Beginner Camera advice

Name
Barry
Edit My Images
No
Advice required please, I am looking to set myself up for shooting greyhound racing, does anyone shoot at tracks who could offer advice on cameras and lenses I should look at buying

Depends how much budget and what standard it needs to be.

Plus there is no point in getting pro cameras if you don't know how to use them,

Perhaps say your experience, what you have now and if the pics are just for you or for work etc,,,,,

As a hobby?

Hi Barry, welcome to TP.

From the threads you’ve started it seems you’re just starting out.

Don’t take this the wrong way, but your choice of first camera should be fairly irrelevant. It’s your ‘first’ camera, and in 12 months it’ll either be:
  • In the back of a cupboard
  • Your 2nd camera - kept partly for sentimental reasons and partly as a ‘spare’.
  • Sold on and upgraded
  • Still using it sometimes because you can’t justify the upgrade
However, in your case, you’ve stumbled on a very tricky subject (fast moving subjects in the dark), you need a fast focussing setup with decent low light IQ.

None of the ‘other’ manufacturers can compete in this field (so it’s Canikon), you’re in need of a pro spec body and fast lens. But it’s not a ‘beginner’ setup in any meaningful way. If I was to go to the dogs this week, I’d consider myself lucky to get a decent shot (30 years of shooting, 5 cameras and 10 lenses).

Personally I’d start with a S/h mid range* DSLR and a couple of decent zooms (std zoom and tele zooms at 2.8)

It’s probably a £2k entry, but if you decide it’s not for you, you’ll lose very little selling it on.

*the mid range models are generally easier in use than entry level models, aimed at the needs of photographers rather than being ‘helpful’

However, in your case, you’ve stumbled on a very tricky subject (fast moving subjects in the dark), you need a fast focussing setup with decent low light IQ.

None of the ‘other’ manufacturers can compete in this field (so it’s Canikon), you’re in need of a pro spec body and fast lens. But it’s not a ‘beginner’ setup in any meaningful way. If I was to go to the dogs this week, I’d consider myself lucky to get a decent shot (30 years of shooting, 5 cameras and 10 lenses).

I've only been to the dogs once and I didn't take a camera so what do I know... but I'll say it anyway...

I'd imagine that fast running dogs in low light are a difficult test for auto focus but you do know where the dogs are going to be so can't you prefocus and shoot a burst? I'd imagine that could work and give you a few hits?

None of the ‘other’ manufacturers can compete in this field (so it’s Canikon), you’re in need of a pro spec body and fast lens. But it’s not a ‘beginner’ setup in any meaningful way...

Agree that it's a tricky subject - but Sony A9 + G Master lenses should also be up to the task, if your pockets are deep enough (it's designed to compete with the top end sports models from Canikon, and is priced accordingly)

(The Sony A99II would also be fine, but it's much harder to recommend A Mount to a beginner, as all the Sony development is in E mount).

I used to photograph Afghan hounds on various tracks. so maybe these tips may help a bit

first of all you will need a "fast " lens and fast shutter speed so get used to setting thjat up it will help

Ok your at the track but where do you stand? well one place is not square on to the track, try and get on a bend whee the dogs are approaching
The determination in the dogs eyes makes wonderful photos

That gives you time to sort out DOF using the running rail as a guide
Not only that but also allows a bit more time to get the dogs in view

below is a poor example but to give some idea of how much more time you get. the shot

9nQFc0R.jpg

as you can see even if the dogs are some distance apart you can still get them all in frame

This though demonstrates the advantage of getting on the bend of the track

Square on presents 2 problems
! do you pan and follow a dog until it is level with you and only get the one dog and a blurred background
2 fix the spot the dog is going to pass and have a blurred moving dog

370fzGT.jpg

Fast lens and fast shutter speed. see the eye deternination

or you could go for out of the traps shot
6rvbukJ.jpg

I posted bad photos so not worth copying

Last edited:
Back