Camera bags - whats your preference?

That cheap one is even cheaper on a certain auction site @ around 16 last time i saw it.

I love it.

Mine is the "smoke" colour which is a grey waxy canvas with brown strap. Really well made and the kind of bag that really ages well.

They are expensive, but they are one of the few bags that will probably last you the next twenty years and still look great.

That said, I do like the Hadley Pro and was thinking about picking one up at some point as an alternative. I'm sure you'd be happy which ever you go for!
Thanks Adam :clap:

Over the years I've tried several different bag types from shoulder bags to backpacks. I've always found backpacks more comfortable than shoulder bags did to the weight of gear I carry.

The problem I've always had is I've had about 3 bags all for different things, a small backpack for day trips without the long lens, a backpack only to carry the long lens and a huge backpack to carry everything. Swapping between bags has meant I've forgotten spare cards, batteries etc

I've recently moved to a fstop backpack and it's excellent. I need to get a smaller icu for when I'm not carrying the big lens. When I do it will be easy to swap the ICUs and fill with camera and lenses. All accessories are in the bag pockets so nothing is forgotten. The wife is happy I have less backpacks too. When I added up the cost of the three bags I had it was cheaper to just have the one f-stop bag and 2 ICUs.

The f stop mountain series don't look like camera bags (unless you have a tripod attached to the outside!). In London you look like a backpacker and in the countryside a walker. Take the icu out and it's airport compliant (backpack shell can go in the case.

I personally wouldn't look at another manufacturer other than F-Stop, their gear is good quality and infinitely customisable to your own needs. I've gone through a few gear changes and still have the same bag and ICU's.

Here is my Tilopa BC with the Large Pro and some gear.

Fstop03.jpg

Fstop05.jpg

Fstop07.jpg

I've got the tilopa bc with the extra large pro icu. It's set up about the same as yours. It was amazing I got 2 bodies, 200-400, 16-35, 85mm and 70-200 f 4 (in a pouch on the outside) in it along with accessories and it still had a little room left over. I used it one a 2 night stay on skomer, it was a little heavy (to be expected with the kit I had in it, nearly 16kg in all) but it worked well.

Last edited:
Lowepro Event 150 and Hadley Large.

The Hadley is a really good camera + spare lens + carryon for travelling, and the lowepro for more adventure stuff where I don't want to bugger up my Billingham!

Rucksacks are more comfortable but majorly impractical on the go and far more pick-pocketable

Last edited:
I've gone from finding a back-pack style of bag the most comfortable (when I had my DSLR) to preferring a messenger/satchel style for my M43 gear. I've just got hold of a Domke F-803 from the classified section which is the bag I wanted originally (but couldn't justify the new price). I've got a couple of normal bags that I put an insert into when carrying the camera kit with me.

I have a Lowe Pro Vertex 200 for humping the majority of my kit around.. I am attending the Goodwood Revival this year in costume and needed something smaller and more discrete, preferably vintage looking. This was cheap, holds a 5D III with 70-200 + a lens or two and some odds and sods and looks like some old Army surplus. Used it a couple of times, seems up to the job.

ive looked at that messenger bag in fact - but im not sure there is quite enough room for all the gubbins I'd have if I used it as a carry on (and food etc for a day trip) - but would be a good one for other uses. I had used an army style satchel (a normal bag, not a camera bag - it was a Fugees bag from their 1997 tour!) but wasn't ideal.

I think ill stick to my current bag for this trip but maybe get something like this for other trips.

or maybe ill get nothing............ but im enjoying hearing what everyone elses uses andn opinions etc. I do like the look of that kickstarter bag though....

Think tank retro 20. Can take a body with 70-200 2.8 attached plus at least 2 other lenses, more if stacked vertically with the dividers and big pocket for flash etc. Not forgetting the gadget pockets, rear laptop pocket and side pockets. Nice looking and comfy.

Anyone use Thule bags? Seen a few on Amazon and they look like nice bags. I have had a couple of TTRR7 bags and although great they are heavy for me so have been using a Crumpler Light Delight 6000, but I'm looking for something with a little more padding.

Also, anyone with health issues and has a bag preference? I'm thinking of getting a backpack and just wondering if people prefer these over shoulder bags?? The bag I have been looking at is a Lowepro Flipside Sport 10L. Theres no stockists close to me to try, so would have to be an online purchase.

I generally use a Lowepro Slingshot as a general walk-around bag with minimal gear. I got an Amazon basics bag for flying. It's a decent bag apart from the build quality. The stitching is starting to come undone by the straps after only a few months.

Back