Camera backpack for budget airlines

Edit My Images
Yes
I am looking for a camera backpack which is suitable for use as hand/cabin luggage on budget airlines (max dimensions 55cm x 40cm x 20cm). It would need to hold the following items:

Gripped Canon 5D with 24-70mm f2.8L attached plus 70-200mm f2.8, 16-35mm f2.8L and 50mm f1.8 lenses
Speedlite 580EX flashgun
10" netbook (or preferably a 15" MacBook Pro)
Accessories such as batteries, CF cards, remote, card reader etc.
Space for a second body (gripped 40D) and other items such as a lunchbox/headphones would be handy but not crucial, as would some kind of tripod attachment.

I currently have a Fastpack 350 which is great but too big (deep) for budget airlines. Therefore any suggestions welcome. Most of the other backpacks I have looked at which fit my needs are just too deep and I am struggling to find one 20cm or less deep.

I would've said the Kata 3N1-33 or the 30 (w/o netbook/laptop) but the 3N1-33 (Lx32 Wx23.5 Hx46) has a max W of 23.5cm compared to 19cm of the 3N1-30 (Lx32 Wx19 Hx45) ....

edit: sizes were the maximum - but have read that its suppose to be airline compatible....

Last edited:
Check if there is a weight limit as well as a size limit for a budget airline !
I bought a backpack to fit the size limit only to find that putting a camera and one lens in it took it over the weight limit for the airline I was flying.

I am looking for a camera backpack which is suitable for use as hand/cabin luggage on budget airlines (max dimensions 55cm x 40cm x 20cm)......I currently have a Fastpack 350 which is great but too big (deep) for budget airlines. Therefore any suggestions welcome. Most of the other backpacks I have looked at which fit my needs are just too deep and I am struggling to find one 20cm or less deep.

I'm in exactly the same boat as you. Flying to Dublin in June with Ryanair and also have the Fastpack 350, which I think might be too big, although I'm not sure how the size is assessed as I've heard that it is the total of the dimensions rather than any one dimension that is the issue? :shrug:

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses, I've had a look at some of the Katas and they seem quite nice, I'll take a look at the 3N1-30 (although the laptop section would be nice even if to just put newspaper/magazine or a hoodie in!)

I know a lot of bags seem to state airline compatible, but most adhere to the IATA guideline of 56x46x25cm and not budget airline ones.

I don't think I'll have an issue with weight limits, most popular budget airlines (inc Ryanair) have a limit of 10kg. The gripped 5D, 4 lenses and flash would be about 5-6kg, a netbook would be 1.2kg and that leaves about 3kg for the actual bag and accessories (which could be put in pockets for check in/boarding, and maybe a lens or something!)

I'm in exactly the same boat as you. Flying to Dublin in June with Ryanair and also have the Fastpack 350, which I think might be too big, although I'm not sure how the size is assessed as I've heard that it is the total of the dimensions rather than any one dimension that is the issue? :shrug:

They use a metal cage which the bag must fit in. If it doesn't, then you must check it in to the hold luggage and pay extra. It's not definite that they will check, but it's a risk (and one I'd rather not take when dealing with thousands of pounds of fragile equipment!)

I did fly to Dublin with Ryanair a couple of years back and took a smaller LowePro Nova shoulder bag with my camera stuff in (which was well under limits) and checked in a suitcase with the rest of my stuff (which almost doubled the flight cost!) But now that I have more (and heavier) equipment, a shoulder bag alone would not be comfortable carrying around for a length of time!

Take your bag to your local airport and try the gauge. The bag has to fit in easily not forced in. You might get past check in but the gate staff and the crew can put your bag in the hold. And even if you got sway with it on your out bound they could still get you on the way back and low cost will not accept but they let me take it on the way out.
The check in staff also have to hit bag targets and are subjected to disciplinary procedure if the fail to do their job correctly and collect revenue. That's how low cost works

I've just come across the Kata R-103 which looks almost perfect! Only negatives are there's no water bottle holder and it costs about £160!

Back