Camera Help

Edit My Images
No
Hey guys,

I haven't been on here for years, but I am thinking about getting a new camera for my up-coming holiday to Japan.

I currently have a Nikon D5000, which works well and I love.... however, it is old and doesn't have all the mods cons.

I nearly bought a Fujifilm x100 to take to Japan, but have now decided against that... and am now after suggestions....

I want to be able to still use my D5000 lenses and I want my new camera to be better in low light situations and not be much heavier than my D5000 (only small and have little hands).

You may all think I should stick with my D5000 as I wouldn't see much difference for the cost implications...

All suggestions, advice, recommendations welcome.

Thanks in advance.

We are planning/booked for Japan next year. I will be taking my nikon D810 and 24-70mm lens+50mm prime lens. Having just come back from Norway although I took the 70-200 mm lens I really didn't need it. If you looking for a new camera do take a look at the D800/D810 anyway , the 35mg pixel does really allow a lot of photo cropping without loss of picture quality. Not only that but have a 2 card slot system gives instant backup to every photo

We are planning/booked for Japan next year. I will be taking my nikon D810 and 24-70mm lens+50mm prime lens. Having just come back from Norway although I took the 70-200 mm lens I really didn't need it. If you looking for a new camera do take a look at the D800/D810 anyway , the 35mg pixel does really allow a lot of photo cropping without loss of picture quality. Not only that but have a 2 card slot system gives instant backup to every photo

This looks like a lovely camera, but slightly out of my price range at present.

Hello, I have:

Nikon 18-55mm VR
Nikon 55-200mm VR
Nikon 35mm 1.8

So where do think you are 'losing light' performance, your first two lenses I assume are the 'kit' lenses, so not stellar performers in low light (being aperture limited), but the 35mm F1.8 should be great in low light.

You could look at changing the 18-55 to something like the Sigma 17-50 F2.8 which will give you a constant F2.8 throughout the range, not being overly familar with Nikon bodies, you would have to chacke whether this lens will autofocus with a D500.

Other options are to upgrade the body to something newer, probably gain about a stop or so of ISO performance

Alternatively buy that X100 and take it as well to Japan, gives you more options.

Last edited:
So where do think you are 'losing light' performance, your first two lenses I assume are the 'kit' lenses, so not stellar performers in low light (being aperture limited), but the 35mm F1.8 should be great in low light.

You could look at changing the 18-55 to something like the Sigma 17-50 F2.8 which will give you a constant F2.8 throughout the range, not being overly familar with Nikon bodies, you would have to chacke whether this lens will autofocus with a D500.

Other options are to upgrade the body to something newer, probably gain about a stop or so of ISO performance

Alternatively by that X100 and take it as well to Japan, gives you more options.

Thanks for this.

After looking at the X100 in more details, it appears to have the same sensor as my D5000; but it is smaller and lighter.

I never really take my 35mm off the camera these days.

I was thinking of a new body (I wish I could buy myself a new human body too haha) and using my new iPhone as well.

Thanks for this.

After looking at the X100 in more details, it appears to have the same sensor as my D5000; but it is smaller and lighter.

I never really take my 35mm off the camera these days.

I was thinking of a new body (I wish I could buy myself a new human body too haha) and using my new iPhone as well.

The X100 will have a different field of view though as its a fixed 23mm lens (35mm Full Frame Equivalent) whereas your existing 35mm lens gives you 50mm Full Frame equivalent.

I have done several holidays only with an X100 - the original (and more recently with only an X100F)

The AF speed is a little pedestrian on the original X100, maybe a bit of shock coming from a DSLR, but the resultant images can be sublime.

Any late DX camera will have notably better low light performance than your D5000 ... if you are used to the layout of the D5000 then a later model D5xxx would make a sensible upgrade (you can often find the previous model still for sale at discounted prices so that would be a D5500 I think as the D5600 is the latest in that line up).

If you wanted more external controls then the D7200 or D7500 are good value and offer a similar layout so the learning curve isn't too great. The D500 is the top of the range DX body but has a different layout than the D7xxx & D5xxx bodies.

If you fancied something different with similar sensor performance to the later Nikons then Fuji have some very nice mirrorless bodies, for an ILC the XT-2 is very tempting.

The X100 will have a different field of view though as its a fixed 23mm lens (35mm Full Frame Equivalent) whereas your existing 35mm lens gives you 50mm Full Frame equivalent.

I have done several holidays only with an X100 - the original (and more recently with only an X100F)

The AF speed is a little pedestrian on the original X100, maybe a bit of shock coming from a DSLR, but the resultant images can be sublime.

Now I am very torn. I thought if I had my DSLR & a good phone camera I wouldn’t need the bridge. Arrrrfh decisions.

Any late DX camera will have notably better low light performance than your D5000 ... if you are used to the layout of the D5000 then a later model D5xxx would make a sensible upgrade (you can often find the previous model still for sale at discounted prices so that would be a D5500 I think as the D5600 is the latest in that line up).

If you wanted more external controls then the D7200 or D7500 are good value and offer a similar layout so the learning curve isn't too great. The D500 is the top of the range DX body but has a different layout than the D7xxx & D5xxx bodies.

If you fancied something different with similar sensor performance to the later Nikons then Fuji have some very nice mirrorless bodies, for an ILC the XT-2 is very tempting.

Thank you for this. I have no problems with my D5000 apart from in low light. I’ve looked after it well and it works as good as new.

Any other suggestions before I decide??

Take your camera and 35mm f1.8 and a compact for the wider or longer shots.

When on holiday or days out I take my Sony A7 and a 35mm lens and a 1" compact with a 24-250mm lens.

Just another option to think about :D

Back