Camera Gear Stolen

Name
Alex Nail
Edit My Images
Yes
Barring the low probability of someone returning my gear it seems that I have had £4500 worth of equipment stolen from outside my house. (my fault on so many levels)

The key points are: if any of you see anything come up for sale and you think it might by mine I would really appreciate any info
Also, please be wary of buying second hand items that match the descriptions!

Here is what I lost (all unboxed):
Canon 5dmkII – serial number 2931525414- minor scrapes around shutter button and had Kirk L-plate attached, no strap attached – £1100
Canon 16-35 II – minor knock and scratch on front filter thread- £1100
Canon 70-200 f4 IS – serial number 29592 (though I think it would be 529592) – new condition in Canon lens bag- £900
Gitzo GT2541EX tripod – plenty of scratches – £500
RRS BH-40 – plenty of scratches- £300
Lee filters – in a filter pouch- £300
Kirk L-Plate – £80
Berghaus fleece – £30
Intervalometer – £20
Deuter 28L rucksack – £40 (everything was inside, it is grey and blue)
Dell u2311 monitor – £150

And if you want to read the story: http://www.alexnail.com/blog/news-updates/loststolen-camera-kit/

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks,

Alex

Ouch, that is two very expensive oversights!
I can only hope that you get it back, presumably reported to the police?
Also, list it HERE

Alex, it might be worth dropping an e-mail to the Devon Camera Centre and LCE in Exeter just in case the kit's stayed local rather than going (what I'm told is) the usual route up the M5. You could try Cash Converters and CEx too.

That's gotta sting.
Hope you see some success.

Alex,

Sorry to hear about your problem. I've passed the details onto members of the camera club I belong to. Fingers crossed for a positive outcome for you.

A very expensive oversight, but I think we've all had "If only..............." experiences. I have, anyway, it's easy to do something like this when you're distracted.

Your gear's been missing since yesterday afternoon now, so there's still a chance that it might be returned, but I suppose that gets slimmer as time goes on. I wish you luck and I hope you get at least some of it back.

Sorry to hear that Alex, until I read your blog I thought that your gear had gone missing from Peter Tavy, and I thought ***** cos I live at Mary Tavy.

Could have happened anywhere I suppose, anyway sorry again and good luck.

Tim

I take it you've contacted the local police, there are honest people out there..I learnt that when I dropped my wallet while getting out of the car...reported it to the police because of cards and drivers licence etc...did the cancel all cards and a couple of days later got a call from the police saying it had been handed in (y) not a thing missing including the cash in there...this was not is a posh part of town either :) so there are good people out there

:(
I've linked to this from the [thread=450516]The stolen equipment list thread[/thread].

Reading the blog post, have you checked with the council to see if the stuff was taken as rubbish?

I would contact your local police station enquiry desk or department that deals with lost /found property. I know you have already contacted the police but if they have submitted a crime report for theft, then later someone walks in and hands it in as found property or reports it as found property they may not tally up the crime with the found property. If it's not claimed for 28 days then the finder gets to keep it!

Also check and give lists to cash converters and any other local pawn shops.

Unlucky fella, but a pro photographer with their kit not insured - seriously?

Hope you manage to track your kit down, Alex.

Under the circumstances, I think the fact it was uninsured is irrelevant as I can't see anyone paying out for unsecured kit. Always worth reading the small print - you might be surprised by what isn't covered.

Hope you manage to track your kit down, Alex.

Under the circumstances, I think the fact it was uninsured is irrelevant as I can't see anyone paying out for unsecured kit. Always worth reading the small print - you might be surprised by what isn't covered.

Well you'd be wrong

Theft of property when unattended is covered on mine

Well, i'd be wrong for your particular policy then Drew. Who are you with?

Might be worth looking into, as I have now heard of 3 people losing kit under these circumstances recently, and I know I wouldn't be covered for unattended and unsecured kit. I suspect that to be the case for many.

Well you'd be wrong

Theft of property when unattended is covered on mine

Fair enough, but I think the point was worth making. Insurance policies vary, and many people don't read them carefully. There's also the general duty to take reasonable care to avoid or mitigate loss, which an insurer might raise to justify repudiation of a claim. It usually depends on the circumstances, and on whether the loss was accidental or aggravated by negligence.

A friend of mine left his camera in a cave when he was overnighting during a hike in the Drakensberg. Someone else I know left his camera under a towel and unattended at the beach when he went swimming, and it was stolen. The first claim was paid and the second wasn't. Two different insurers were involved, which might have been a factor, but I suspect that the second claim was repudiated because they took the view that he was negligent, and a reasonable person wouldn't have done this.

Yeh, one thing you can guarantee with insurance companies is they'll try and wriggle out of everything

Unlucky fella, but a pro photographer with their kit not insured - seriously?

Insurance is a way of managing risk. Anyone thinking of buying insurance can look at the probability of having their gear stolen/damaged and look at the costs of insurance. If my quote was £200/year then if I only damaged/lost £100 a year on average then the insurance is wasted.

Given that I do not use my equipment around people, never leave it unattended (until now) or in a car, and always have it on my person, I felt that the expense of specific camera insurance was unjustified. I was wrong.

Incidentally, although I do earn income from my photography it is neither my profession or my livelihood.

I could interpret your comment as being a little smug, but instead I'll just assume that you didn't think it would have occurred to me by now to get insurance. So thank you for the advice

Alex

Hi Alex,

I really wouldn't kick yourself or say you were wrong to think that specific insurance was unjustified. I am sure you are in the majority. And I am sure that most insurance companies would not pay out under your unfortunate circumstances. Kirk L-plates don't come up often so that's probably a good item to keep a look out for? That's if the goon who has your kit bothers to find out what it is of course.

When Drew lets us know who he's insured with, we can all go and obtain the appropriate insurance. It was actually a genuine question as I am sure we have all stood around absorbed in our photography and not been watching our bags 100% of the time. I know I've done it with incoming tides and my bag being somewhere behind me up the beach. I've not come across a policy which would cover this though, so I am genuinely interested.

Back