Camera bags - whats your preference?

Name
D
Edit My Images
Yes
I was contemplating buying a new camera bag. I've had 2 bags in my life, both lower pro back pack style bags (one small, one big). There's some nice 'satchel' type shoulder bags that seem quite functional, fits a few lenses, and some space for bits and pieces. I would be using it as my carry on on a plane, so it needs room for paper work, ipod, wallet etc, as well as the camera stuff. I've always used my large lower pro if i only have one bag for carry on as it had a section at the top to put bits and pieces in, and if i go out for the day will fit some snacks etc in it too, its quite roomy. The satchel type bags seem less versatile for this sort of thing.

What is my question, i dont know. I like the look of the satchels (looks less like a camera bag) but carrying a weight seems less comfortable in that style bag, rather than keeping it on my back, and if i crouched down it would swing all in the way, but a back pack is harder to access.

Which sort of bag do you prefer for which occasion?

i think for comfort of walking/hiking i thikn i may stick with back pack, but interested in your thoughts

Totally depends on what you put in it. I love my Hadley pro. Fits two bodies and a laptop and a few lenses. Very comfortable to carry. Weight is not an issue due to what I've got.

I find a backpack type if walking any distance with gear.

I also have come to the conclusion that there is no such thing as a perfect camera bag :)

I've got more camera bags than my wife has and seem to have a different one for every occasion!

My most used though is either a Retrospective 20 (Shoulder Bag) or a Lowepro Flipside 500.

That said I've also got a Lowepro Passport Sling which I used on holiday and a Berghaus Rucksack that I use day to day with a padded insert in the bottom.

The problem I find with shoulder bags (specifically my Retrospective 20) is that its just not big enough to take A4 papers comfortably, I've half an eye on a Billingham bag which I could use to take a D750 and lens and my daily bits hopefully with space for an A4 notebook but I'm not sure it will fit.

ThinkTank.. Since I bought the first one have acquired 4 more for different jobs: retrospective 5, speed freak and speed demon, airport international v2 (not for airports ha ha) and airport essentials. Well thought out and robust. Snapperstuff distribute and Inhave found them to be very good people indeed. And I don't work for them! Worth a look.

thanks chipper ill check out that site.

its all a bit confusing. i thikn i may end up sticking with this bag - both my lowepros i got on sale so didnt pay a lot for them and i'm spending more than i should on this little trip so maybe a new bag isnt top of the list to be buying!

i cant attach my tripod to my current bag so i think tihs was part of my thinking on a new one

* sorry for typing lowerpro as thats clearly incorrect, muppet.

Last edited:
does anyone know where you can get the velcro inserts for Lowepro bags from ? I looked on ebay and 2 of them are 50% of the cost of a new bag which is madness

does anyone know where you can get the velcro inserts for Lowepro bags from ? I looked on ebay and 2 of them are 50% of the cost of a new bag which is madness

More often than not Velcro dividers are interchangeable between makes I mix and match as required.

Ive had:

Think Tank Retrospective 10
Think Tank Retrospective 30
Crumpler New Delhi 620

And currently use:
Lowepro Fastpack Video 350
Lowepro Flipside 400

I wish I still had the Retro 30, great bags, tempted to get another one soon. The Flipside 400 is getting a little on the small side for me now and the rear entry thing does annoy me a bit. I use the flipside for weddings and the fastpack for day to day stuff as the top pocket is handy for general things and it can hold my laptop too.

Ive had:

Think Tank Retrospective 10
Think Tank Retrospective 30
Crumpler New Delhi 620

And currently use:
Lowepro Fastpack Video 350
Lowepro Flipside 400

I wish I still had the Retro 30, great bags, tempted to get another one soon. The Flipside 400 is getting a little on the small side for me now and the rear entry thing does annoy me a bit. I use the flipside for weddings and the fastpack for day to day stuff as the top pocket is handy for general things and it can hold my laptop too.

Phillip, I understand the Retro 30 is a bit shorter and wider than the 20 (which is fairly square) - would the 30 take an A4 notepad?

Phillip, I understand the Retro 30 is a bit shorter and wider than the 20 (which is fairly square) - would the 30 take an A4 notepad?

Think i got an 30 lying around,will check it out later :)

For me i have to many bags,i think i got about 10 lying around my flat,the one that i use depend on what i am doing or carrying,i have working bags mainly shoulder types,that are easy to work from,and backpack types if i have to carry kit far :)

Think i got an 30 lying around,will check it out later :)

For me i have to many bags,i think i got about 10 lying around my flat,the one that i use depend on what i am doing or carrying,i have working bags mainly shoulder types,that are easy to work from,and backpack types if i have to carry kit far :)

Cheers Simon, I love my Retro 20 but just wish my work notebook would fit!

