely steering me in the right direction :)

Remember that choosing the 6D effectively means a complete change of system. So regardless of whether the 6D or the 7Dii are the best options in the Canon line-up, you should really also look at APS-C and full-frame options from other manufacturers as well. Just for completeness.

That's true... is there anything that stands out that fits the bill in terms of what I want to shoot?

I'm working on the basis of a budget of around £1,700 for which I should be able to get the Canon 6D with the 24-105mm f/4L plus a Samyang 24mm f1.4 for the astro shots.

Welcome to any suggestions

That's true... is there anything that stands out that fits the bill in terms of what I want to shoot?

I'm working on the basis of a budget of around £1,700 for which I should be able to get the Canon 6D with the 24-105mm f/4L plus a Samyang 24mm f1.4 for the astro shots.

Welcome to any suggestions

Sounds like a good setup to me for your uses, if you wanted something wider for landscapes it maybe worth considering the Canon 16-35mm f/4L IS or cheaper a 17-40mm f/4L used you can pick up for about £380.

In terms of full-frame you ought to at least consider the Sony A7 range (I think there's about four now in the line up) and whatever the current Nikon offering is.

For APS-C look at the Fuji X series* (16 months ago I was considering the 6D or 7D and ended up with Fuji - on the same rationale I posted above, the 6D would have been a complete new system from from my 40D), plus Sony and Nikon have the usual contenders, and the Samsung is an interesting looking alternative choice that I hadn't really considered but I've seen some very good images from recently.

* have a serious look at the X-E2, but make sure any review is based on the latest firmware as it's effectively a new camera compared to when first released. Refurbs are under £300 which leaves a lot of budget for glass. There are a few dedicated astrophotography forms that rate the Fuji's very highly.

If you went grey market then I'm pretty sure you could get the 6D and 24-105 and upgrade the Samyang to the Sigma for a similar budget. Have a look at Panamoz.

If changing between FF and Crop you could also look at the Nikon D750 & 24-120 f4 for £1414. Adding the Samyang may take you slightly over budget unless you went for the f2.8 version.

Last edited:
I have both the 7D Mk1 and the 6D, it (sort of) gives me 2 different camera kits. 7D & long telephoto (300mm f4, Sigma 150-600) for wildlife, 6D and shorter lenses (17-40 f4 & 24-105 f4) for landscape etc. If I go out for the day in general, I take the 6D and the two lenses in a small day pack. Now, the Mk2 7D has much better image quality than the original, but it doesn't match that of the 6D for most subjects that are not moving quickly. I recently used the big Sigma on the 6D as an experiment was impressed with the results.

As somebody else above said, if it moves quickly, the 7D is body to have, but for your typical subjects, I would opt for the 6D with the 24-105 and then look for a speciality lens for your main interests.

Edit: You can get the 6D & 24-105 on 12 month interest free from most decent camera shops. That's how I bought mine, and now that it's paid for, I'm using it to buy the big Sigma. That may be a route you want to investigate.

Last edited:

6D then Phil as has been said.

Enjoy your new toy when you get it :)

Thanks for all the suggestions and advice guys.

It does seem to be a clear cut choice of 6D when it comes to that or the 7D Mark II for my uses.

I have always had Canon gear and had not really considered/kept up to speed with Nikon offerings.

If changing between FF and Crop you could also look at the Nikon D750 & 24-120 f4 for £1414. Adding the Samyang may take you slightly over budget unless you went for the f2.8 version.

The D750 is an interesting suggestion. I didn't even know this camera existed, but from what I have researched it does sound very good. It would take me over my initial budget, but from the advantages it would bring (incredible dynamic range, ISO handling, better AF system, articulated screen), it may be worth looking at getting the camera and getting the Samyang a while after.

Even with the 24-120 f/4 on the D750, it will be a substantial upgrade over my current setup.

Not wanting to bring the Canon vs Nikon debate in to it, but what are peoples thoughts of the Canon 6D vs the Nikon D750? Anyone used both?

Everything I have read seems to point towards the D750.

Thanks for all the suggestions and advice guys.

It does seem to be a clear cut choice of 6D when it comes to that or the 7D Mark II for my uses.

I have always had Canon gear and had not really considered/kept up to speed with Nikon offerings.

The D750 is an interesting suggestion. I didn't even know this camera existed, but from what I have researched it does sound very good. It would take me over my initial budget, but from the advantages it would bring (incredible dynamic range, ISO handling, better AF system, articulated screen), it may be worth looking at getting the camera and getting the Samyang a while after.

Even with the 24-120 f/4 on the D750, it will be a substantial upgrade over my current setup.

Not wanting to bring the Canon vs Nikon debate in to it, but what are peoples thoughts of the Canon 6D vs the Nikon D750? Anyone used both?

Everything I have read seems to point towards the D750.

I have the D750 and I can't fault it for my needs, it's comfortable to hold with the deep grip, has excellent ISO capabilities, DR, etc..........

@twist maybe able to help more as I believe he has owned both cameras and currently uses a D750. He's also owned the A7s which is supposed to be the low noise king?

Ross Harvey wrote a good blog on the D750 when first released which is a worthwhile read and he makes some comparisons to the 5D3 along with the D750 owners thread.

Ross review > http://www.rossharvey.com/reviews/nikon-d750-review

D750 thread > https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/nikon-d750.557831/page-86#post-6886629

Last edited:
So... after spending many hours over the weekend reading and comparing the options, and reading all the links provided in here, I've just ordered a Nikon D750 with the 24-120mm f/4.

I also came across an excellent condition (second hand) Samyang 24mm f/1.4 at Wex... so I ordered that too.

Thanks again for the links and advice. I think the Nikon provides a number of advantages, but over all appears to be a more versatile camera - if I'm spending this much I want to get something that will last and be capable of pretty much anything I want to do.

Expensive thread... :exit:

So... after spending many hours over the weekend reading and comparing the options, and reading all the links provided in here, I've just ordered a Nikon D750 with the 24-120mm f/4.

I also came across an excellent condition (second hand) Samyang 24mm f/1.4 at Wex... so I ordered that too.

Thanks again for the links and advice. I think the Nikon provides a number of advantages, but over all appears to be a more versatile camera - if I'm spending this much I want to get something that will last and be capable of pretty much anything I want to do.

Expensive thread... :exit:

Nikon or Canon mate, your be happy with the gear, Enjoy! :)

Last edited:
Back