camera upgrade advice

Name
stephen
Edit My Images
Yes
ok so i have a canon 7d mk2 which i use for wildlife,
also a 5d mk3 for landscapes etc.
my thoughts are to get one camera instead of the two.
( low budget ) what would you go for/ advise me to get ?

cheers steve.

Stick with one of the ones you have got. Why does your wildlife camera not do landscape? Why does your landscape camera not do wildlife? If you get your timing right, you don't need 14fps.....8 or 9 is still very fast!

WANT and NEED are two very different desires!

Last edited:
Stick with one of the ones you have got. Why does your wildlife camera not do landscape? Why does your landscape camera not do wildlife? If you get your timing right, you don't need 14fps.....8 or 9 is still very fast!

WANT and NEED are two very different desires!

Over the years I've wondered about posts on here as to a specific camera body for one type of photography and I've never understood the reasoning.
My 450D could handle landscape and wildlife as could my 40D, 50D and now my 80D.
I could also shoot fast moving cars with all of them and this is one aspect people have banged on about with frame rates.
Before DSLRs came along there were plenty of good photos of birds in flight and fast moving cars taken on film SLRs.

I've rarely NEEDED a camera since my 350D but WANTED quite a few - takes a long time to understand that a really good lens for the appropriate subject is far more important than the actual camera.

The only major update after the 350D was my 1Ds MkII full frame.

But with the advent of AI Gigapixel and its ability to make huge images from small ones I will probably keep my Canon 1D MkIII and 40D and maybe sell the others - I think 5 cameras is, really, a bit of overkill.

Same with my lenses.

Same with my lenses.

You've hit the nail on the head, lenses are in investment
As an example look how long the Canon 70-200L IS f2.8 and 100-400L IS were around for before the mk2 versions were released.
I know some frown upon people using EF lenses on cropped bodies but we are not stupid, we know the zoom range is not true like on a full framed body but we also want the sharpness that an L lseries lens produces.

I have all L series lenses including the 70-200mm f2.8 mk2 the canon 100-400mm mk1
Just thought I might be better off moving from 2x bodies to 1.

You've hit the nail on the head, lenses are in investment
As an example look how long the Canon 70-200L IS f2.8 and 100-400L IS were around for before the mk2 versions were released.
I know some frown upon people using EF lenses on cropped bodies but we are not stupid, we know the zoom range is not true like on a full framed body but we also want the sharpness that an L lseries lens produces.

Well the FOV is different on a crop camera but the zoom range remains the same.

My Canon 1D Mk III is a 1.3 crop so lies just nicely between the FF of my 1Ds MkII and the 1.6 crop of the 40D.

Well the FOV is different on a crop camera but the zoom range remains the same.

My Canon 1D Mk III is a 1.3 crop so lies just nicely between the FF of my 1Ds MkII and the 1.6 crop of the 40D.

Quite a few year ago I read something on here that (If I remember correctly) 1.6x focal length = true focal length of an EF lens on EF-S body ?
However, it could be my old grey cells confusing me :D

Quite a few year ago I read something on here that (If I remember correctly) 1.6x focal length = true focal length of an EF lens on EF-S body ?
However, it could be my old grey cells confusing me :D
No, 'True' is completely wrong as that means the lens would somehow change its focal length when mounted on an APS-C body. The correct description is 'equivalent'. So a 35mm lens mounted on a Canon APS-C body is equivalent to a 56mm lens on a full-frame body but at no time does it stop being a 35mm lens.

Back