The lowepro website doesnt have the small bag that i have any more - my bigger one is a fastpack, but not the video one, and is slightly different to the ones now as it has not laptop section, its circa 2009. it doesnt have a weather cover though and i cant seem to find one suitable as i may need it (iceland).

i think this is the most simuilar to my small one, but mine has less straps for stability
http://www.dhgate.com/product/new-lowepro-mini-trekker-aw-camera-backpack/143446096.html

i think i may try and source a cheap shoulder bag, i didnt want to take 2 bags when i went away, due to space in suit case but ho hum. I used an old miltary style satchel around london a few weeks ago (circa 1997 with Fugees on it - classic!) which was good for access but the weight of the strap across my front was annoying (perhaps only an issue with us ladies :) )

Depends what you're carrying, over what terrain and how far.

I generally use a Retrospective 7, it's as big as I'd go with a shoulder bag but can still swallow a decent amount of gear*. But I've been adapting down to lighter and lighter kit over the last few years, and getting ruthless about selecting kit for a day out so I'm not dragging stuff around that I don't use. I still have three different sized Lowepro backpacks for distance, or those occasions I feel the need to drag along everything and the kitchen sink. For holidays I can pack the Retrospective heavily and then lighten up for day-to-day use by decanting a couple of lenses and a body into the suitcase or hotel safe.

* two Fuji bodies and up to to five lenses, depending on the lenses, plus a mini flash and the usual gubbins - cards, batteries, 7" Nexus, Anker, etc.

It's an endless futile pursuit, looking for the perfect bag. :)
Big bags are too heavy, small bags don't hold enough etc. etc.
I have bought umpteen bags, (although never backpacks, don't like them).
The "best" compromise "shoulder bag", I have found to date is the Billingham 335.

I have three bags. Thinktank roller, lowepro backpack and Domke shoulder bag. The Domke f2 is a great shoulder bag and holds everything but stays small mainly because it doesn't have very much padding, which I think is a good thing. I would recommend the USPO pad as well, which is a fantastic addition to any shoulder bag.

The problem with the retro 30 for holding notepads is the double pocket in the front, if it was one big one like the 10 it would be perfect. From memory the rear cant hold a notepad. Might be worth looking at the Pro Messenger from Lowepro.

The problem with the retro 30 for holding notepads is the double pocket in the front, if it was one big one like the 10 it would be perfect. From memory the rear cant hold a notepad. Might be worth looking at the Pro Messenger from Lowepro.

Thanks Phillip, I did wonder about that, the large front pocket on the 20 is great but not quite enough for A4!

I personally wouldn't look at another manufacturer other than F-Stop, their gear is good quality and infinitely customisable to your own needs. I've gone through a few gear changes and still have the same bag and ICU's.

Here is my Tilopa BC with the Large Pro and some gear.

Fstop03.jpg

Fstop05.jpg

Fstop07.jpg

I use a Lowepro Event 150 as the trouble with backpacks are that you have to take them off to get at equipment. The Event 150 is quite small so will not fit an A4 sized pad in the pockets. There are quite useful videos on Youtube for a lot of the popular bags to show how much you can get in them

I've got the following:

1. Think Tank Airport Take Off - mainly used to store stuff in or if I fly and want to take the lot.
2. ONA Brixton - shoulder bag, bloody expensive but it's a great bag and built to last. Doesn't look like a camera bag.
3. ONA Bowery - also expensive for what it is, but it's brown leather, looks great and shares my surname.
4. Herschel Pop Quiz - just bought this tonight actually. Basically a normal rucksack but I'll be using it for my holidays this year to Thailand and using the ONA Bowery as an insert/ second bag.

Oh and a lowepro backpack. Never use it, but it's in the cupboard waiting for a proper adventure holiday :D

Like most here I have tons of bags. For walkabout/hiking I prefer Kata for comfort and protection. For travelling I prefer a Billingham. All Billingham bags seem very well designed and well made and look inconspicuous. Sometimes it is good not to have a bag which announces that you are carrying shedloads of expensive gear around.

I have a large bag, a smaller bag, a satchel bag, and I'm looking to get a smaller satchel too. 4 bags for different uses...

