Beginner Camera Case and Bags

Name
Gareth
Edit My Images
Yes
So I'm looking to see how everyone stores their equipment when not in use. With Two young children (The oldest has taken a keen interest in my camera of late), I'm thinking of getting a heavy duty flight case to store my camera equipment when in the house. I'm also looking for a decent camera backpack for when out on the go. Anyone have any suggestions?

I bought a peli case on black friday, a peli 1510 for £135 which I knew was a bargain and tough as anything. Just had a dibond sheet laser cut for inside the lid so I can fix my laptop in and some other storage. Would highly recommend but look for the sales!

Backpack wise I have a sling style K and F concept for when travelling light and a lowe pro aw400 ii for when going with extra kit. It can weight a fair bit when fully loaded, it was just under 15kg when I went abroad this august. I had attach load of the equipment to me so it fell within hand luggage allowance as I went through!

Osprey Kamber 42L
Manfrotto Off Road 30L
Lowepro Flipside 400AWII

In order of newest to oldest. As default, my Sony gear lives in the Kamber & my film gear lives in the Flipside when stored.

Peli cases are pretty indestructable, and also have padlock attachments if you wish to limit access to the contents. Backpacks - I use a Lowepro Vertex AW300 and have yet to find anything that wants me to change. Have a Lowepro Stealth 650 shoulder bag and am looking to get a roller case as well, as different jobs dictate different cases.

I had a Peli 1560 for several years, but change in circumstances meant this was left at home, so sold it late last year.

I don't have a specific bag for storage at home, just whatever was last used plus kit in the others.

Last edited:
I have 2 of the Peli 1600's and use a Lowepro 400 for shoots and I have a large Billingham too, but I don't use that much :)

Most of my gear is in my lowpro vertex aw (something or other).
As for what to use when out and about, I think that slightly depends on what you're doing. If You're carrying lots of gear and you're off landscaping then a good backpack style is a good choice, if however you're walking around the streets or just out for the day with the family, then a messenger type bag would be a better choice. It's just much more accessible, easier to get things in and out of whilst on the go.

Think I have a Lowepro 400AW in the house which stores everything. Its big, strong and has lots of protection. I keep all of my cleaning gear, filters, big lenses and any other s***e i've accumulated over the years. For daily use, I use a smaller Lowepro (maybe 250?) and just move the dividers around inside for the days outing. Sometimes i'm just taking big lenses, other days, smaller landscape lenses with filter kit etc. I bought both bags off FB Marketplace for a really good price.

We use the lowepro AW 400 and 500 series, both bags are near enough identical except the 500 is bigger, they have decent rain covers (been out in full downpour with no probs) tripod straps, well padded and it's more or less impossible to steal the main kit while on as they open on the inside. I've had a shed load of weight (mental) in the 500 and the straps are still good. If mine clapped out I'd buy another any day.

So I'm looking to see how everyone stores their equipment when not in use. With Two young children (The oldest has taken a keen interest in my camera of late), I'm thinking of getting a heavy duty flight case to store my camera equipment when in the house. I'm also looking for a decent camera backpack for when out on the go. Anyone have any suggestions?

I store my kit in a few of these soft 'insert' type case/bag things - £19. Cheap, and easy to store anywhere really, then pick and choose whatever items are needed on a particular day.

That then goes in either my minimalist walkabout bag, or medium-size camera and three lenses bag, or the big 'everything covered' bag :)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B06XX9Y36G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Last edited:
If you're thinking of a hard case, look at Vanguard as well as Peli cases

For a backpack, it's very personal and you need to get one that is comfortable for you. Try to find a shop with a good selection or maybe even go the Photography show where you will be able to inspect all the ranges from all the manufacturers.

Bags are very subjective, I've tried them all over the years and it greatly depends on how much kit you have/want to carry. I'm settled at the moment with the LowePro Photo Sport 200 for daily carry of my Leica kit which at it's heaviest is 3 M9 bodies and 6 lenses plus a Fuji X-T2 with 16-55 f2.8.
For landscape trips I have a larger kit which is either the Fuji GFX 50S plus 3 lenses and filters etc or a Bronica SQ-A1 with 5 lenses 2 backs prism finder and the filter kit (Lee 100 System) I use an F Stop Ajna backpack, I have 2 large inserts one for each kit set and swap them around for whatever shoot I am on. All of the kit lives in a cabinet (lockable) and I just choose which set to take and leave the rest in the cabinet which I lock when we are out of the house.

Last edited:

You already got the idea. I would say that, this is a good plan. Well, as long as the hard case does have a means to padlock it to stop the kids opening it.

But don't you have any other lockable storage? A desk cupboard with a lockable key? Under stairs cupboard that you could lock?

I have a built-in wardrobe, and did drill a hole in the door, install a deadbolt key in it, so it becomes a lockable wardrobe, and I place my camera bags on the floor and lock it. Usually the clothes in the wardrobe is rarely worn so it does not bother me locking them up.

If you think about it: Would you prefer or find it a bother, if you were to...

Have a hard case and a soft bag, unlock the hard case, pick any equipment you need, move them to the soft bag, go out and do some photography. Come home, put the kit back into the hard case.

Or...

Open a lockable cupboard, grab the soft bag, and off you go. After coming home, just put the bag into the lockable cupboard and lock it.

Secondhand think-tank Retrospective 30.

Minimalist with good features.

I keep a shelf in the wardrobe that I use when I am leaving lens/ accessories behind.

I am currently trying to show my five year the camera in video mode for his YouTube videos

Have a look at Lomo, supplier of waterproof gear based in Glasgow. They do their own brand Peli type cases which are much less expensive.

Back