Camera Bags

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
No
Evening all. Just a quick question.

Camera bag or camera back pack? What are your preferences and recommendations?

Thanks.

I prefer a back pack as I find them easier to carry especially if I have to walk any distance.

If carrying a lot a back pack, otherwise a shoulder bag.

If you have to shoot more than walk, like it is for me, I prefer by far
the bag. Six lenses + one body + one flash —plus the combo in my
hands= my working arsenal.

Last edited:
Depends on what kind of gear you are carrying and what access you need/want

For example, my hadley pro has served me well for the last 6 years. I like the look and accessibility of this shoulder bag, and it fits my equipment (mid size dslr plus 2 lenses plus travel equipment). However, it will definitely not serve some groups of people, eg hikers

I've both and it really depends on what I'm doing / what I need to carry.

I've the lowepro Mini trekker backpack which works very well for me - i think there is a new model out now...

camera bag is more easily accessible but if i was carrying any significant weight for an extended period of time i prefer a backpack.

Anything that doesn't look like a camera bag/backpack. I've a think tank retrospective that does the trick...

A

I've found it's all depends on the weight I'm going to carry. If I only have a small lens and camera then I'm happy with only a shoulder bag. If I have several lenses, camera and tablet/laptop then it's backpack for me. I'm happier with a backpack as usually I'm carrying a quite a bit of weight.

For me it depends on type of photography.
If I'm doing street photography - I use my Billingham.
Trekking or Travelling - Backpacks (Lowepro Fastback 150/350 and ProTactic)

I use bike messenger style bags usually either a Timbuk2 classic messenger or a Bagaboo workhorse depending
on how much I need to carry. I bought some padded inserts from Ebay so I can customise them to suit the gear
I need with me.

As I use the bike a lot I find the messenger bags are perfect as they have the second strap which makes it as
stable as rucksack and distributes the weight well for on the bike or walking around. When I start
shooting I switch to using the main strap so it's just like using a standard shoulder bag.

The best thing for me is the fact that they don't look like camera bags which is handy when you're wandering
home after a gig at 3am. Hopefully most would be thieves will look at my now rather scruffy bag and think
they're more likely to score a bag of clothes than a few grand of camera gear! :)

Prefer using a shoulder bag but weight dependent a backpack can be better. Currently using a Crumpler Proper Roady Photo 7500 which is a great size for me.

I find shooting weddings and corporate events that moving around with a backpack is easier. I have several versions/sizes from Lowepro and take the smallest I can get away with for each event

A backpack is by far the best carry (weight balanced across both shoulders). Some (better for less gear) have side entry, so you shrug one shoulder out of its strap & swing the bag round & under to get at your stuff. With others (better for tons of gear) you have to take the bag off - a bit more laborious & less instant.

What else do you need to carry - clothing, lunch, shopping?

For a camera body & a couple of lenses I like a shoulder bag (with strap round the neck & across the body). For camera body & one lens, I prefer a pouch with shoulder strap - that much neater whilst out & about - when you need greater security or weather-protection it can be stashed inside the general-purpose rucksack that you might have along anyway.

It relates to where you go & how far. If you rarely step more than a couple of metres from your car, it hardly matters at all.

Last edited:
I prefer a shoulder bag, and use a combination of Hadley Pro's and Larges. I like being able to easily swing the bag around to the front, and work out of it without having to stop or put the ground on the bag.

I had a pack (Lowepro) but switched to a shoulder bag as my kit expanded (Billingham 445). I've since added a Hadley. I prefer the convenience of the shoulder bag and the less amount of heat generated by not having a pack on. For walking I use a proper walking sac and put the camera & lenses inside it which I find more comfortable than the compromise of a camera backpack which are less well suited for the non-photographic stuff I carry as well.

Last edited:
I use both depending on what and where I'm shooting.

If I'm walking miles and want to carry quite a bit I use a Tamrac backpack which is great as it has a separate top section for non-camera bits and side water bottle pockets. It also has a chest strap and waist strap making it very comfy for long use (spreads the weight better). If I'm just strolling say along the beach then I prefer a shoulder bag. Like @AlistairD posted above I prefer something that doesn't look like a camera bag and went with a ThinkTank Retro 7.

Edit - The Tamrac is the Adventure 9

Last edited:
Back