Camera problem help please!

Tori

Suspended / Banned
Name
Tori
Edit My Images
Yes
My ma has a very old Fujinon DL1000 which seems to have jammed. The exposure count no longer displays, and it's halfway through a film. Is it likely to be the film jamming, or a problem with the camera? Also, can I get the film out myself? Or am I best leaving it to someone who knows what they're doing? Thanks :)

You may have more luck in the film section Tori (y)

I have no idea of the year Adam :( There is a little hole on the bottom of it though. Would that wind the film on?

If that's correct Chris then maybe you can do what admins do and move this post for me please.

Already did it before I posted Tori ;)

did a ''google'' = nil...:shrug:

if battery driven, the shutter wont work so you wont be able to wind on from the last frame

maybe.....?....I'd replace any batteries as first step

john

So do I poke the hole or not? :shrug:

Is that a compact? I had a fuji DL10 something or other. Early 80s model.

You push the button underneath in and lift the advance mechanism and a bit flops out to make a windy handle. You then wind it backwards to get the film to wind back on. If that button has got jammed in then that could explain why it won't advance. From what I remember to make that button pop back out you have to open the back like you're taking out the film. Worth trying in the dark :)

If it is manual advance then the above should sort it. If motor wind then I'd try new batteries and see whether it unsticks itself. If not trying popping the back open in the dark and reshutting it.

Any chance you could post a picture of the camera and the 'hole' before you go poking it :eek:

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104074&page=5

Post 112, fourth camera down. That's it. I can't take a pic as I don't have my camera here :( sorry.

It sounds like the battery has failed and poking the hole when the battery is dead will have no effect. Your best bet is to take it in to a camera shop and get a new battery, shouldn't be more than £4-5 on the High St. Or if you're not going to use the camera again if you take it in to Jessops and tell them you want the film processed they may be able to get the film out for you without selling you a battery.

The battery is fine as the camera will still zoom etc. I've poked the hole now (I was brave) the film has stopped buzzing, so I opened it up and it's wound on fine :) So I'm guessing at least the pictures are recoverable. Could the film of jammed? Or is it more likely to be a camera fault? I have no clue about film cameras at all :shrug:

The battery is fine as the camera will still zoom etc. I've poked the hole now (I was brave) the film has stopped buzzing, so I opened it up and it's wound on fine :) So I'm guessing at least the pictures are recoverable. Could the film of jammed? Or is it more likely to be a camera fault? I have no clue about film cameras at all :shrug:

Bit of both maybe, just try a new film and see if it goes through. If you get the same problems just press that button again and (well done btw.lol ) dont worry about it.
I've had plenty of cameras over the years that didn't work properly throughout, as long as they can still take pictures who cares I say.

Thanks alot. I'll try a new film today and see what happens! :)

Films do jam sometimes, although O've never known why. As a kid I always found 36 rolls would jam but 24s wouldn't in my old naff compacts. Then what hapened last month? Yep a Fuji 800z roll jammed up halfway through rewinding in my Super A SLR!

This was a 36 film too :( Hopefully it was just the film, or I'll be explaining digital to my 74 year old ma! :LOL:

Thanks for all the tips. I put a new film in the camera today and it seems fine. I took the film in to get developed and the man was really helpful and said he'd call me to let me know if the film got chewed or not. :)

Back