Camera Storage Query

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi everyone, I don't know if this is the right place to post this but if it isn't then please let me know. I'm currently storing my cameras in a 'Really Useful' brand plastic box with some silica gel sachets in. The box is not airtight so allows air circulation. Is this a good way to store my gear especially in this current UK humidity? Thanks!

I suspect the camera was used… if so, I would not
do it any other way — but I'd make sure to look and
smell in the box every three months or so! :cool:

I'd have thought a box is likely to cause humidity, which is not really an issue anyway in the UK. The fact that the box is not airtight doesn't mean there's good air circulation. For that, you need a shelf.

All my kit is stored in camera bags, in a cupboard in my office. No issues whatever.

Last edited:
I'd have thought a box is likely to cause humidity

The only problem with a closed box is that it traps
whatever is inside and "things" like to grow in. The
box used here has openings, John! :cool:

I'd have thought a box is likely to cause humidity, which is not really an issue anyway in the UK. The fact that the box is not airtight doesn't mean there's good air circulation. For that, you need a shelf.

All my kit is stored in camera bags, in a cupboard in my office. No issues whatever.

Hmm the lid does not completely cover the box, I have previously stored vinyl records in here with no issue and no humidity. Do you think I should be ok?

Yes i'm serious! I'd hate for my cameras to be ruined due to improper storage!

Daresay the plastic box will be OK, bit of padding might be a good idea, alternatively keep it in the bag you carry it about in.

Its not perishable so don't worry too much otherwise it will become a cupboard (or in your case) crate queen.

For storage in the house I just keep the lenses and camera in a cupboard on their own which is in a heated room. I could use one of my ICUs from the camera bags but don't want to make it easier for them to pick one bag with everything in if I'm burgled. Silca gel is only good for a short duration and it needs to be recharged.

Can't see a problem with humidity in the UK personally. Just give the camera a chance to cool down or heat up when taking it inside to outside and outside to inside i.e. leave it in the camera bag until it's slowly reached that temperature. In winter if I want to look at the images straight away when I'm home I just taken the memory card out whilst I'm outside then leave the camera in the bag until it's warmed up before putting back in the cupboard.

You really need to chill out. I have cameras all over the place, in bags, on windowsills, in drawers , in the car.
They will be fine wherever you put them unless it’s in the oven or bathtub.

I would not keep my camera gear in a plastic box, not sure why just seems wrong. Perhaps the lack of padding and not sure how to stack within the box. I keep mine in various camera bags. I am very careful with my gear, probably over careful. If you see some of the equipment used by pros at sports events it looks like they have been dragged along the floor, but they still great shots. Cameras are quite hardy.

I keep my camera in a pelican type case... that is sealed so hope that’s okay?

Agreed. Good ventilation is essential. In a very humid climate, not sure..........

So, am I creating potential problems by storing my cameras and lenses on open shelves in a cool bedroom? I have never stored them in bags. Does fungus become more of a problem if items are stored in bags rather than out in the “open”

I've had dozens of cameras over the years and just store them in a clean cupboard out of sunlight. Had thousands of pounds worth of kit and in all the years I've never had any problems. Only time I've had an issue is when I was abroad and got a tiny insect in my OM10. Took the battery out and wrapped it in click film, overnight in the freezer and never saw it again.

Fungus can be a concern, some houses can be humid enough especially in summer when heating is not on for weeks.
A plastic box would be OK if it is kept dry ideally with some more serious dehumidifying option. Fungus can get into cameras as well as lenses.
Most people aren't going to have a problem though unless they pack things away damp or leave them against a damp wall or something.

I had some lenses go mouldy in a plastic storage box under a spare bed. The room was pretty cold and damp in the winter months and some moisture was obviously in the box. They were all old lenses that were affected so the argument might be that the fungus was there before going in but I guess I’ll never know, they certainly cultivated in the box enough for me to notice. These days my camera gear lives on my desk ready to go :)

Back