camera or lens problem - you decide

Name
Nathan Hulse
Edit My Images
Yes
Hope someone can help.
I'm using a canon 20D and 17-40 f4.
I've recently been experiencing problems with my camera not firing. At first I thought it was because it hadn't found focus. I switched to manual focus, and the problems was still there, then I thought maybe the camera couldn't decide on expousre, so again I set manual settings, still had trouble. I have switched the camera off, and removed the battery which seems to clear. Yesterday te same problem, this time I noticed in the display the aperture read 0.0 as it would if no lens was connected to the camera. I think I've had this problem with another lens than the one that seems to appear with the most frequent.
My question is:- is this likely to be the lens or the camera.

First thing I'd do is try cleaning the lens contacts, probably be as well to clean the body contacts too.

yep that is what i was suffering with, my 100-400 used to do the 0.0 thing, cleaned the lens and body contacts carefully with a pecpad and some eclipse (Canon Service centre told me to do this) and its been fine ever since ! :)

if your unsure if its a lens or body problem, try fitting another lens and see if the problem persists, if it does then its likely to be a body problem, but its definetly worth haveing a clear of the contacts on both lens and body to ensure good electrical contact is made

I had an intermittent focus problem recently using the 1.4TC. Cleaning the contacts solved the problem completely.

Back