Camera that uploads to ipad (not iphone camera)

Name
At FL380
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all

I’m in need of ‘up to date’ advice as currently looking for a small good quality camera that you can view and transmit the photos taken to an ipad.

I own a couple of DSLR’s and last camera i purchased was a 5Dmk3 so was a while ago, but need something a little more compact and just want to use it in conjunction with an ipad to reduce the amount equipment i need to carry.

Interchangeable lenses are a bonus but not an absolute must and will be predominantly used for day to day, potrait, nature, scenic, work and pleasure shots.

My main criteria is to be able to transfer from the camera directly to an iPad and compact enough to fit in a small bag.

I haven't looked at the market for a while so Is there such a camera with this capability??

Thank you for your help.

Ok so a very quick search leads me to believe with a simple lightening connetor or adapter i can either plug in an SD card reader or the camera directly to an ipad.
Anyone currently do this and had any issues...

Are there any quality compact cameras offering near Canon 5d type qualities and image reproduction, budget not an issue but would like to keep below £1k for a compact.
Cheers

Off the top of my head the smallest interchangeable lens system is micro four thirds. The Olympus Pen series has wi-fi and some models have Bluetooth and is compact.

The Pen series does not have an EVF so if that is required then look at the OM series.

Ok so a very quick search leads me to believe with a simple lightening connetor or adapter i can either plug in an SD card reader or the camera directly to an ipad.
Anyone currently do this and had any issues...

Are there any quality compact cameras offering near Canon 5d type qualities and image reproduction, budget not an issue but would like to keep below £1k for a compact.
Cheers
There are no problems with using an SD card reader. There are several/many that offer wireless transfer the issue will be how well and smoothly it’s implemented.

I occasionally use the WiFi from Olympus cameras to transfer images to iPad/iPhone. I use OIShare, which is the Olypmus software. Only jpg images are visible, not ORFs, as far as I can see.

I have used an SD Card reader in the past, using an SD card from a Nikon camera, but not for a few years.

Last edited:
Some points to consider, depending on the camera brand etc you probably won’t be able to transfer RAW files over WiFi (from what I remember you need a cable for RAW) or if it does then it may be very slow. iPads have a limited amount of storage space so how much data are you going to transfer? When I transfer jpegs I normally just transfer a few good ones and work on them in Snapseed. The quality is fine for Instagram but your JPEG must be good in the first place.

Last edited:
Ok, so i now understand its perfectly doable by either cable connection, SD reader or wifi,
There appears to be a huge choice of cameras available and not being stuck on one brand im happy to choose a recommended camera from you guys, ill go check out any recommendations over next few days.
I would like one with an EVF if I'm being honest, interchangeable lenses would be nice and semi compant.

Anyone with knowledge of latest offerings and experience

Any help is very much appreciated

Fuji X100V is an excellent camera but is fixed lens so it might not suit you. It does have Bluetooth/wifi so no need for a connector.

As you have never used an EVF I would recommend that you try the camera out. Cheap EVFs can make for a terrible shooting experience plus some people are more sensitive to the refresh rate flicker and panning issues.

Thank you all for the replies thus far.....

Im fortunate to be near a multitude of camera shops, i haven't visited for a while hence my lack of knowledge of the latest cameras, im also one of those who hates browsing thus if i had a list i could work through i could specifically test those.
I can budget creep for the right one

IIRC there was an SD card available called an eyeFI card that had a built in WiFi arrangement to allow transfer from a conventional camera - provided it takes SD cards and not CF.

Canon M5/M50/M6II

Can use your Canon lenses with an adapter but also has a limited range of ef-m glass. Does wi-fi, Bluetooth, nfc and Usb.

Popped into a local store a couple of days ago and learnt this exact thing. Cheers

Also realised that the good quality lenses are price wise on a par with DSLR fast lenses which i shouldnt have been surprised about but i was!!!!!

Back