Camera backpack for cycling that's not going to shimmy around

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
I've recently (last few weeks) been brave enough to go out on a bike for the first time in a millennium - and now that my confidence is improving - and I'm not falling into things so regularly - it would be good to be able to pop a lightweight backpack on with a body with lens fitted, and possibly one extra lens, so that they are held fairly firmly, and the backpack itself could be pulled tight so it didn't shimmy about, while maybe having an airway up the back to let a little sweat out. (I'm asking a lot here I know) - any cyclists here that have experience of carrying a camera - and might have a recommendation or two? I'm thinking of course of a proper backpack with dividers rather than a general sports rucksack where everything would bounce about. I wouldn't need quick access to grab a shot I don't think - prefer something strong and stable.

If you’re looking for a proper hiking bag I could recommend the osprey stratos 24 with Tenba BYOB insert. I think it was the BYOB 10 that fits perfectly into the bottom of the stratos 24.

What are you doing on the bike (yes, sounds like a stupid question) and what type? In my experience even airway will still make you sweat.

You could get a pannier? Something like this https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/500-seat-post-pannier-rack/_/R-p-170873?mc=8387783&c=BLACK - which i have, easy to take off from seat post. then add a pannier bag https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/100-pannier-rack-bike-bag-15l/_/R-p-171333?mc=8388005&c=BLACK.

I used to do this for work - rucksack in the pannier which had laptop etc... I also put my lower rucksack in there on a few photo trips. No weight on back, no sweat. easy!

Of course, if you have a road bike and bothered about speed and aerodynamics then it may not work as well.

I used a Camelbak HAWG with an insert to carry my gear, never had a problem.
It had a good harness that stopped it moving around, few years ago now, but daresay they are still made.

Some great suggestions there so far - thank you - let me go do a bit of googling - I hadn't really considered bags on the bike itself - but that's an option as well (although my handlebars are full of a computer, a light, and a horn.) - It's a cyclocross bike and mostly ridden around cycle paths at the moment....

I've said this before in another thread, but I'll repeat it here anyway:

The last place you want to carry something solid like a camera is on your back. As a lifelong first-aider, I have seen some very serious injuries resulting from this. On one occasion; full quadriplegia resulting from just a water bottle. :sorry:

Mike's suggestion with the handlebar mount is a MUCH better idea. (y)

I’d go for Osprey Escapist 25 or 32 with a Tenba Byob insert. Personally wouldn’t want anything on the handlebars as I’d be concerned about the amount of vibration damaging the kit.

Have you seen Thomas Heaton's latest video where he cycles 10 miles around his local area? He had a full size camera backpack and no helmet.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHXiuxSd6Hk

I actually took my camera out on a cycle recently on a rather warm day. I took a hiking rucksack (with air gap) with camera and two lenses well packed in there. I do have a Tenba insert for my larger hiking backpack.

I don't cycle enough to want to take my camera often, but the comments above are interesting to read.
I'm not sure I'd want the extra weight on one side of the bike with a panier making me unbalanced, not ideal on off road trails. However if you attached the bag centrally over the wheel, that would solve that issue.
A bag on the handlebar, I think I'd only want to do that with a small bag and small camera inside it.
Interesting thought about the vibrations. Perhaps that might only be a problem if you are carrying cameras and lenses with image stabilisation, because the elements or sensor are already bouncing around and bumping around on a bike could make them bounce too much. In that case a camera without IBIS and a prime lens with fewer moving elements?

Some great suggestions there so far - thank you - let me go do a bit of googling - I hadn't really considered bags on the bike itself - but that's an option as well (although my handlebars are full of a computer, a light, and a horn.) - It's a cyclocross bike and mostly ridden around cycle paths at the moment....
When I go out on my bike I take my lowepro flipside 300aw and my Sony a9 and 200-600mm fit perfectly inside.
I've cycled 25 miles without any issues.
A flipside 200 would do if not carrying a large lens....

I've got an eMTB and have gone through a similar search lately. I already had 2 f-stop bags. I could get away with using my Lotus, which was my normal day to day bag, though was maybe a little tall and did occasionally push up on my helmet. Tilopa is too tall really

I ended up buying a second hand f-stop Guru, which is perfect! Still takes a medium ICU, and I'll get 2 cameras and a drone in there, plus other bits and bobs, and no impact on my helmet.

I have a carry bag ( Not a plastic bag) fixed to my ebike at the back and any of my cameras will fit in easy.

This is the best and most sensible answer IMO.
I‘ve not cycled for a while but have used panniers front and back, handlebar bag and rear rack bag to carry various items.
In your situation I agree with Dave that the rear rack bag is best - you say you don’t want quick access.
Handlebar bags are fine for light weight camera and lens - allow quick access.

It's a right pain having it on your back and the disincentive of stopping to get it off to get camera out.
With motorbikes I like to have camera ready to grab in a tankbag or in a small messenger style bag which I can clip behind me - pedalling especially standing up to pedal might be problematic.

Some interesting thoughts around the backpack that I hadn't considered - thanks for the pointers - maybe a centrally mounted bag on a rear pannier could be a better option.

I wouldn't go front handlebars - because it looks like the Starship Enterprise control panel with all the stuff I've got mounted there - and think it might be the wrong point for the camera body I have - I'm going to look into more depth as to rear mounted bags - as I wouldn't want to be damaging my back on a fall (which is the kind of thing I might do)

Last edited:
I've said this before in another thread, but I'll repeat it here anyway:

The last place you want to carry something solid like a camera is on your back. As a lifelong first-aider, I have seen some very serious injuries resulting from this. On one occasion; full quadriplegia resulting from just a water bottle. :sorry:

Mike's suggestion with the handlebar mount is a MUCH better idea. (y)
TBH I’ve not thought of this issue before but can see why it could cause injuries if you came off (let’s be honest no one is going out each ride thinking well I’m going to come off today). With common sense part of the problem is that people don’t think through every potentially foreseeable outcome or think that anything bad will happen to them as it only happens to others. Your experience shows what can happen but not everyone has the same experience/knowledge to base decisions on so hearing it from people like yourself is how we learn.

Everyone, not matter how intelligent they are, has a ‘that was a bit stupid’ moment at some point in their life. It’s just most get away with it and nothing bad happens.

Seat post mount rack
Trunk bag
The rack is quick release on your seat post if you want to lose the weight on a ride out and will take 20lb load.
Other makes of rack and bag available at different prices and quality;)
With the topeak racks you need to pick the correct rack for your frame size, most others there’s no choice.

I have an Evoc "Stage Capture" camera bag, Evoc make bags for mountain bikers, and do a side line in camera bags for mountain bike photographers, so as you can imagine the harness system is great and I am confident wearing it when tackling some steep technical trails.

006F2799-9E7A-4586-AD22-31456CCDD62A.jpg

Other options are FStop, I have a Guru, but it is too big for my mirrorless kit, and Shimoda designs.

C25BED7C-DA44-42FD-A5C0-AE6ACBA9EF51.jpg

Back