Camera bag for hill walking/ Mountaineering

Name
Steven
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

I'm looking for a bag which I can mount on the waste belt of my rucksack - or similar - which I can store away my camera and access it quickly when required. If I keep my camera in my rucksack all day I miss all the photo opportunities, but carrying around my neck for the whole journey does my head in!

The bag only really needs to hold a dslr with lens attached. A pocked for filters/batteries would be ideal but I'm looking for something as discrete as possible and something which won't get in the way too much. Any recommendations?

Thank you

Something like the original Lowepro Photo Runner should fit the bill or if you want something a little smaller most of the holster type bags should do the job.

I use the same clip on my rucksack strap, but bear in mind that the screws that fix the clip around the strap are short, and if you have thick straps it will cost an extra tenner or so for the four longer screws you will need to keep your precious camera secure.
When it is secure it works really well, and is so easy to unclip the camera to take pics.

Steve

Have you considered an over the shoulder strap - Black rapid or Q strap for cheaper.

That's what I use in the hills and have no problems on a full day walk. They are so much more comfortable
than neck straps and your camera is always straight to hand.

Steve

Have you considered an over the shoulder strap - Black rapid or Q strap for cheaper.

That's what I use in the hills and have no problems on a full day walk. They are so much more comfortable
than neck straps and your camera is always straight to hand.

I have a black rapid strap too but i find it awkward swinging forward especially going up steep climbs. It seems to end up bouncing against my front too often.
I have only used the Peak Design clip a couple of times but it seems to suit me better so far. I also used it on a trip to the zoo recently with my 2 year old, with the Black Rapid the camera would have been bouncing off his head every time i reached down to lift him.

The F-Stop Navin case is what you need, it utilises the Molle mounting system which their own range of rucksacks have on the waist belt. It could also be mounted through the sternum strap.

Hi guys, thank you for all your replies and sorry it's taken me so long to reply!

The ThinkTank Digital hosters look like exactly what I'm looking for. Are they able to be mounted directly onto a rucksack waste strap? I know they sell a belt but because I would sometimes be wearing a harness, I think the belt might get in the way. It would also be a bit of the pain when adding/taking off layers of clothing all the time.

Phil - I think the capture camera clip looks great, the only downside is that it offers no weather protection and would mean taking my rucksack off to store it away when it rained (although, I suppose I would be getting my jacket out anyway?)

Yelkrub - That looks like a good idea but far too bulky for what I'm looking for.

Hi guys, thank you for all your replies and sorry it's taken me so long to reply!

The ThinkTank Digital hosters look like exactly what I'm looking for. Are they able to be mounted directly onto a rucksack waste strap? I know they sell a belt but because I would sometimes be wearing a harness, I think the belt might get in the way. It would also be a bit of the pain when adding/taking off layers of clothing all the time.

Phil - I think the capture camera clip looks great, the only downside is that it offers no weather protection and would mean taking my rucksack off to store it away when it rained (although, I suppose I would be getting my jacket out anyway?)

Yelkrub - That looks like a good idea but far too bulky for what I'm looking for.

The ThinkTank Digital hosters look like a totally separate bag to me that will come with a should strap, looking at the detailed images on the think tank website it doesn't look like they mount to a waste strap.

Im using Fstop's Navin for a Sony A7R with L bracket and 16-35mm F4 lens and think it is a brilliant bit of kit but not sure if it will be big enough for a DSLR and lens. With it's Molle system it can be fitted on a belt or rucksack etc. I've use Thinktank Digital holsters in the past and these are also good and come in a variety of sizes and unlike the Navin they come with a water resistant cover.

Im using Fstop's Navin for a Sony A7R with L bracket and 16-35mm F4 lens and think it is a brilliant bit of kit but not sure if it will be big enough for a DSLR and lens. With it's Molle system it can be fitted on a belt or rucksack etc. I've use Thinktank Digital holsters in the past and these are also good and come in a variety of sizes and unlike the Navin they come with a water resistant cover.
Does this mean that the Navin isn't actually waterproof? How much protection does it give? With the A7 how much bigger (longer) L glass could you fit on it and still get it in the Navin? As I said, I was interested in one of these mainly for a 6D (not the biggest DSLR) and a 16-35 F4 but would be interested in what if anything bigger would fit. I've also started to think about swapping the 6D for an A7? Cheers.

It's certainly not waterproof but nor are most camera bags etc and although the fabric is probably shower resistant, the zip is always going to be a weak point. I suspect you will struggle to find a holster type bag that is genuinely waterproof. I'm happy to use it in drizzle etc but in proper rain it is placed in a dry bag inside my rucksack. Not sure about the size of 6D but suspect you might have a job to fit an A7 with adapter and Canon 16-35mm F4. I haven't tried it but the Ortlieb waterproof bag in the following link looks good

http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/ortlieb-aqua-zoom-camera-bag-e3652163?id_colour=

Thanks, I didn't actually think it would be waterproof like the Aquapack one but I thought it would be better than showerproof. Sounds like it would be a bit of a squeeze anyway. I tend to hand carry my camera or have it inside the rucksack in a dry bag and was interested in something more to hand, Ortlieb are good but heavy, I used a canoe dry bag by them as my main bag liner for a long time. The lighter weight dry bags like Exped & Sea to summit, whilst good wear out with use, something to be aware of.

I have a black rapid strap too but i find it awkward swinging forward especially going up steep climbs. It seems to end up bouncing against my front too often.
I have only used the Peak Design clip a couple of times but it seems to suit me better so far. I also used it on a trip to the zoo recently with my 2 year old, with the Black Rapid the camera would have been bouncing off his head every time i reached down to lift him.

You could use a Carabiner to connect the Black Rapid clip to your belt loop as per the Black Rapid Tether kit (see near the end of this
View: https://youtu.be/ofRvEHr0w4I
). I use one and stops the camera swinging around but easily unclipped when needed.

There are a number of small top loaders that will take your Dslr and a reasonable size zoom I have a think tank 50 and also have a Lowpro TLZ AW might prove ideal why not check those out along with the many others available ?:)
Oh and both come with rain covers :)

Last edited:
Back