Beginner Camera and Lens for £500

Name
Saurav
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

My cousin is a beginner and she is looking for a DSLR and lens. She has a budget of £500. Which body and lens would you recommend for this sort of budget for a complete beginner? It would be for daily general photos etc.

I was thinking of a cheap body and a 17-55mm f2.8 second hand lens. I am not too sure though, you guys will have more experience and knowledge than me. Thanks.

People are going to come back and say it depends on what she's wants to do with it. Until then.... my sister asked me the same question before christmas with a slightly lower budget for general kind of use. After first explaining that 'good photographs' come from the photographer not the camera, and then looking at why she wasn't happy with the photos her phone took and what sort of photos she was hoping to take, she bought a Nikon D3300 (not the under-spec'd D3400). A very capable camera, she is over the moon with it.

Chris

Depending on your sisters priorities, either your original assertion or what Oliver said.

There's no 'right' answer when there's no specific requirement other than budget. Too many variables, too many options.

The great news is that if you're prepared to go 2nd hand, £500 will get you a decent setup.

I started off with a Nikon D5300, which is a great camera for starting! I Used the kit lens 18-55 and had a 35mm F1.8 that would stay on the camera most of the time. A great starting point for me anyway (y)

Back