Beginner Camera for Travel and Hiking

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys,

I've currently got a G7x which is amazing but I feel limited by how wide I can get, how much zoom and the low light performance. I mainly take shots of landscapes and some wildlife.
I've been looking at upgrading to a small mirrorless camera for travel and hiking - any recommendations would be great

Things I think I'd like;
Light as possible
Touch Screen focus
Tilting/Articulating Screen
Image stabilisation? (I won't be carrying a tripod)
Weather sealing? (Not sure how important this might be)

To make this thread a bit more interesting - here's a couple of pics of our trip to patagonia

Even I have a D3200 but feel limited. Mainly looking for landscape shots. Which camera would be best under $700-800?

If you buy used you could pick up a Nikon D700. Full frame workhorse.

Micro four-thrids! I have an Olympus EM5 mark ii and it is great for hiking, small, light, great range of lenses, weather sealed, fully articulating screen, image quality in a lot of circumstances is indistinguishable from my full-frame DSLR. It also has a good degree of ISO invariance so you can underexpose by quite a lot to protect highlights in bright skies, etc and then pull up the shadows in post processing. (But don't be put off by that jargon, it just means you have options for the future)

Here's an example
Icicle (1) by Chris H, on Flickr

Last edited:
Hi guys,

I've currently got a G7x which is amazing but I feel limited by how wide I can get, how much zoom and the low light performance. I mainly take shots of landscapes and some wildlife...

I think things to think about are what you want to do with your pictures and how you're going to view them.

If all you want is to view whole pictures on screen or print quite big... say fill an A4 sheet... then maybe almost anything will do but if you want to pixel peep or crop like crazy and print the size of a barn maybe you'll need a much more capable camera.

As per Chris I'd recommend taking a good look at Micro Four Thirds and also maybe 1" cameras but as the Canon G7X is I think 1" maybe you wont be happy with a different make 1" camera?

I have both MFT and a 1" camera with a 25-250mm (or there abouts) zoom lens and although I'd say that the 1" camera can't match the image quality of MFT for viewing whole pictures on screen and also for reasonably large prints it's easily good enough.

Good luck choosing.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input everyone.
Budget is around £800-1000 for body 1 or 2 lenses
I think I'll either end up with an em5 ii or maybe X-T20, I'll wait and find the best deal!

If you're including MFT have a look at the Panny GX80, I think it's very good value for money.

Back