Is their a price on it yet :)
The price is within the campaign :) for the messenger it currently requires a pledge of $195. Not bad at all for such a bag. But estimated only $55 below retail and that to me make the kickstarter not such a great deal actually.

yeah its doesnt seem bad for the bag, but not sure i can justify that much on a bag - thats a lot of petrol money for my holiday...

it really does look rather good though. i like the fact that it can be worn as messenger bag but also strapped up to be more secure when walking etc. and the clips are easy to undo. across the chest bags arent always that comfortable for those of us with boobs....

I've only ever bought one bag since starting out in photography - a Crumpler Pretty Boy XXL shoulder bag - can fit a camera body plus 2-3 lenses and filters\accessories. I have never had loads of camera equipment and prefer to travel light, so has always been fine for me. I've reduced my kit even more lately (one body, one zoom and one prime) so cant seen much need to change it until it falls apart.

Crumpler stuff always felt well made and long lasting, but when I got a laptop bag last year, it felt cheaper and flimsy so returned it.

I need a little bag for my recently acquired LX100 as it seems overkill to keep in a bag that's far too big, but still want to protect it.

Also was given a Kata backpack by AP magazine when they published some of my photos, but only used it a few times..

I've had a few shoulder bags, a backpack, belt bags and messenger bags and as stated a few times above, there is no 'one' perfect bag. I decided to get a couple of large hard cases to store all my gear in and a decent sized shoulder bag for everyday use. I usually take 2 bodies, 2 lenses, a flash for one body and a mic for the other for taking videos, but I can swap out for anything else if I go elsewhere.

The price is within the campaign :) for the messenger it currently requires a pledge of $195. Not bad at all for such a bag. But estimated only $55 below retail and that to me make the kickstarter not such a great deal actually.

If it could make my stuff feel as light as a feather,and perfect to work from,just maybe would be worth $195,but i think i will wait to see $55 does sound better :)

I find shoulder bags uncomfortable for hours of walking around - unless I just havnt found a suitable one. as I say, having a strap across the middle isn't always that comfy for the ladies amongst us. I liked that this bag in this campaign could be secured for more hike type walks so it doesn't flap about if you crouched or something as that seems to be why ive stuck to a back pack for so long.

decisions decisions

I can't carry much weight due a bad back, and it now has to be a backpack.
I currently have a Lowepro flipside sport 10L, which is small but can fit a body+ 70-200 f2.8 attached + 2 lenses.
what really sold it though, was a side pocket for a 1L bladder so i can stay hydrated on my walks.
The only negative is it cosy £100!!!:eek:, had it 18mths now, and i still can't believe it cost that much!:runaway:

I've got the following:

2. ONA Brixton - shoulder bag, bloody expensive but it's a great bag and built to last. Doesn't look like a camera bag.

Can I ask how you find this?

I'm looking for a new "man-bag" that will double as a camera bag, and this really looks the part. I use it for travel, so need to fit an iPad, Kindle, my X100S and Canon G16 (preferably in padded sections) as well as my Bose headphones and the other travel paraphernalia I carry. Also, I could use it as an everyday work bag, so fit my Lenovo laptop, power unit and some papers, etc.

I know they're not cheap, but from the photos, look really cool. I'm going to the US later this year, so typing with the idea of getting one out there as it'll be around £100 less than the UK (assuming the exchange rate stays favourable).

My "Plan B" is a Hadley Pro

Last edited:
Can I ask how you find this?

I'm looking for a new "man-bag" that will double as a camera bag, and this really looks the part. I use it for travel, so need to fit an iPad, Kindle, my X100S and Canon G16 (preferably in padded sections) as well as my Bose headphones and the other travel paraphernalia I carry. Also, I could use it as an everyday work bag, so fit my Lenovo laptop, power unit and some papers, etc.

I know they're not cheap, but from the photos, look really cool. I'm going to the US later this year, so typing with the idea of getting one out there as it'll be around £100 less than the UK (assuming the exchange rate stays favourable).

My "Plan B" is a Hadley Pro

I love it.

Mine is the "smoke" colour which is a grey waxy canvas with brown strap. Really well made and the kind of bag that really ages well.

They are expensive, but they are one of the few bags that will probably last you the next twenty years and still look great.

That said, I do like the Hadley Pro and was thinking about picking one up at some point as an alternative. I'm sure you'd be happy which ever you go for!

I have a Lowe Pro Vertex 200 for humping the majority of my kit around.. I am attending the Goodwood Revival this year in costume and needed something smaller and more discrete, preferably vintage looking. This was cheap, holds a 5D III with 70-200 + a lens or two and some odds and sods and looks like some old Army surplus. Used it a couple of times, seems up to the job.

Back